The Problem with Kitchen Islands

Not every island has plumbing and electrical. They are just cabinets with countertop and casters to make them portable.
David Combs wrote:

Hi, No problem it's taken care of at design stage. Island is not fixed permanent. It can be moved easily few feet any direction if needed. But we did have any reason to move it yet after 10 odd years since the house was custom built from scratch.

My sister in law has a kitchen island and I think it's great for them ...When food is prepared on the island and the girls are helping each other with a meal , it's a great way to have a glass of wine, converse right across from each other while preparing food together... Also during harvest time shelling peas and reaping other benefits from the garden it is great for that. Great for demonstrating the kids on how to clean a fish as they can sit right across from you and learn.. I just built an entire second kitchen in our home these past few months. My wife has just opened a cake decorating business and according to the Canadian Govenrment health laws we can't sell food from our home in the same kitchen we use daily...It had to be a seperate kitchen...... So in building the second kitchen (cake studio) we put in an Island as it will be a staple in decorating a wedding cake, Bday cake etc. She already has a rotating table to put cakes on and could do it on a countertop, but they look better on display on an island to give a better picture of what the final product will look like... so I am very much FOR having an island.... We also had a section of our overhead cupboards removed that came out from the wall (seperating the kitchen from dining room) so we could use the countertop as an island and breakfast nook.... Jim
Jim wrote:

Hi, Our island can be work bench, table for pot luck supper when folks gather, grocery bags stay there until put away. Don't have to put them on the floor bending down. Some times we pile up news papers books we are reading. Yes, it is really an island between two counter tops. We have separate dining room for formal function. Nook between sun room and kitchen for casual eating. Sounds like a sour grape who does not like it. I guess every one is entitled toone's own opinion. Good luck with your cake business. Tony from Calgary in snow now.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, And now, who is attacking walk thru pantry? Is it design flaw too? My god, my house is full of design flaw!

No. There are many factors in kitchen design and use. No one design is best for everyone for every job to be done so you cannot make generalizations. We do not have an island, don't have the room for one, but often use the kitchen table for the uses an island would serve.

True to a point but my last kitchen had 24' of counter top. That would make one hell of a long counter following your design criteria and a long way to the sink, not to mention inefficient.
My kitchen is likely to have three or four operations going at the same time, all needing a work area. The stove may have a pot or two cooking and some space is needed to hold seasoning, utensils used during the process. At the same time, bread may be rising and kneaded. In another spot, I may be grinding meat for sausage. I'll need three large stainless steel bowls to separate and mix the seasonings for three different types. Grinder gets put away, now the stuffer comes out and space is needed to make the links
While this is going on, a cake may be mixed too. Items are coming out of the fridge while others are going in the fridge. Some will be transported to the freezer or second fridge. It can be a very busy place.
Plenty of people are content to have morning coffee and later heat up a can of Chef Boy-ar-dee for dinner. They probably don't need an island.
A friend had a very large kitchen with a table in the center. Each corner had a door; outside, dinging room, to the basements, to the powder room. One wall had the refrigerator and range with counter, the opposing wall had the sink and lots of counter space. It was a horrendous design that looked spacious, but was terrible to work in with that layout. Moving the table to one side and putting an island would have saved miles of walking.
On Sat, 29 May 2010 00:03:56 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

My kitchen is empty about 23 hrs and 33 min a day. TV dinners take 9 min in the microwave.
It was much busier when I was drinking beer.

I've yet to see an HGTV kitchen that was much more than an ostentatious display of granite. I don't think anyone has really cooked anything in those showoff kitchens.
But keep in mind that square feet of walking space in a kitchen is generally wasted space. In a busy kitchen, you sort of don't want clear paths everywhere, because that generally means that surfaces for stuff are too far apart, or just not enough table surface area.
Jim Yanik's solution of a moveable island is what I have, for now, and works well. Don't even need locking wheels, if it's heftier than a cart.
Carts/islands that can slide under countertops give big bang for the buck, as well. You can position stuff/work surfaces where you need them, and then shove things away. These carts can have shelves, as well (costco has/had them, about $70, nice big wheels, locking).
An island can be made with a dry sink, or if you feel creative, quick connects for water. Mebbe even a car battery with an inverter?? :) :)
--
EA