The movie "Argo"

Page 1 of 5
I watched a TV documenary made by the Canadian Broadcasting Company about the movie "Argo", which supposedly documents what happened during the 1979 Hostage crisis in Iran.
Those of you who are old enough to remember know that in 1979, religious radicals overthrew the government of Iran. They stormed the US embassy in Tehran and took twenty-something American diplomats hostage. Six American diplomats and agents were spirited off to the Canadian embassy in Tehran where they remained hidden until Canadian officials put a plan together to get them out of the country. Canada made up fake passports and ID for each of the hostages, and made up a story that they were a film crew out to scout a location in Iran to film a science fiction movie to be called "Argo".
The film has caused a bit of sarcastic humour here in Canada because it plays down the Canadian role in the crisis, and plays up the American role to the point where it depicts the whole "Canadian Caper" as it came to be called as being planned and executed by Americans, with Canada merely providing the embassy where it all took place.
Former President Jimmy Carter, while at Queens University in Toronto receiving an honorary doctorate degree for his charity work commented on the film. He said he was disappointed to see that all of the heroic and imaginative things done by Canadians to get the American diplomats out of Iran were left out, and they were largely replaced by even more heroic and imaginative, albeit fictitious, things being done by the supposedly "American" actors. He said he received updates every day on what was happening in Iran with the hostages, and it went down exactly as the news reports of the time said it did.
Ben Affleck, who plays the hero in the story who hatches the plan to get the US diplomats out, and supposedly organizes and executes the whole caper responded to reporters asking him about the storyline by saying: "Don't learn your history from the movies."
C'mon guys. We really helped you guys out back in '79. Don't gloss over our role and claim all the credit for yourselves.
--
nestork

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:41:11 +0200, nestork

Maybe Canada should have made a movie first.
On 8/20/2013 10:41 AM, nestork wrote:

since when, ever, have you known hollywood to get history right?
affleck is correct. what makes you think that we (the us) is doing so when you're referring to a movie (ie: fiction)?

The trouble is most Yanks don't know fact from fiction. There's at least one here thinks Jesus was from America. (Or similar mad theory)
On 8/22/2013 3:11 AM, harryagain wrote:

Pfttt, everyone knows Jesus is from Mexico, he upholstered the interior of my friend's car. ^_^
TDD
On Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:11:22 AM UTC-4, harry wrote:

Compared to most of the horse shit you believe and post, that's far more plausible.

Many of us remember what Canada did. We also remember what Carter did not fo.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Yea-
Carter did not start and get you into an endless "pre-emptive" war in Iraq that cost you your economy and your domestic privacy and liberty.

Looks like the new war might be in Syria. I wonder if the US public rmember the WMDs lies last time. Will they wait until it's verified?
Heigh ho. A new war. More poor American boys will die while the rich in America get richer.
Hey, I heard that the US government is reneging on all the bribes it offered to the young recruits for Iraq war. ie, they won't get to go to college after all. Next, they'll be closing the vets hospitals.
<stuff snipped>

Movies about history should merely be considered "teasers" for finding out what really happened. There must be a site for movies that diverge from historical reality.
There are an awful lot of one-off's about various movies but only this site seems to have tackled more than one:
http://www.cracked.com/article_17326_6-movies-based-true-story-that-are-also-full-shit.html
and they take on "Mississipi Burning, A Beautiful Mind, Remember the Titans, The Last King of Scotland, Hoosiers, Frost/Nixon."
Other sites have complaints about "Gladiator, Zero Dark Thirty, The Hurt Locker, etc."
There is a book, however:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
The comments mention dozens of movies that have had minor to major "fixes" made to them.
Carter was a pretty awful President because of a number of shortcomings, particularly his poor understanding of how "sausage (law) is made." Ironically the failed hostage rescue attempt may have resulted in something that really needed doing - the passage of the Goldwater-Nichols Act:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater%E2%80%93Nichols_Act
that literally forced inter-service cooperation and interoperability between the Army, Navy and the Air Force:
<<The Goldwater-Nichols Act was an attempt to fix problems caused by inter-service rivalry, which had emerged during the Vietnam War, contributed to the catastrophic failure of the Iranian hostage rescue mission in 1980, and which were still evident in the invasion of Grenada in 1983.[1][2]>>
So, even a dopey President like Carter could end up doing some good by setting the stage for ending (ha, ha - maybe "lessening" is the right word) inter-service rivalry and improving cooperation during joint missions. If nothing else, it made sure that Army, Navy and Air Force radios could "talk" to each other. Mostly.
--
Bobby G.

