The Grass Is Greener When You Don't Mow.

Page 1 of 2

A painless method to reduce the human impact on the environment is to stop mowing grass.
In general, the only reason for mowing is appearance, and often, considering the location of the grass, the appearance can only be appreciated by a small number of people. Moreover, once people get accustomed to seeing uncut lawns, they may consider them preferable.
The mania about cutting grass has reached insanity. Many municipalities in the US have laws forcing people to mow their lawns, and people actually go to jail for not cutting their grass.
But my focus here will be the environmental impact.
The longer the grass, the more leaf area there is per land area. Therefore, uncut grass would be more efficient per unit land area at converting CO2 to oxygen – directly reducing the CO2 in the atmosphere.
Lawn mowers have highly polluting small engines. In one estimate, one hour of typical mower engine time is equivalent to an 100 mile trip in an average car http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=98532&page=1 . The EPA states mowing causes 5% of air pollution http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/faq-environment.htm . Reducing the use of these engines reduces pollution of many types.
Most mowing is in urban areas, where pollution is the worst and where most people breathe.
The habitat of many animals is disturbed by mowing.
It’s also worth mentioning that numerous accidents, many serious, are caused directly or indirectly by mowing.
~{|) Nehmo (|}~
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nehmo wrote: ...

Which (besides the unsightly g-awful mess it makes when left overgrown and untended) is precisely the "why" behind mowing ordinances to minimize vermin habitat...
βœ–

I drove by your house the other day. Very nice.
http://www.theangryhomeowner.com/images/blog/ugly_lawn_lg.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/16/2010 2:41 PM, Nehmo wrote:

I've been trying for years for someone to pay me not to cut the grass and I would sell them carbon credits for it. Sad state of affairs that there are no takers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Could I occasionally brush-hog the yard? Otherwise it'll be a 2-acre thicket of glossy buckthorn in about 5 years.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
βœ–
Nehmo wrote:

I notice you're posting from Austin, which explains almost everything.
Those of us in the real world don't give a fig about the things that are of monumental importance to hippies.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Some are people!
http://www.guy-sports.com/fun_pictures/grass_cycle.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–

This seems interesting because illegal in most countries with Anglo- Saxon-type laws. (Habeas Corpus forbids detention without charge, and disobeying a bylaw is an offence but not a crime.)
In Canada, where bylaws require that grass be mowed, non-compliant lawns are mowed by the municipality (after warning notice) and the property owner billed for this service. (Payment is enforced by the same mechanisms that require payment of property taxes.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

Many laws are environmentally unfriendly as this one is.
--
If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found

Of course you can go to jail in the US for not mowing your grass. There are not just bylaws in some HOA areas, but also actual municipal codes in many cases. Just try letting your yard get overgrown in clear violation thereof, get hauled into municipal court, get fined and ordered to rectify it, then refuse to pay the fine and remedy it. See what happens. You can in fact face jail time.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I have to remember that one next time the "Land of the free" agument returns...LOL

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 17, 8:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

.
Can you offer a citation for someone who has, in fact, done jail time for not mowing their lawn? AFAIK, municipalities are limited to having the work done and billing the homeowner. If the bill isn't paid it's the same as not paying taxes; the land can be sold at auction.
Add pictures here
βœ–

In Kansas City Kansas, a so-called Code Violation is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail. The first time fine, even if the situation is corrected, is typically $149.10. (but sometimes is $249.10. $49.10 is court cost) If you don't pay or don't show up for court, you go to jail. I'm personally familiar with the situation in that city (1), but with a short search, I couldn't find a good link. I did find one for Prairie Village, Kansas (part of the KC metro) http://www.pvkansas.com/codes/violations.shtml : "If violations are not corrected in the time determined by the Code Enforcement Officer, a Notice to Appear in Municipal Court (ticket) may be issued. When this occurs, the owner/resident must appear in Court. Upon conviction in Municipal Court, violators may be required to pay fines and/or serve time in jail."
These laws are local, so the penalty and practices vary. But yes, without a doubt, people are jailed for caring for their lawn differently than what some other people want. I consider this a first amendment violation, an infringement of freedom of expression.
(1) I watched several municipal Code Violation "trials". The defendant never won.
Add pictures here
βœ–
By your own statements, you cannot go to jail for long grass or "code violation" and your first sentence contradicts further statements posted by you.
You can go to jail for not complying with authority demands or violating court orders and such.
[...]

