The movie "Argo"

Page 5 of 5

Very interesting. Example?
Here's one sure to interest you. Heh Heh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_E17nZIQ-4

Now tell me it ain't true.
On 8/25/2013 2:09 AM, harryagain wrote:

The English narrator had an interesting accent, is is a Liverpool accent? ^_^
TDD

Not Liverpool. Maybe Nottingham.
Liverpool (Scouse)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPADrZ7Sa8M

On 8/27/2013 2:46 AM, harryagain wrote:

Here in The U.S. we seem to be losing our wonderful regional accents because I noticed a while back that all the kids are starting to sound alike. It's a conspiracy to destroy individualism and turn the citizenry into gay drones. Sometime in the future, natural reproduction will be socially unacceptable and children will be clones and test tube babies gestated in robot mommies. ^_^
TDD

Television does it Duf.
The accent in that clip is not strong as in only a few decades ago. Pretty much garbled
On 8/28/2013 3:16 AM, harryagain wrote:

Well, as communication and entertainment become more instant, fads and trends can propagate very quickly through the population affecting the young adults and children who are easily influenced by what they see and hear. I have a feeling that one day there will be an Earth accent with everyone sounding almost the same and the English language in one form or another will be the "Earth-speak" everyone uses. Of course The French will be the last holdouts. I doubt the chief engineer on a starship will ever speak like Scotty from Star Trek. ^_^
TDD

Due primarily - IMO - to television.

I think it is good. Generally. It enables people to understand each other.
In 1956 I was driving with new wife from Indiana to Mexico City for our honeymoon. We stopped somewhere in Texas at a drive in restaurant to get a bite to eat; the car hop might as well as been speaking Hungarian, couldn't understand a word out of her mouth.
There are pockets of resistance though...if you have ever watched "Lizard Lick Towing" you'll know what I mean. Probably Boston too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 8/28/2013 10:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:

You think it's good to turn the citizenry into gay drones? Darn! That's a little too Politically Correct. I suppose "My two Mommies" and "My two Daddies" would be the norm for children in the future. ^_^
TDD

customer tech in Atlanta than New Delhi at times.....

Amazing. That's one of the reasons I still buy Lenovo laptops. At least I can understand Atlantese.

Heh Heh. You Yanks don't travel much. Now this is hard English to understand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
dW623e8xA

Harry is just jealous because some here have back yards as big as that has been hole he lives in.

A "been hole"?
I think I have a nicer place than most here reading between the lines.
On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 06:07:17 +0100, "harryagain"

"has been", dumbshit. ...but even you're not stupid enough to believe your lies, harry.

What is between the lines is the same stuff as between your ears, harry. Nothing - just empty white space.

harry's place.
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2011/08/10/1713680/life-under-the-bridge-homeless.html
nestork wrote:

I saw the movie and was entertained.

I remember well. I was there during the revolution and didn't escape until October 1979. The embassy overthrow happened shortly thereafter where over 50 people were taken hostage. The American school I attended had closed down and we didn't get out quick enough. I missed my entire 9th grade. Watching demonstrations outside my bedroom windows, people getting killed by the military in the streets, the mullahs taking over, daily television images of executed government officials, and the constant fear of the front door being broken down and being hauled off to prison was our constant thoughts.

The movie depicted the Canadian ambassador as the only one brave enough to help. What else can you ask for?

Jimmy Carter is an embarrassment to the United States and is singlehandedly responsible for the rise of radical Islam through his inactions and hand wringing. Barack Obama is doing all he can to continue Carter's foreign policy mistakes, although deliberately in my opinion. The USA is a laughing stock and paper tiger today.

Affleck is exactly right. I think there also was a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie claiming something similar to that.

I was most intrigued by the airport scenes. My father had bribed some government officials to grant us exit visas so we could fly out of the country on Iran Air. We had fake Iranian passports and were sweating the whole ordeal as we sat in the airport for hours and dreaded something bad happening. We didn't breathe freely until we had actually landed in Europe and switched planes.