The government ruined the gas can...

Page 4 of 7
On 5/11/2013 8:39 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Right. If not for Ross Perot, we would not have had Clinton.
Per Harry K:

I heard Monica has written a new book in which she trots out the most explicit details. Sounded to me like he was a little kinky.
But still.... Clinton *did* leave a budget surplus.
Reasonable people can argue how and why... but the surplus is a fact of history - as are the ensuing deficits.
--
Pete Cresswell

The usual leftist's lie. The national debt went *up* every year Clinton was in office. The books were cooked by borrowing money from SS, federal pensions, and other sources.

No, it's a damned lie, or worse, a statistic. One that must be veiwed through a leftist's prism to see.

But in fairness to Clinton (and you know how much that pains me), those were practices that were in place LONG before he came on the scene. So, he did have a relative surplus since these bookkeeping shenanagins were in place before he came on the scene.

Okay then, according to your own statements there was a surplus under the accounting processes legally in place at the time by the Congress. Otherwise, it is only your personal opinion that they were cooking the books (which I agree with BTW). However, Clinton was the beneficiary and not the instigator, which was the point before I allowed this other tangent to materialize.

I never said Clinton was an "instigator", though he certainly was. I never said that Clinton was a liar, though he clearly was. I said that *you* were a liar, which you, and all who claim there was some "surplus", even a "relative surplus" during the Clinton administration. The lie is wrong on *so* many levels.
...and you defend the lie, then deny that you're a lefty.
From what I remember Rush saying, WJC slashed military spending, and declared social security to be off budget. I can have a surplus, too, if I don't pay my car repair bill, and declare my rent to be off budget. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote:

The usual leftist's lie. The national debt went *up* every year Clinton was in office. The books were cooked by borrowing money from SS, federal pensions, and other sources.

No, it's a damned lie, or worse, a statistic. One that must be veiwed through a leftist's prism to see.

He cut military spending, that is what Dems do. That was the alleged post-Cold War "Peace Dividend". Two major problems with the assertion that he declared SS off-budget is that it happened in 1990, 2 years before he took office and Congress is the one with sole jurisdiction to make those decisions as part of the budget process. Anyone interested, there is a rather interesting history of the on/off budget shenanigans at: http://www.ssa.gov/history/BudgetTreatment.html

YOu will note that the surpluses did not occur until well after the Congress (which decides how much is spent and what the tax levels are) became controlled by the GOP. (Actually if you look at reality, there was little or no change year over year in the increase in spending. This suggests that forces outside the politicians were really at work. So the surpluses are really just the result of a economy that was breathtakingly overheated for awhile that money came in faster than the combined efforts of both parties could shovel it out the door).

Only if you are clueless about accounting and accounting practices
Per Attila Iskander:

Guilty as charged.
But I would assume that the same accounting practices were in use by both preceding and subsequent administrations.... so, in a relative sense, it would seem to hold up.
Also, he seems to have the guts to cut back on Medicare as part of the balancing process.
--
Pete Cresswell

Moral relativism shows its ugly head, once again.

He doesn't care about seniors. They didn't vote for him.
Per Kurt Ullman:

Maybe somebody can comment on: http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/budgetinfographic.pdf
Understood that deficits/surpluses are technically different from debt as a percent of GDP.
My reading is that when Clinton left office in 2001, the US Debt was 32% of GDP. In the ensuing years, it went up, not down. Way up after the financial crisis... but always up post-Clinton.
Also, as I read it, the next closest to that 32% after Clinton was the 26% after Carter.
I'm assuming that "cbo.gov" is the Congressional Budget Office.
Is there room for differences of fact here?
--
Pete Cresswell

If you're looking to cast blame, it's the fault of stupid idiots that cause the gas can accidents and idiot jurists that award them huge sums of cash.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/business/in-a-shuttered-gasoline-can-factory-the-two-sides-of-product-liability.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

se the gas can accidents and idiot jurists that award them huge sums of cas h.

I wonder when they'll sue the oil companies because petrol/gasoline is dangerous. Non flammable petrol should be provided.
It's all down to ambulance chasing lawyers. American serf have to pay their dues to them along with the banksters.
On Sat, 11 May 2013 11:36:27 -0700, harry wrote:

Check this out: http://www.martinandjones.com/injured-by-a-defective-gas-can
It's from a law firm.
"But what most people don't know is that these gas cans... transform into exploding bombs!"

I would have expected change after the last hurricanes. No ones talking.
Greg
I have three of these. They work great. Yes, they are expensive but still much cheaper than 6 months in a burn unit. YMMV.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Now THAT's a gas can!
nb
Per notbob:

+1.
But the attraction of steel cans went away for me one day when I found that a 2-gallon steel can had rusted trough and leaked it's entire contents on to the floor sometime during the winter.
Thankfully it was in a garden shed/paint locker instead of my garage or basement.
--
Pete Cresswell