The Grass Is Greener When You Don't Mow.

Page 2 of 2

Unmowed laws allow the tall weeds to survive, some are classified as noxious.

Is this your opinion or a tested fact. My experience has shown that a dense short lawn becomes a sparse tall lawn, with less stems per square area the result is less plants per square area, there may be more but may be less leaf area.

Very generic statement, based on an estimate to prove a point. The worst mowers are the 2 cycle engines, some are good others not so good, this is proof of nothing.

Others love short grass, particularly the birds that seek ground insects.

I realize the ordinances use the word noxious, but the word means harmful. Harmful to what? And which plants are the ordinances referring to? Actually, there is no list of noxious plants, and noxious isnt defined legally. Its just a word the writers of the ordinances thought sounded good. Thus, there is yet another reason for the repeal of these laws. They are vague, perhaps unconstitutionally vague.

Its hard to measure the gas exchange of grass, and I dont have any research with any definite measurements. However, it stands to reason the more leaf area, the more stomata (openings for gas); then, the more gas exchange. But you are suggesting that not cutting reduces the leaf area by making the grass less dense. So, even though individual plants contain more gas exchange area, there may be less gas exchange area per land area with not-cutting.
If you compare an abandoned lawn, one that is uncut and unwatered, to one kept up, then it looks like the abandoned one is less dense. But the cause probably is the difference in watering not cutting. I didnt take a position on watering or not watering. Thats a different issue. But I would suppose watering makes the grass more effective at transforming CO2 to O2.
And my other argument, the pollution caused by cutting grass, is untouched by a rebuttal about the gas exchange. Lawn mower engines cause plenty of pollution of many kinds.
Typically lawn care uses either the two cycle engine or a small four cycle engine. Two cycle engines are inherently more pollution producing because they dont have complete cycles as with a four stroke engine. Some un-burnt petroleum gas is exhausted as pollution.
Small four stroke (stroke or cycle are just different names) engines are not as bad as two stroke, but they are still very much pollution causing. They have no anti-pollution measures that a larger car engines would. Theres plenty of information on this. I already linked to two sites, and its easy to find more.
Additionally, with lawn mowers, pollution is caused by spilt gasoline, and gas just sitting in gas cans or small tanks that eventually evaporates into the atmosphere.

How is this "proof of nothing"? Even a good two cycle engine causes plenty of pollution per unit work. But even if we ban those engines (which, BTW, have the advantage of being light), the small four cycle engines don't do well when it comes to emissions either. But we can substantially reduce the use of both kinds of engines if we don't mow. http://www.hikersforcleanair.org/papers/2cycle.html http://discovermagazine.com/2008/may/21-two-strokes-and-youre-out "Two-stroke engines produce a lot of pollution because the fuel-air mixture in them gets contaminated with the engines lubricating oils. Simultaneously the combustion chamber draws in the contaminated mixture as exhaust gases are expelled through an exhaust port. Some of the fuel and oil gets mixed with the exhaust."
The situation with polluted air is very serious, you know. People and other animals cough and die.

Birds would be better served if we didn't mow. In unmowed forest preserves birds thrive. In any case, cutting grass is unnatural.

~{|) Nehmo (|}~
-snip-

The 'natural' environment? [which, IMO includes mowed lawns]

Sure there are-- http://plants.usda.gov/java/noxiousDriver
Both federal and state lists. And I'll bet some counties have lists.
-snip-

I'm with you on the anti-mowing crusade-- I've never understood anyone's fascination with 'well manicured' grass. But some birds [bluebirds, robins, doves . . . probably others] prefer short grass.
Jim

Relevant jurisdictions will have a "noxious weeds list", which you can probably find on your ministry or department of agriculture's web site. Noxious weeds are ones that are a problem for farmers because they are hard to control and spread easily. It's in the interest of farmers (and thus everybody who eats food) that everyone prevent these weeds from flourishing on their property.
Btw, most of the plants on noxious weeds lists are non-native.
Nehmo wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a lawn mower with a 2-cycle engine. Does anyone even sell such a thing these days?

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Lawnboy_SilverPro_INDEX.html
...and Lawnboys are still some of the quietest gas mowers out there.

Let me see if I can properly re-format this thread:

Josepi wrote:

Ugh. Ok, so somebody is making wimpy 2-cycle mowers. I've never seen them for sale.
Wasn't there some emmissions laws passed a few years ago pertaining to small engines? Wasn't it supposed to make small engines (lawn mowers, snow blowers, chain saws, etc) cleaner burning?
And don't tell me that a 2-cycle lawn mower is going to be quieter than a 4-cycle one.
And who wants to mess with mixing oil with their gas?

You obviously haven't looked. LawnBoy has made two-cycle mowers for decades.

In CA, perhaps. Modern two-cycle engines are pretty clean burning.

The LawnBoy certainly is.

I certainly don't, certainly not with different mixtures for each tool. That's why my string trimmer/leaf blower/lawn edger is four cycle. One can of gas for everything.

If I don't mow for a while, I check for rabbits before mowing, and scare them away until I'm done.
If I don't mow wicked witch of the HOA complains.
Nehmo wrote:

I live in the middle of Phoenix and have clover lawns that I cut with a hand push mower three days a week. Some of my neighbors use sheep, goats, or lamas for their lawns. How are we doing?

Lamas smoke grass; Llamas eat grass.
Pavel314 wrote:

Thanks. Good mnemonic.

As ridiculous as not allowing clothes lines for drying clothes!
Who wants to see the neighbour, in his binoculars, beating off behind his venetian blinds everytime Sally Seductrice hangs out her frillies?
As ridiculous as not allowing clothes lines for drying clothes!