The real McCoy?

The company I work for bought a "Maytag" dryer almost two years ago, from Lowe's. The motor shorted out yesterday. The repairman said the dryer is not a genuine Maytag because a genuine Maytag motor would have been warranted for more than one year.

I had been considering a Maytag Neptune washer, but now I'm not so sure. How can a consumer with no training in appliances tell if he is purchasing a real Maytag or not?

Note: I'm not bothered that the dryer motor failed, because it is used every day {bed and bath linen}. I just wonder if a genuine Maytag product might have held up even longer.

Thank you. Michael A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

Only a question: if it is not a "genuine Maytag" then what is it? A Bangladeshi knockoff? A space alien decoy? If it is somehow not "genuine" then I'm sure that the "real" Maytag corporation would be interested in knowing about it. Also, a visit to

you can plug in your dryer's serial number and find out what the warranty period really is might be educational.

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks for the URL. I'll try it out.

The repairman, who has been around for a while, explained that Maytag had bought out certain companies and that those companies now make products that are close, but not Maytags. Because the companies are owned by Maytag, the products can bear the Maytag label. That's all I know. A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball