The old cat urine question?

My ancient male cat, 20+ lbs, for the first time in 15+ years, decided to whiz in a corner of a carpeted room. After I drop kicked him out into the back yard (just kidding) I researched this and purchased a gallon of Natures Miracle Advanced Cat Urine Stain and Odor Remover.

I lifted the rug and soaked it, the foam padding, the floor and even removed the nail strips leading into the corner. After letting soak for a day I've had a fan blowing into the area (with the rug lifted up and a 2nd fan blowing out an open window just above the area. That's been going now for three days and there's still some lingering aroma.

At this point I'm ready to rip out the carpeting and pad and have the floors refinished but that unfortunately is more than my budget will allow. So, I am hoping that some of you readers may have experienced this situation before and have some fool proof (I'm the fool) techniques to eliminate the odor.

As I sit here holding my nose, I will appreciate any advice provided (short of shooting the cat).

Thanks

Reply to
bobmct

ripm out and toss rug, scrub floor and rinse well... let dry and eep cat out of room.

then coat floor with OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE, the outdoor is oil based and the only one that will work.

what you must do is seal the odor in as its impossible to remove....

Reply to
hallerb

CUT out the carpet in the corner, discard the pad, then paint the floor with KILZ (the oil based original)a couple coats. Then ceramic tile that corner and put a plant there. One the cat won't crap in.

Reply to
Steve Barker

bobmct wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You got advice on the carpet aspect. As far as the cat, long ago I had the same thing happen. Perfectly clean cat for over a decade. In males (mine was fixed), it is often caused by crystals in their urine/bladder or other infection. You see, we can't understand much of their complex extended vocabulary of movements. They have to whack us with a 2x4 to get our attention. A urine sample to the vet for starters. If that produces no info then probably a blood test.

Reply to
Red Green

Check

We had a similar problem with older cats and the method appears to have worked very well.

Reply to
James Dent

Good advice. I once had a male cat that had cystitis and was clearly trying to indicate he was in distress by going in and out of his litter box repeatedly without doing anything. Vet gave me some "Uro-eze" powder to mix with his food. The writing on the bottle was smudged, and what was written as 1/4 teaspoon every 6 hours became 4 tablespoons every 6 hours. Needless to say, he couldn't walk a single step without whizzing. I picked him up (trailing drops of cat piss all the way) and put him in the dog's crate with some old rags until the stuff wore off. Fortunately, he suffered no ill effects from his accidental "cleanse." The dog, however, was quite miffed that his digs were taken over, even temporarily.

Almost a decade later, he whizzed in the house again and I scolded him. He ran, like he always did when he knew he had done something bad. I found him several hours later under the shrubs, dead from a shredded bladder. I still feel guilty for yelling at him when he couldn't really control himself. )-: Vet said even had we gotten him in right away, there's not much they can do with that sort of damage. Taught me a valuable lesson about not getting angry before I know all the facts.

He had been raised with a litter of puppies and thought he was a dog until the day he died. Even played fetch like a dog. Had him since I was a kid and rescued him from Clove Lake Stables in Staten Island where the stablehands were about to toss him down an old well hole. Caused me to become a lapsed Catholic because the parish priest told me there were no cats or dogs in Heaven. "What kind of a ripoff is that?" I thought.

So yes, take that old fella to the vet, he's trying to tell you something.

As for cleanup, I used Nature's Miracle, lots of applications, lots of rinsing. Still, as someone else noted, the smell is never quite gone. One series of humid days brings back the odor, not very strongly, but strong enough to be a bother. Be happy the cat was neutered. The smell of unfixed cat piss is unbelievably potent. Nature's design, I suppose, to make sure their territory stays marked even after a rainstorm. I once had a roommate who worked for a vet and brought home all the "rescues" and the place smelled like a stable. The cats would jump on the kitchen counters to escape the dog and as often as not, there would be a puddle of piss greeting you when you went to make the mornng coffee. But even than was not intolerable.

I moved out when one of them whizzed on my bed and it soaked through so that it was not visible. Eeeeewwwww! I love animals, but you've got to draw the line somewhere. That line is coming home from work, exhausted and lying on the bed only to realize there's something wet. Eeeeewwwww again. The only worse experience was siphoning gas with a tube that had a cockroach inside. Ptui! No, wait - stepping on puppy shit in my bare feet.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

If you want animals, get a dirt floor.