What statement of mine contradicts another? I repeat, a defendant _can_ go to jail for a code violation in Kansas City, Kansas. I'm sure in other jurisdictions it's possible too. In some other jurisdictions perhaps there are no laws on the issue.
` ~ - Nehmo
Add pictures here
βœ–
Here let me quote you the statement you contradict later. Common sense in N.America tells us this is incorrect with our legal systems.
"In Kansas City Kansas, a so-called Code Violation is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 6 months in jail"
Later you state it take another violation in a criminal law fashion to "go to jail"

What statement of mine contradicts another? I repeat, a defendant _can_ go to jail for a code violation in Kansas City, Kansas. I'm sure in other jurisdictions it's possible too. In some other jurisdictions perhaps there are no laws on the issue.
` ~ - Nehmo
Add pictures here
βœ–

om...
If being summonsed to court via a "ticket" which would indicate a CIVIL infraction which CAN NOT result in jail time is your example you clearly have no understanding of the law...
Your example sounds a lot like the people who were jailed were held in contempt of court either due to their conduct in the hearing OR for their decision to ignore the order of the court to pay a fine...
P.S. If the infraction itself was one that would result in jail time as a potential outcome you would either be arrested by the official pressing the charge and brought into court for an arraignment where the charge(s) against you are specified and described and you are given a chance to enter a plea or you would have been mailed an official "notice to appear" by the court and provided with an attorney at the time of the hearing if you did not bring one with you... You may not be brought before a hearing where the outcome of being found responsible is jail time without a court appointed lawyer being available if you can not afford your own attorney...
Also, a criminal offense can be a misdemeanor which only imposes a FINE when found guilty... Any jail sentence imposed would be a separate and distinct charge brought against you for failure to comply with the order of the court to pay the fine levied against you when you were found guilty and would be the separate result of a subsequent trial or hearing process...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
βœ–

.com...
I didn't cite any "civil infraction" (I'm not sure what you mean by that). The code violations in KC, KS, are criminal violations, as I said, misdemeanors that carry jail time. they are heard by Judge Roberts or Judge Ryan. Prairie Village, Kansas has similar laws.
There are several ways a defendant can go to jail for a conviction. True, one way would be the failure to pay a fine. Another, would be to fail to show up for court, and so on. But a defendant can go to jail, even directly.
* Nehmo
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not really, as the lawns would still *exist* and still need pesticides and fertilizers in order to continue growing...
The fertilizers and pesticides have much more of an environmental impact than the actual mowing of the grass...

Wrong... Uncut grass is fine for wild areas and large fields, but lawns?
If someone like yourself is so concerned about saving the environment, rip up your lawn and replace it with gravel... Las Vegas pays residents to get rid of their lawns... Saves A LOT of water...

Care to provide a link to an example or several examples of these "laws" that impose jail time upon someone for failing to comply with a civil ordinance?

ROFL... Are you serious?
A lawn is not a "healthy plant system" at all... Your theory only applies to healthy plant systems, not ones that depend on people to provide water, fertilizer and pesticides to ensure ideal growing conditions...
Want to have an environmental impact, search out information about organic lawn care and compost tea... Healthy grass has a DEEP root system that helps make the grass more hearty... Most lawns only ever get about 1.5" of root depth..

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:08:42 -0700 (PDT), Evan

It is the water district that pays for removal of lawns. I took 2/3 of my lawn out and they sent me a check. Just followed the rules, etc.
I now only have about 300 s.f. of turf for my African hound dog to use. It's been a very successful program.
..."Upgrade existing grass to water-smart landscaping and receive a rebate of up to $1.50 per square foot of grass converted to xeriscape."
http://www.lvvwd.com/conservation/ws_rebates.html
Add pictures here
βœ–