The government ruined the gas can...

Can't wait! Some young whippersnapper like you is gonna hafta wipe me.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Per Kurt Ullman:

Maybe somebody can comment on:

Understood that deficits/surpluses are technically different from debt as a percent of GDP.

My reading is that when Clinton left office in 2001, the US Debt was 32% of GDP. In the ensuing years, it went up, not down. Way up after the financial crisis... but always up post-Clinton.

Also, as I read it, the next closest to that 32% after Clinton was the

26% after Carter.

I'm assuming that "cbo.gov" is the Congressional Budget Office.

Is there room for differences of fact here?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

You can sit in your shit. You're already quite used to it, obviously.

Reply to
krw

He cut military spending, that is what Dems do. That was the alleged post-Cold War "Peace Dividend". Two major problems with the assertion that he declared SS off-budget is that it happened in 1990, 2 years before he took office and Congress is the one with sole jurisdiction to make those decisions as part of the budget process. Anyone interested, there is a rather interesting history of the on/off budget shenanigans at:

Kurt Ullman

Not quite but I did not say anything either. When I hear something so stupid, I don't try to teach them chemistry as obviously they have zero back ground knowledge. It was at a big table at a three day conference in Toronto on Canadian chemical regulations and the only day government officials came in for lunch with us.

All in all, at the time, a long time ago, I found Canadian regulations easier to work with than those in the US.

Reply to
Frank

Okay then, according to your own statements there was a surplus under the accounting processes legally in place at the time by the Congress. Otherwise, it is only your personal opinion that they were cooking the books (which I agree with BTW). However, Clinton was the beneficiary and not the instigator, which was the point before I allowed this other tangent to materialize.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

After reading this thread, I took a walk around the yard and gathered up a few of my Blitz gas cans, all relatively new.

I'll open a separate thread on just the engineering issues with the Blitz design, complete with detailed pictures ...

Reply to
Danny D

Why would one need nine gas cans on one's property?...unless one was a firebug? Or perhaps a collector of stuff people threw away "cause it was NO DAMNED GOOD. I hate these new vent-less cans...seems to me they tried to solve a problem that didn't exist or rarely existed. I've spilled more gas with these stupid things than enough.

Reply to
Roy

On Mon, 13 May 2013 13:51:53 -0700 (PDT), Roy wrote in Re Re: The government ruined the gas can...:

Welcome to the Nanny State.

Reply to
CRNG

I never said Clinton was an "instigator", though he certainly was. I never said that Clinton was a liar, though he clearly was. I said that *you* were a liar, which you, and all who claim there was some "surplus", even a "relative surplus" during the Clinton administration. The lie is wrong on *so* many levels.

...and you defend the lie, then deny that you're a lefty.

Reply to
krw

I don't mind the ventless cans. It's the damned valve that pisses me off.

Reply to
krw

Simple. Because nine is the most I can fit in my trunk.

I wish I got them for free. They're all less than a year old. Bought them all at Lowes.

Me too.

They are designed to only half the problem, which is to hold the gas *in* the can; but they forgot the other half of the basic requirement which is to allow the gas to come *out*!

Me?

I remove the cap altogether and simply siphon the 5 gallon cans into a vehicle and pour the 2 gallon cans into a funnel for the lawn equipment. I have a 1 gallon can for the two-stroke tools.

All I need is a good flat one-piece gas cap for all of them. If only I could find it...

Reply to
Danny D

+1

It's worse than useless!

This is what I do with the valve when I need to fill or pour some gas:

Danny D

I think the nanny state(s), with respect to gasoline containers, are all listed here:

Namely: - California - Connecticut - Washington, DC - Delaware - Maine - Maryland - Massachusetts - New Hampshire

Reply to
Danny D

I opened this thread on just the Blitz USA design flaws and the quest for a plain Jane gasoline cap solution:

TITLE: The Blitz gasoline can - what went wrong - what needs to be fixed URL:

TINYURL:

Danny D

Interestingly, you can buy that vent (for water jugs only, wink wink) online, at the site that Steve W. recommended:

They even recommend a 1/2 inch blade-type (wood) drill bit over a spiral flute drill bit (they say the hole won't be round with a spiral bit).

Once you've added back the missing vent, then you can follow the YouTube video which shows how to modify the spout to allow the gas to flow again.

Reply to
Danny D

Steve W suggests this:

Danny D

I agree. I don't use the spout except as a "cap", so, I'm on a quest for a dozen caps to fit.

Ideas welcome ...

Reply to
Danny D

"new" and "old" caps do not interchange, thread size changed so that option is out.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've been reading up on this.

The CARB/EPA apparently worked in cahoots with the gas can manufacturer (Blitz USA, in Chapter 11 currently, who advertises they sell 75% of all the gas cans in the USA, says so on their web page).

Together, they "designed" the gasoline to stay *in* the can. They did a wonderful job meeting that requirement!

The problem is that they never looked at the second half of the requirements equation ... i.e., that the gas comes *out*.

EPA/CARB = 2 points Consumer = 0 points

Reply to
Danny D