The right side of my breaker panel is warm to the touch.

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 21:44:01 -0700, catnip

*IF* you have only standard breakers, I'd worry.
However, if you have a slew of those new breakers to satisfy the 'arc over' problem; naw. They self heat and make the area warm.
Any special instructions if the Moaners Hub poster has FPE Stabloc panel?
On 8/16/2013 9:32 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

replying to RobertMacy , catnip wrote:

Thank you for your help!
replying to catnip, catbyte wrote:

Should
Thank you for your responses. More info: I listened to the breakers as advised. There is no sizzling sound. I noticed that all of the warm breakers were labeled AFCI. Does that give a clue to the problem?
Thank you very much for your help!
message

Yes! The AFCI breakers contain small power supplies for the electronic components that live inside them. That could easily account for the heat.
--
Bobby G.

replying to Robert Green , catbyte wrote:

Thank you for your help Robert!
message wrote in

heat.

You're very welcome. You actually answered your own question when you noticed they were all AFCI breakers. The answer to this question also made me realize that an AFCI breaker "stuffed" circuit panel might attract more bugs and other vermin than a normal panel because it's mostly sealed up and warm in such areas. The last mouse we had lived in the basement near the water heater and traveled from there all the way to the kitchen and back stockpiling all sort of kitchen detritus in the nest. No mice since we got a little dog, though!
--
Bobby G.

On 8/16/2013 8:48 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I agree that is probably why the breakers are "warm".
replying to bud-- , catbyte wrote:

Thank you for your input!
Your problem is using a web forum to invade Usenet.
On 8/16/2013 8:44 PM, catbyte wrote:

On 8/16/2013 7:44 PM, catbyte wrote:

If the panel cover was hot enough to burn your hand, that would indicate a real problem. It must be fairly new to have arc fault circuit breakers installed, a type breaker which trips when an electrical arc is detected in any circuit connected to the breaker.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fault_circuit_interrupter
If you're really worried call your electric company to find out if a tech for them would come out and check the temp of the panel at no cost to you. The power company here is really good about that sort of thing and the fire department (don't dial 911) may have a fire marshal willing to drop by and assuage your fears after checking the temp of the panel. The ones I know would rather find out that a citizen has a problem that needs fixing rather than meeting him outside his burning house. If it really has you worried, there are electrical installation and repair companies that will send someone by to check it for you at no cost as a way to get you as a customer. The honest service companies are out there, ask around to find someone who will check it for you. Your peace of mind will let you sleep at night. Be safe. ^_^
TDD
replying to The Daring Dufas , catbyte wrote:

Thank you for your further help Daring Dufas!