The GROWLER

My ceiling fan has started to growl at low/medium speed. It's not on a dimmer. It's not a mechanical ( bearing ) noise. I replaced the "run" capacitor with a similar cap from Home Despot.

???

Not much left to replace.

Reply to
Anonymous

Hey you call it the "Despot" too! Right on.

Reply to
Eigenvector

That has all the earmarks of a loose fastener somewhere in the fan motor or in the overhead suspension system.

I'd say you should start looking for that kind of thing.

It could also be a loose winding on the motor field. A splash of 5 minute epoxy will correct that. (Once you find where it's loose. )

We just returned last nite from an extended weekend trip down to a friend's home near Orlando. The guest room had a fan suspended from the high point of a peaked ceiling. The fan was slightly out of balance and produced a once per revolution short "grunting" noise at low speed which once in a while skipped a beat or two.

Twas most disconcerting when I tried to fall asleep. The noise, though not very lound started pounding in my brain.

The next day I tried prodding on things with a broom handle and could make the noise "go away" by pressing against the suspension "pipe" near where it emerged from the ceiling box. I borrowed a ladder, lowered the box cover and found that the two screws which held the piupe's supporting flange into the box were both loose by several turns.

Snugging those screws up made the noise go away for the rest of our nites there. But, I wonder how close to falling out they were and whether the wirenuts on the motor/lamp leads would have been enought to keep the whole damn fan from crashing onto us in the bed we occupied during our stay.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia