Page 3 of 5

wrote in message

No, that's what you believe. I hear rednecks in the USA still wear coonskins, Some sort of rat? pic of him here. No sign of any coonskin caps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett
Per snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

Yeah, but didn't they get SAVAK too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAVAK
--
Pete Cresswell

An American institution. Still up and running in theUSA
On Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:59:35 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

That under the Shah, SAVAK had the islamic nut case extremists under control is precisely the point.
I'm just hoping that the new President of Iran is willing to show the world that Iran's Uranium enrichment program is being done STRICTLY for the use of Uranium as a fuel in nuclear reactors.
This "catch me if you can" game that the former president was playing is like playing Russian Roulette with the human race. If we poison this good Earth that we live on with radiation, there is no where else to go.
Almost certainly, life is abundant in our galaxy and universe, but the distances between planets that can support life are so vast that our moving anywhere else won't be feasible for hundreds of years. This playing games with nuclear weapons is the last thing we need.
--
nestork

Almost certainly is isn't. I hope you're not a "Trekkie"
On 8/25/2013 1:54 AM, harryagain wrote:

What if he's a fan of Dr. Who? ^_^
TDD
On Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:56:42 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Good grief! How can he show the world what is obviously not true? The extent of the program, the type of eqpt they've bought and continue to try to obtain, the secrecy, the links to Pakistan's A Q Khan and North Korea clearly show that the program is not for use in nuclear reactors for power.
Now, if you said you hoped that he would get Iran to stop their nuclear weapons development program, that would make sense.

Ima Nutjob was indeed a bad guy. But he wasn't running Iran and neither will the new guy. They real power is in the hands of the nutty Ayatollah. Maybe the new guy can move them in a better direction, but given their 30+ year history, I would not bet on it.

Given the path we're on, it seems increasingly likely that we'll see a nuke used sometime in the coming decades. There are many ways it could happen and between North Korea and the Islamic nuts who would be happy to die and take a million with them, we're headed in that direction. However, don't worry about moving to another planet. We survived the use of a couple in Japan and the open air testing of dozens more. As it looks now, any new nuclear war would be limited, not an all out exchange between superpowers. More likely an attack of some kind on the USA or Israel, and then the turning to glass of a country or two in response.
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 05:31:09 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Quite likely but given that 9/11 cost the US economy more than $1T, what do you think a nuke in the harbor would do? The economy would like take decades to get back to even.

Wouldn't happen. Not PC. Stern words would fly, though. Maybe even a warning.

We flew from the UK to the Falkland islands, the longest war time bombing mission ever. We won that war. You lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. Shitferbrains.
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 07:40:36 +0100, "harryagain"

You're lying again, harry.

We won in Granada, too!

Obama lost them, sure (though your sister hasn't sung on Iraq, yet).

That's sure an appropriate siggy.

From the same source.
"Alexander Haig who was charged with mediating the dispute between Britain and Argentina also stated that he did not believe that Reagan authorised the covert supply of weapons. This, he said, was due to Reagan's administration being a 'loose ship' with a 'flawed system' of conducting policy. When Snow asked Haig if he thought Reagan was responsible for the flawed system, he responded by stating that it was not Reagan's fault but the fault of his staff."
So, more legend.
And there were certanly no AWACs from the USA
The USA has often supported nasty fascist regimes when it suited. From Argentina back then to Saddam Hussein and a whole range of nasties in Central/South America.
On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 1:41:11 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

Did you watch Argo?

