The Plumber

Page 1 of 2
I'm the person who asked about how much a plumber would usually charge to replace an existing faucet in a tub/shower with the customer providing the fixture. He said they don't charge by the hour but by the job and this would cost $400.
My husband's in the wrong business.

I got three quotes for the exact same work, involving the replacement of some iron pipe in my basement with PVC. This was not emergency work - they could've planned it any way they want. The numbers:
$1900.00 $1400.00 $ 550.00
What's interesting is that the guy who provided the middle number did pretty much the same job in my previous home for around $600.00 two years ago. His explanation for the difference: "Travel charges - I was already at your house for something else". Eight hundred in travel charges? The guy lives a mile away, not in South America!
They charge whatever they want.

Especially when it's a couple of lazy dumb shits like you!
In this world of DIY, that is one of the easier tasks. Anyone that can't pick up a pamphlet (free at most stores) or look on line on how to do simple plumming DESERVES to be charged out the ass.....
Easy there, the OP is a person who was following up on his first posting on behalf of an elderly lady and the second post was a guy with a somewhat larger scope of work than a simple change of a faucet. Both are probably within an average DIYer's capability, but I wouldn't expect my grandmother to change out her bathtub faucet (of course, there's no shortage of family members who would do that for her, including myself).
oops, make that "the OP is a person who was following up on HER first posting..."
Sorry, Pat - just noticed the "my husband is in the wrong business" comment.

Thanks for the tip. Keep in mind, though, that some of us are gainfully employed and don't have time to spend a whole day (or two) on a major project. You, on the other hand, could do this job at a time when Jerry Springer is in re-runs and you're not too busy banging your mother or sister or whoever you guess she is this week.
Keep up the good work.

But you want to deprive a plummer of his right to work?
Fuck you and your family too....
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:10:03 GMT, "Red Neckerson"

I guess it's only fair that since you've been fucking your family, (when you can't find a goat that's willing) Doug should fuck his family?
Commodore Joe Redcloud

I'll have you know I fuck sheep and not goats.

Heap big douchebag.....

At least I can accurately identify mine.

I can identify your's too. Especially your mom (I just look for the hairy back)....
Funny how a simple question from someone that might really need some guidance ends up in the toilet by a bunch of people. (a plumbing joke....)

Red Neckerson wrote:

What happened to adding, "And the horse you rode in on" ?
Shoosh, this place is beginning to sound like a middle school cafeteria.
You guys should just direct each other to:
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy /
Jeff (Not being serious here...)
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

LOL
I use that web site quite a bit...
;-]

I'll bet you wouldn't work "all day or two" for $400.
Red Neckerson wrote:

Plumming is picking a particular fruit from trees. Plumbing is work that involves pipes and water.
The person who was the subject of my initial post is 72 years old and in a wheel chair. I suggest you withhold judgement until you know the facts.

Doug Kanter wrote:

enough people to believe that need to pay 3-4 times what is reasonable and that is exactly what they will be charging. Shoot, I think I'll just repair a couple of things around my house each month. I'll make more than I did before I retired!
George E. Cawthon wrote:

What sort of philosphy is that? Next you'll be telling me that the three different gas stations at the same interesection didn't come up with identical pricing on their own!

You can see all their prices when you're stopped at the red light. Not quite the same as with plumbers. :-)