The Home Despot takes a turn for the worse.

Page 2 of 4

aemeijers wrote:

I live near a hardware store like that. Same wide planked creaky wooden floors. They even have a counter where you can bring your knives/tools/whatever to be sharpened. Bins of nails and screws. All kinds of stuff, I could hang out for quite a while. I buy what I can there because I don't want to see the place go, not that they're hurting for customers.
nancy
Add pictures here
✖

It's actually pretty easy for stores like that to compete with the BORGs. Often it's the best news that they can get if a BORG opens right next to them. The same reason that furniture stores and car dealerships tend to coagulate. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 4, 10:33 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

What is a BORG? Tx
Add pictures here
✖

What is a BORG? Tx
BORG = Big old retail giant also know as a big box store. Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/5/2010 5:25 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29
Add pictures here
✖

Big Orange Retail Giant, a.k.a. Home Depot, but Lowes and similar often get lumped in.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:33:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

As I mentioned elsewhere, our local such place is actually cheaper for a lot of things - I think the big box stores often rely on their customers thinking that they're the only choice in town, and so they price high.
The new Menards is going to be right next door to them, though, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 16:12:55 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson

I haven't noticed any local pricing differences in HD or Lowes, if that's what you mean by "interesting". I haven't shopped in Menards enough (don't like 'em, though) to know.
Add pictures here
✖

We have one of those here in Santa Monica as well. Busy Bee. Amazing what they get into a small space. And knowledgeable staff. Anybody around this area remember Gerald's in Westchester? They had these great olde-tymers who really knew their stuff. Sigh!
Add pictures here
✖

That's what my wife calls the woodworking stores; "stores for big-boy toys" (not for big boy-toys;). We found one in Atlanta that's really nice. It's not the typical chain store[*], rather looks like an old wood-floored hardware store. She even likes looking at the tools in that store while I'm drooling over the toys. ;-)
[*] There are four woodworking stores we make the rounds of when we're in Atlanta, every couple of months. The others are typical strip-mall store-fronts.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 4, 12:31 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I took my wife with me to Rocklers recently, found everything I was looking for, checked out and then spent another 1/2 hour trying to get her out of the place.
Add pictures here
✖

If I'm on a business mission to buy something weird (to make a free-standing medieval pavilion, to wire up an anime costume made entirely out of leather belts, etc.), then I go to HD, because there are NEVER any employees to bother you in mine. I just wonder around various departments looking at all sorts of things until something designed for a completely different purpose jumps up and yells, "Over here, I'm what you need! I can help you make it work!"
If, on the other hand, I'm looking to buy something to repair or improve my home, I go to Lowe's, because they have a lot of very helpful people who smile, but don't bother you. They wait until you have a question, and they can usually answer it. And the answer is almost always correct! Ok, so the store's less than a year old, but still.
The local Wayside hardware is great, but only open 10-4, M-S. The Ace Hardware is good as well, with slightly better hours, but still usually closed when I need something.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/4/2010 3:39 PM, BobR wrote:

She's a keeper.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

OH YES! And I have kept her for over 35 years now.
Did I mention that she also helps me and supports my longest running project building an airplane? She does insist that I get a few things done around the house though.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:37:19 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

That or there was some terrible mishap in the adhesives aisle ;-)
Add pictures here
✖

Rockler's, at least the one in Atlanta, is really strange. I like browsing in the store but I rarely buy much. I spend a *lot* more in the Woodcraft (and since I found it, Highland Woodworking). In fact, the ratio is pretty close to my Internet purchases; very little from Rockler and quite a bit from Woodcraft. I really don't know why.
Add pictures here
✖

I know what you mean but I have bought some things there that I haven't been able to find elsewhere or at least couldn't find the quality I wanted elsewhere. Bought their dovetail jig, router bits, and some specialize jigs for cabinet making that were of much better quality. I also found the best selection of drawer guides there.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/4/2010 6:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with Rockler's but I've known Highland Hardware before day one. I was there first!
I've been doing all my general hardware shopping here:
http://eastpoint.doitbest.com/home.aspx
One of the last of the real hardware stores with knowledgeable help that actually know their merchandise. All the standard stuff that you get blank looks at at HD, they have no problem with. The owner, rightly so, says he can only compete on service. It's kind of like going in Rosing to buy paint. They don't waste your time and they don't sell you stuff you will regret. And they stay very busy because of that. When you only think price, the cheap comes out expensive.
I still miss having a real lumberyard nearby...
Jeff
In fact, the ratio is pretty close

Add pictures here
✖

I just found Highland on our trip In April (her birthday). I've been back on business trips three times in the last two months. ;-)

Cool! I haven't been down in that area of town. Our next trip is planned for the third weekend in October. There is some sort of craft fair in Stone Mountain, or something. I think we'll spend a couple of nights then (found a great, cheap, place to stay in the Perimeter area).

I've missed that for years. I can't remember the last decent one.
Add pictures here
✖
Jon Danniken wrote the following:

Especially when the floors squeaked.