The movie "Argo"

Page 4 of 5

Well we are, largely, direct decsendents of the Colonial British...

Not with a name like Kurt Ullman. :-)

I did say LARGELY (grin)

Heh Heh! THIS is your folk hero. A bit better documented than ours. Hence Herman the German. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius
On 8/27/2013 2:27 AM, harryagain wrote:

Heck, he was quite old when he died. ^_^
TDD

As long as they frame it with his fingers.

That's easy; a Brit.

What's an amoeba ever done to you?

That sounds a bit Injun" You also into scalping?
Regressed to the barbarian stage.
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:07:07 PM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:

So, even Ambassador Taylor is not saying that the idea to create and use a Hollywood movie as the cover to get the Americans out was an idea created by Canadian officals, as Nestork claims. As I said, I agree Canadians played a major role, right from the start. But I think Nestork is probably more inaccurate in what he's claiming than the movie. The movie Argo showed:
The incident started by the 6 Americans managing to flee to the Canadian embassy where they were given sanctuary and kept hidden for months, either there or at the ambassador's house.
The fake Hollywood movie idea was conceived by CIA agent Antonio Mendez, and put together with the help of a real Hollywood producer, including fake press releases about the movie, opening a fake movie office in Hollywood, etc.
Mendez and others posing as those producing a scifi movie and scouting for a location to shoot it, went to Iran, got together with the 6 Americans at the Canadian embassy and then escorted them out, with the 6 posing as having just come there recently as part of the movie scouting visit.
The movie I think did show that the Canadians at the embassy in Iran were at considerable risk for their lives the whole time. It showed what happened at the US Embassy in Iran, the violent protests in the streets, people be killed, etc. It was clear that if the Iranians discovered what the Canadians were doing, the same thing that just happened at the US Embassy could have happened to them too.
I don't recall it showing who exactly produced all the fake documents required. It did show that the fake cover story included that while the movie involved Hollywood, the producers and company behind it were supposed to be Canadian. It showed the 6 leaving posing as part of that Canadian crew, so of course they had fake Canadian passports and I think Argo did show that Canada provided the passports. If Argo specifically showed the CIA making up those documents, then I would agree that was very unfair to Canada.
Like so many movies that are drama based on historical events, stuff was added for dramatic effect. The scenes showing the Iranians having figured out that something was up, still chasing them by car as the plane was taking off, etc were made up. That's pretty typical. When I saw it, I figured a lot of that had been put in for dramatic effect.
It appears per what you just posted, that they showed the Canadians telling the Americans that the embassy was going to close soon and they needed to get out soon and that was untrue. I can see that being something that was made up and being perceived as unfair to Canada. I'd like to see that part again to see exactly how that was portrayed.
But overall, for a dramatic recreation of a historical event, I don't think the movie was out of the norm or particularly unfair to Canada. If Nestork doesn't like this, I wonder what he would have thought if say Oliver Stone had done the movie like he did JFK. If Stone had made Argo, it would probably have shown some sinister US and Canadian businessmen in a dark room in Ottawa planning to screw all the Iranians and take their oil. The heroes would have been the Russians or some other commie creeps, who saved the day and helped the Americans escape. In other words, it would have had no resemblance at all to reality.
And I'm still very curious to know whether Nestork even saw Argo.
Per nestork:

Keep in mind that it is just a movie.
Argo comes on like a documentary, but it's not and, AFIK, does not claim to be.
I probably watch more movies than most, and I have to keep reminding myself that I am seeing somebody's fantasy or private version of reality. "Inspired By..." and all that.
Documentaries are a separate case and some of them I take at face value. "The Devil Came On Horseback", for instance.
My recalibration came when I watched the director's interview for "Fargo".
Fargo begins with a realistic-looking "Names were changed to protect the innocent..." scene and it really looked to me like somebody's attempt at a documentary.
When that was put to the directors, they replied in the vein "It's a *movie*... if you believe any of it, you got what you deserve."
--
Pete Cresswell

Yah, Marge Gunderson woulda sorted out those Iranians, you betcha.
On 08-20-2013 13:41, nestork wrote:

Don't blame "us" for what some dingbat in Hollywood does.
--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!
On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:41:11 +0200, nestork

Taking "all the credit"? It's America's way of saying "thanks".
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:41:11 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Best line of the movie: "Argofuckyourself"
On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:13:05 AM UTC-7, Thomas wrote:

Do you have a link? I couldn't find. YouTube doesn't have.
TIA
HB
Cute. A fake movie about a fake movie.
What will they think of next?
--
Wes Groleau

What kind of smiley is C:\ ?

Pretty typical. TheYanks love to rewrite history. They won WW1 and 2 unaided. They think they defeated Russia.
Soon they will have won in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. When Hollywood comes up with a script. Only in the USA are people credulous enough/short memory to take this crap in.
Watched "Lincoln" the other day. Mawkish crap. He was as bad as Saddam Hussein in reality.
On 8/22/2013 3:08 AM, harryagain wrote:

Heck Hairy, perhaps you don't know the difference in an entertainment movie and a documentary? Both can be based on truth or can be works of fiction but most folks assume a movie is a work of fiction and a documentary is based on true facts. It really depends on the producer of the work. ^_^
TDD

If you make a movie about a historical figure then it should be accurate. If you want to do fiction, then the characters should be fictional. That way we all know where we are. Even the credulous.
If you don't do the above, we are talking propaganda. But ah, you do live in a fascist state as is being revealed more and more every day.
On 8/24/2013 2:11 AM, harryagain wrote:

I know darn well, as most folks do, that the scriptwriters must spice up any script when making a movie. A movie is entertainment with "some" basis on historical fact and if movie makers want their production to make money, it better not be boring. Even with "The Dumbassification of America" and the rest of the Western world, I doubt anyone believes that Abraham Lincoln was a vampire hunter. Here in the U.S., we have P.L.L.C.F, Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks producing so called "documentaries" that are nothing but propaganda filled with politically slanted codswallop. Al Gore and Michael Moore are fine examples of Moonbats producing delusive documentaries. O_o
TDD