The Shaking Washing Machine

I just bought a brand new washing machine (Whirlpool GSW9800P) and I'm having a hard time getting it balanced. It's sitting on a linoleum floor and every time it goes into its spin cycle it starts to shake, rattle and move across the floor. I've tried adjusting the front legs repeatedly, but it's just not doing the trick (either that, or I just haven't found the magically height). Any suggestions on what I can do/try?

Thanks.

Reply to
newbie24

New huh, Make sure all the packing materials and shipping bolts have been removed. See the manual for where to look.

Level the rear first then adjust the front legs last. Put the level on all

4 edges and both diagonals.

If all else fails, wash fewer clothes. If it is unbalanced with a very small load, there is more than just the last degree of leveling going on. Call the service hotline.

Reply to
PipeDown

I have the LSW9700 and have the same problem, sorta. It's level on a concrete floor.

With heavy loads, it does it about 70 percent of the time during the high spin cycle.

With smaller loads, about 5-10 percent of the time during the high spin cycle.

Bought in January, been doing since the day we brought it home....

Reply to
timbirr

Reply to
John Lawrence

Nope, all cords yanked, blocks unblocked and incantations chanted as per directions. :>0

Reply to
timbirr

May be obvious, but did you use a level on it? You may try moving the washer a few inches--it may be in "a sweet spot." My washer danced around a lot too, but I found that a 4x4 placed behind it help a lot and prevented it from bouncing up against the back wall. Whirlpool has a customer 800 help line (I believe in Knoxville, TN)--call them!

Reply to
Phisherman

This is not likely but it did happen to me.

Most washers nowadays have automatic levelers on the back legs. My new washer did the walk-about from the day I had it installed. Don't recall how I found the problem but:

One of the rear legs had come out of the bracket. Snapped it back in and no more problems.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In that case, you are overloading it. Just because it holds a lot of clothes dosen't mean it can handle them.

You may also have a machine with a poorly balanced drum. Not sure how to convince service it is a warantee-able item.

If it is still "Brand New", complain to the store and ask for a replacement of a different model similar price. A big box like best buy might do that to please you. Just tell them it dosen't perform to your requirements.

Reply to
PipeDown

Since it sometimes does it with small loads, I don't think being overloaded is entire issue.

If it is something I can fix myself, fairly easily, I'd like to do that. I live way out in woods and it is a chore to get anyone to come out, even more of a chore to get the proper directions to the place to them (turn right at the stump next to where the Gilroy's old barn used to be).

Finally, the washer is jammed into a tight space which requires me to remove a floor to ceiling cabinet full of canned fruits and vegetables and haul the cabinet outside, whenever I need to replace a machine.

The last repair guy I had here to fix my old machine, some nine years ago, insisted I remove the cabinet before he could work on it.

However, you can work on it with the cabinet in place, it is just a REAL pain....and you have to be really skinny....

Reply to
timbirr

After leveling tighten the leg nuts.

Reply to