Robert Green;3110394 Wrote: >

> out

I expect EVERY movie director trying to make a movie based on actual history takes liberties with that history to make his movie a bit more exciting and dramatic.
In the movie Apollo 13, there is a scene where the actors playing Jack Swagert and Fred Haise get into an arguement about "whose fault it was" that the explosion happened in the liquid oxygen tank. All three astronauts objected to that scene being in the movie because it never happened.
In an interview after the movie was released, the Commander of Apollo 13, Jim Lovell, said there was never any finger pointing amongst the crew over what happened. He said that astronauts most often tend to be former test pilots, and test pilots have to be able to keep their focus when things go topsy turvey. By that time NASA moon missions had become fairly common place in the public's mind, but all of the astronauts knew how complex the Saturn V rocket, the Command Module and the LEM were and that anything going seriously wrong with any system on any of those pieces of equipment could lead to disaster. So, when they realized that the mission was going to be scrubbed in favour of getting the astronauts back alive, they simply resolved to keep their focus on getting back to the Earth so as to make the best of the situation they had been dealt.
Ron Howard left the argument scene in the movie despite the astronauts objections simply because he felt it would add excitement and drama to the movie.
--
nestork

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:52:31 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:

You're overlooking that a terrifyingly large segment of the film-going public actually thinks that "exciting and dramatic" movie is true!!! They will never read, in book or on-line the real history behind the corrupted film version. I don't see that as being in the public interest, or helpful in children's education.
HB

Americans can't handle the truth.
"Higgs Boson" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:722f2e81-2f34-4f93-826a-

No, but I am more concerned with what the *voting* public thinks is true that is not. Death panels, economic myths like "tax cuts pay for themselves" and so much more nonsense that is passed among "true believers" like that Nazi screed SM recently posted. <sigh>

Shakespeare was a practitioner of rewriting history. Richard III's reputation is only lately being restored after Will savaged it to curry favor with the then current Tudor monarchy.
< http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/The-Battle-Over-Richard-IIIs-BonesAnd-His-Reputation-190400171.html
<<Of course, Shakespeare's depiction of Richard III is about as historically accurate as any period film Hollywood ever produced-dramatized to a point just past recognition. But on the other side, there are the Ricardians, who see the much-maligned king as a victim of Tudor propaganda.>>
So even before movies, it was popular to rewrite history both for the history books and for historical fiction.
Not sure how that's ever going to get corrected or if it should be. You can tell pretty quickly if someone's studied actual history or whether they've absorbed pseudo-history from the movies. Separates the wheat from the chaff.
--
Bobby G.

Per snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

Dunno about revenue, but the debt appears to have increased 20% under Reagan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_public_debt (scroll down to "Historical debt levels")
--
Pete Cresswell

Debt can only be run up by acts of Congress (and this is the same no matter who is president). And the RR cuts were all passed by Dem-controlled Congresses, by big bipartisan majorities.

They why the hell don't you educate yourself?!

Idiot!

Per snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

But Bush had a Republican majority during most of his tenure (6 out of 8 years) right? Praises to whoever spoke out from within the ranks, but the bottom line is that a Republican president and a Republican congress ran up the credit card balance a *lot*. Medicare Part B being a case in point.
Lest anybody think I like the Democrats any better, I would say that most members of both parties are just politicians pandering to an increasingly ignorant and decadent populace and bought-sold by large financial interests.
Some of them may have cared about the country early in their careers and a few may still care but, overwhelmingly, these guys live to get re-elected... period.
My opinion is that the USA has passed it's prime and is headed to Hell in a hand basket. But, like the Titanic, it's just soooo huge that it's inertia/momentum will carry it along for quite awhile - albeit on a downward trajectory.
A major breakthrough in solar energy capture or a mutation in some as-yet-unheard-of virus or E. coli might change the game at any time but, for the here-and-now, we're on the long slide down.
But I'll be dead and forgotten before the fecal matter really hits the fan.
--
Pete Cresswell

to rethink your position. We stand a very good of being a rather large and cumbersome Greece within 15-20 years.
Per Kurt Ullman:

Let's not go there.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell