The movie "Argo"

You're an optimist.

Always (grin). Not really. I just think that through sleight of hand and creative bookkeeping the politicians will be able to keep most of the excrement off the rotating air movement device that long. You will note I DID say large and cumbersome since we are currently missing another opportunity to possibly save our bacon.
Per Kurt Ullman:

The zinger is going to be inflation. I don't know how they're doing it, but it seems to me like somebody is already cooking the books. I reach that conclusion by comparing my recurring bills to the published inflation rates. Beeeeeg diff.... and, once you print a trillion dollars, what else can happen? Maybe there's a little delay... velocity of money and all that... but sooner-or-later the whole amount is going to hit the streets.
OTOH, some of the people who suffer the most (members of my generation on fixed pensions... myself included) probably deserve it because it was us, as a country, who put those clowns in office.
--
Pete Cresswell

As soon as the economy is allowed to grow, it' all over. The debt has to be paid.

You're probably right. Don't worry. Obama and company will seize your pensions before that.

Emotional optimism, operational pessimism is the only answer.

I don't. The pile under the rug is already too big to be ignored.

You got that right! Oil and gas would be the way out of this mess, if it were allowed. If the government just did *NOTHING*...
On Friday, August 23, 2013 8:04:20 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I agree.

In the last 4 1/2 years, has that slide you speak of been slowed down, stopped, or has it been greatly accelerated? I know what my vote is.
nestork;3110505 Wrote: > Yeah, I was hoping I could get some of the Americans in here to feel so > awfully bad about that movie they might offer to send me some money or > something.

--
nestork

Not sure it's *every* director but it sure does seem to be popular to rewrite history for dramatic effect. I remember a stink erupting over the movie "Lincoln" depicted a Connecticut vote on slavery incorrectly:
http://articles.courant.com/2013-02-08/business/hc-lincoln-courtney-screenwriter-20130208_1_key-vote-lincoln-screenplay-open-letter
<<The movie's error - first reported by Courtney on Tuesday in an open letter to director Steven Spielberg - was how two of Connecticut's three House members were depicted voting against the 13th Amendment. After consulting the Congressional Record, Courtney found that all four - not three - of the state's House members voted for the amendment. In his letter, Kushner said that the methods of changing the nitty-gritty details to serve a dramatic purpose are well within the standards for a historical drama. "I hope nobody is shocked to learn that I also made up dialogue and imagined encounters and invented characters," he said.>>

I have to laugh at this because anyone who's read a newspaper article about a subject they are well-acquainted with (or are even a part of!) knows how much the "alleged" reporters of fact get wrong. Names are constantly spelled incorrectly, quotes wrongly attributed, technical facts obliterated, etc. Those are part of perils of working under time pressure. Movie directors tend to get stuff wrong on purpose for "dramatic effect" but the end results are often the same.
My wife (USAR COL RET) and I had a knock-down, drag out battle with a non-military shrink friend about "The Hurt Locker" - the film about bomb disposal experts in Iraq. Either their military advisor was drunk or the director was determined to damage her own film with some pretty obvious mistakes that almost every serviceman/woman we are friends with caught and complained about. My feeling is that if you don't bother to check your facts and get the little details correct you're sabotaging your film. Getting little details wrong makes people wonder if you haven't got the big details wrong as well.
While our shrink friend insisted the changes were for dramatic effect, anyone familiar with military protocol was irked by things active-duty soldiers would never do. The taxicab that runs the roadblock? It would have become a burning cinder long before it penetrated as far as it did in the movie.
There were numerous other errors, including the kid selling CD's being allowed to set up so close to living quarters. Not allowed for obvious reasons. Or the ease with which the lead actor was able to leave and return to the Green Zone surreptitiously. Obviously if he could leave and re-enter bypassing security checkpoints, a suicide bomber could enter the same way.
FWIW, this time I DID find the site that covers movie history "errors"
http://www.moviemistakes.com/
Jeez, you are not alone with your complaints against "Argo." (-:

My favorite lunar astronaut story supports that view. A reporter was trying to get one of the Apollo astronauts to describe how he would feel if the return capsule's engines had failed and he knew he had one only one hour left to live. "How would you spend the last hour of your life?" His reply? "I'd get to work trying to repair the engines!"
--
Bobby G.

Don't forget "Brave heart" Another bunch of Yank lies.
On 8/22/2013 3:20 AM, harryagain wrote:

Is that anything like King Arthur and Merlin The Magician? ^_^
TDD

There is little known historical basis for King Arthur. So any tale could be true or not. The film stuff is based on Victorian fantasy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur#Tennyson_and_the_revival
On 8/24/2013 1:43 AM, harryagain wrote:

So it was all a fabrication? Sort of a LIE. ^_^
TDD
wrote in message

Not all of it. There was an Uther. But he lived long before the days of plate armour and stone medieval castles. He lived in the post Roman era. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uther But it is classed in with Snow White and Red Riding Hood in the UK. No-one actually believes it , it is legend not history. We draw aline between fact and fiction.
Unlike the Legend of Davy Crockett for example Fervently believed to have valiently died at the Alamo by most Yanks. Who was actually captured running away and executed by the Mexicans.
On 8/25/2013 1:14 AM, harryagain wrote:

You still don't get that entertainment with some historical figures involved is always produced with artistic license. Do you not grok what legend means? Harry Potter is real, ask any child. ^_^
TDD
wrote in

Quite right Duf. Entertainment for children and the none-too-bright.
On 8/27/2013 1:54 AM, harryagain wrote:

I love comedy, when I watch a movie dealing with historical figures such as "History of the World, Part I", I laugh myself silly because I know that there are a few people who will actually believe it's a true representation of history. ^_^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_World,_Part_I
TDD

Do you have anything to substantiate that other than de la Pea's book which has been pretty much discredited by accounts of survivors?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
wrote in message

That is the story according to the survivors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett#Controversy
wrote in

That says nothing about him being "captured running away and executed by the Mexicans" which was your claim.
It does say, "It is believed that many stories, such as the surrender and execution of Crockett, were created and spread in order to discredit Santa Anna and add to his role as villain."
"Running away" and "surrender" - even if that iwerecorrect - are two very different things.
dadiOH - 1 harryagain - 0
--

dadiOH

Bollix. The black man was just the one and no doubt worried about going back into slavery. So, curry a bit of favour. The majority (Mexicans) said he was executed.
Sixteen corpses and Crockets knife buried in one of them is just too Hollywood.
There is no report on how the corpses died. They would just have shot him if he wouldn't surrender. No corpses. (Except his) Why go near him?
Anyway, look at his picture. A fat git. How would he kill sixteen Mexicans? (Did they have MacDonalds even back then)
So logically he was caught alive and being Mexicans and aggrieved, they executed him. Fairy nuff.