So, you're saying it was Canadian officials, not the CIA who came up with the idea of creating a fake Hollywood movie being filmed in Iran as the cover to get the Americans out? That CIA operative Antonio Mendez, who Afleck portrays, is lying when he says he conceived the idea and put it together?
"Of all the groups heading into Iran, it wasn’t implausible to imagine a group of self-absorbed Hollywood eccentrics traveling there in the middle o f a revolution to find the perfect locations for their movie.
Beyond that, it had the one quality that I felt the other potential cover s tories lacked. It was fun, which I knew would help the six “houseguests. ” We were going to walk them out through Tehran airport and right onto a commercial plane. They might be stopped; they might be questioned about wha t they did. And they needed to be comfortable with their new identities. We figured anyone knows enough about Hollywood to fake a little movie-making patter.
Now I needed to convince everyone else at the CIA—and the Canadians—tha t this crazy idea was our best shot. And we had to work on the back story. We needed a Hollywood office, so if the Iranians’ people called our peopl e, they’d hear something on the phone that confirmed we were legit. We wo uld need to set up our own production company, which I had decided to call “Studio Six Productions,” after the six houseguests trapped in Iran. An d we needed to plant ads and articles in the trade press about our new proj ect.
Our first priority was to get office space [in L.A.]. Film companies often are created and disbanded overnight, so the film business caters to short-t erm leases. It only took us about an hour of calling around to find what we needed. Apparently, Michael Douglas had just finished producing The China Syndrome and we could have his offices on the Columbia Pictures lot.
I had brought a list of the houseguests in Tehran and their various ages an d names. Any credible person in the film business would need a long string of previous credits. The trick was finding those kinds of jobs that give a person clout— art director, cinematographer, transportation coordinator —without the kind of marquis billing that a director or producer might ge t, which would be easier for the Iranians to check. "
He goes on, but you get the point. If you have a Canadian who claims they conceived the idea and put together most of it, got Holywood involved to create the cover story, etc, I'd be happy to read their version.
Canada made up fake passports

I believe the idea for the escape was planned by and mostly executed by the CIA. Did Canada play a major role, yes? Those Canadians at the embassy put their lives on the line right from the beginning, allowing the Americans to hide in the embassy. I think that part is clear from the movie. I don't doubt that they helped create ID's, cover stories, helped lie, etc. But I don't think that changes the fact th at it was a CIA plan to get them out and that the movie has a lot of it right.

The whole thing was a secret operation. There were no news reports at the time.

Ben Afleck is an actor. And like all movies, the writers and directors take liberty with the facts. Antonio Mendez was the real CIA agent who is played by Afleck and what Mendez said, is in part above and his version is consistent with the movie.

Did you see Argo?

Here's what diplomat Ken Taylor himself says about that affair: <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/awards-and-festivals/film-awards/ken-taylor-sets-the-record-straight-about-argos-take-on-the-canadian-caper/article9044112/
--
Tegger

Thanks, Tegger.
'Tegger[_3_ Wrote: > ;3109973']

"On Monday, Taylor said he was mollified by former U.S. president Jimmy Carter telling CNN&#8217;s Piers Morgan last week that the film greatly exaggerated the CIA&#8217;s role and underplayed the Canadians&#8217; contributions. &#8220;When a U.S. citizen makes that case, it really has an authenticity to it, and a disinterest,&#8221; said Taylor. &#8220;He&#8217;s just clarifying those first three months.&#8221;
"Mollified" means pacified or appeased.
Jimmy Carter was President while that Canadian Caper happened. He says he was briefed every day on what was happening with the twenty something Americans that were being held hostage by the Iranian revolutionaries and the remaining six that were living in property owned by the Canadian government. If anyone knows what actually happened, it'd be President Carter, and he's saying the film makers both greatly exagerated the CIA's role and underplayed the Canadian role in the rescue.
I think this is just the film makers wanting to make this film more appealing to the larger American audience.
--
nestork

Of course.
Canada is an insecure, stifled, dull nothing of a country. And all the money is in the US anyway.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Insecure?
Which country is turing half of it's citizens into police - to lord over the other half?
Stifled?
The only thing we have stifled here is crime and the role of gov't in our lives.
Dull?
I'll take "dull" if it means we're not killing ourselves by the dozens at schools, movie theaters and military bases.

You mean all the debt.
On 8/21/2013 7:26 AM, Home Guy wrote:

What percentage of your population is African Canadian and radical Muslim? ^_^

I'm sure Canada owes no money to anyone. ^_^
TDD

The USA is a busted flush in hock up to it'seyeballs in debt, public and private Due to greed an acquisativeness. The Canadian economy is quite well off.

Americans all want to be great heros full of marvellous ideas. The fact they have to lie shows the reverse is true.
In fact they are a clueless bunch of pongos, running about the world inflicting their stupid ideas on luckless people everywhere who own something they want to thieve.