The need to "vent" . . . even at Christmas

I turn the reostat to full and wait. Mmmmmm, mmmmm, then after a while rurrrrr, rurrrrr as the exhaust fan kicks in. If I turn the reostat down, the fan cannot pull the load and no venting occurs. I suspect it's grease. And, aside from being a potential fire hazzard (I guess?), it is annoying to not have full use of the ventilator hood.
Do any of you have a suggestion (short of replacing the hood) to fix this problem? I don't want to remove the entire assembly to make the repair, but if that's what it takes. Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.
Happy holidays and thanks in advance.
Abbott

When was the last time you serviced the fan motor? Check that bearings are well oiled, and the fan rotates freely.

The only fix that will work requires access to the motor. If it not too cheap a unit, you may be able to clean the motor and blades with a good degreaser and then relubricate.
Otherwise you will need to replace the motor and/or blade assembly..
PJ

This is Turtle.
I can not see it from here but here is what I think anyway.
I think by what you have said that the two or one air damper doors are stuck shut. You have the fan motor and then above the motor is a air damper to keep down drafts of air from entering your home.
Now the motor being slow to start is a sign of it is sticking with trask or grease and needs to be cleaned and oiled every 30 years weither it needs it or not. This explains the slow start of the motor.
Now the air damper sticking to keep the air from flowing to roof top. Remove the metal type filter and you should see the motor and the air damper just above the motor. Disclaimer thing here. Turn the power off to the vent fan before going any farther here. Then take a wooden spoon or long screw driver and lift the two doors and see that they are not stuck with a build up of grease and are stuck shut. Shove the two door open and then return power to vent hood and turn on vent fan to see if it will pull the smoke out doors. If so you have to clean the air damper where the seal is when it shut at the edges for the damper doors will stick again as soon as it has time for the grease to bond again. Your going have to clean the damper doors to stop the sticking of the dampers.
Now to cleaning the damper doors : Turn the power off to the vent fan and remove the hanger bracket that holds the motor and blade and let it hang down. Then take some degreaser or 409 cleaner on a sponge or rage and clean the damper real good and really good at seal at edges where it seals off. replace motor and blade and put everything back together and then turn power back on and run it. Then be happy your venting in style. A man must vent everyonce in a while.
Now if this does not work , well Lowes and other hardware stores sell these things for about $69.00 or so and comes in 2 speed , light , and in Stainless Steel or Painted metal. I will say this if it is over 20 years old. Invest in a new one and you can postpond this problem again out 20 years from now. I'm rich and had a credit card in my pocket and was not max'ed out yet and got a new one. I call rich is when you have a credit card in your pocket that is not max'ed out yet. I call you poor when you max'ed out your credit card.
TURTLE