The government ruined the gas can...

Page 5 of 7

Granted. OTOH, don't buy a plastic gas can to sit in yer Jeep's spare fuel carrier. UV light will rot that plasic jes as fast as rust rots steel.
nb
Not jes gas cans, but sippy cups, too!
No lie. I bought a couple sippy cups --those kiddy cups with the row of small holes in a flat hard spout sticking out of the top, so as to reduce spills for toddlere-- for my Alzheimer mother. Not only do they NOT have a vent, thereby restricting flow when a vacuum inevitably builds up, but they come with an on-demand valve that stops ANY flow unless the drinker actively creates a noticable suction on the nipple. IOW, the only way my mom can get a drink from this sippy cup from Hell is to suck on it till her eyeballs are touching the back of her skull. Fortunately, the valve is removable and I'm gonna drill an itty-bitty vent hole to eliminate any vacuum build-up.
Chrystonacrutch! ....you'd think a toddler was gonna kill 'imself or try and rule the world, the way they've got this simple cup locked down.
nb
Per notbob:

A long time ago somebody wrote a science fiction short story about the time when self-replicating robots had taken over the world.
One of their prime directives was to keep humans safe.
The final result was that everybody was imprisoned in padded cells eating jello and writing with crayons.
Jingoistic as it sounds, I kind of liked Philip Mudd's statement last month: "America is not the land of the safe. America is the land of the free... and the home of the brave."
--
Pete Cresswell

On 05/11/2013 01:19 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[snip]

[snip]
I must have missed that one, but I did read one where the robots were programmed to make people happy. Even when that requires brain surgery.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 5/10/2013 1:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Nothing in that paragraph is true in my household.

Aww, you're no fun. You've got to learn to work up an idiot rage despite the fact that things get better every year.
Me, I'm really pissed that the 3 CFLs I put in our driveway lamp haven't burned out in 4 years. I was just getting used to replacing all 3 every 6 months. Now I might forget how to get in there and change the bulbs. It's not fair.
--
Dan Espen

In what parallel universe would that be?
On 5/11/2013 11:43 AM, notbob wrote:

IMO, a lot of "it" is perspective and some lack of education.
My wife and I tend to research large ticket items (most of the time at least) :)
Also, we buy a lot a Costco, so if the product doesn't live up to snuff we return it.
Perspective? Luck? I'm not sure but, if you buy something that doesn't work well the buyer needs to accept some responsibility.

I'd say it's a lack of lifelong experience.
I remember when refrigerators lasted 30 yrs. I remember toilets that didn't spit doody water all over the seat/floor upon flushing. I remember when top loading washers got clothes clean and didn't retain 30% of the dirty wash water to sit and ferment in the machine between washes. I remember when Cuisinart food processors had a lifetime warranty on the motor. No more. Don't tell me about newer being better. It jes isn't so. Perhaps the return policies are better, and well they should be, cuz the products are now short term junk.
nb

My late step-mother used one of those wringer washers clear up into the mid '70s. It was all motorized and she had a modern kitchen, but she'd do all the wash once per week and while the next load was agitatin', she was running the last load through those wringers. Sucker still worked when she died.
I also remember when car windshields would last 10-15 yrs before becoming so hopelessly pitted they needed replacing. Now, the soft glass lasts 2-4 yrs max.
nb

Hmm, my vehicles are 12 and 13 years old. I've only replaced one windshield and that was because of a 10" rock kicked up by a truck. I certainly haven't replaced 6 to 12 of them.
On 5/11/2013 1:51 PM, notbob wrote:

See. That's it exactly. I have a food processor that's going on 30 years. A fridge that's over 10. Two low flow toilets that work flawlessly. A Whirlpool Duet that functions better (more efficiently) than the old Whirlpool I donated to the buyers of my old house 10 years ago. Which probably still works fine.
A couple of thing I've bought that didn't perform up to expectations:
1) Sealy "Posture Perfect" bed. I bought it from the Room Store.
2) A Dell laptop "Inspiron" 15. Best Buy.
I don't think the names "Cuisinart" or "Kitchen Aid" mean what they used to mean.
On the other hand, most of the things I have purchased have functioned even better than I expected.
Maybe it's the "glass half-full" type of thing. :)

You are both right. Some stuff is better, others stuff has been cheapened to the point that it is crap.
Anything electronic is cheaper and better.
Hand tools of good quality are hard to find.
Refrigerators have more features, but they do not last as long.
Cars no longer need rings and bearings at 50,000 miles and grease and oil changes every 1500 miles. When is the last time you pulled the spark plugs to clean them?
The 1.6 gallon toilets function very well. Originally, you needed 3 or more flushes to clear the solids.
Most clothing is thinner, cheaper, and not as well made
Houses are often built with cheaper materials, but do have more features. More energy efficient too.

Far cheaper and far better, though it doesn't necessarily last longer. I'm quite happy with that tradeoff, though.

There are perfectly good "homeowner" grade tools around. If it matters that much to you, Snap-On is still in business.

More efficient. Cheaper, in real $$, too.

Other than the grease, that's mostly a result of the switch to lead-free gas. It wasn't without its costs, though.

For you, perhaps. Every one I've had still has problems occasionally. The ones in this house won't always flush water completely.

Less maintenance, and *much* cheaper.

Much larger, too. Like cars, I think there was a low point in construction about 30-40 years ago.

Since they have such a wide range of tools, there's no way they make most of 'em. I hadda return a cheapo trigger-pump oil can that may have been branded Snap-On, but it was made in China and broke on the 2nd stroke. Junk!

I'm so sick if this stupid myth. I ran 10% alcohol regular in my cars for 5 yrs before it was mandated. Improved performance in every vehicle. Stopped the pinging in my Dodge 318 V8 van and I sold my Honda Civic with 250K miles on the engine and it still purred. My two Harleys ran great with never a hiccup. The only thing I see that doesn't seem to work is small motorized tools like gas trimmers and chain saws. From what I've read in this group, that's more cuz quility has gone down the crapper than from alcohol gasoline

A cathedral ceiling is not "larger". It's less floor space.
nb

The size of the average house has increased from 938 sq feet in the 50s to 2,700 square feet in 2009 and that has nearly doubled from 1,400 square feet in 1970.

I've seen 'em. I don't need a closet big enough to park my car in.
nb
On 5/12/2013 12:54 PM, notbob wrote:

Old grump! :)

I prefer curmudgeon. ;)

No, just an old fart who never grew up and is now going the other way towards diapers and strained prunes.