The government ruined the gas can...

Page 3 of 7
On 5/17/13 7:37 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

That looked like a good conversion in the video.
The only problem is that Blitz is out of business, and I haven't seen anyone selling a gas can with that type of spout any longer.
So unless you can find a discontinued Blitz can with that spout assembly, the video is useless for currently-sold cans...
Unrelated: I have an old 2.5 gallon can with a rounded top, vent opening, and rubber hose pour spout. The gasket inside the spout has shrunk over the years, so the spout would leak when pouring.
I found an EZ-pour spout ($10 at Tractor Supply) to be a perfect replacement. If the kit designed for "gas" (black spout) isn't sold in your state, the kit for H20 works just as well.
On 05/10/13 03:14 pm, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It was a loong time ago, but I am sure I read that those bottles are likely to generate static electricity discharge when used with gasoline -- different kind of plastic from that used for gas cans.
Perce
I use some 5 gallon cans for gas. I tossed away the nozzels, and just use the lids, with gaskets. and a funnel
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

There's a YouTube video with a clever solution. I'll try to describe it with only words. You'll need: 1. A tire air intake valve stem (old or used is OK) 2. A 1/2" drill bit 3. A length of fairly strong wire, smaller than a coat-hanger, but not much. 4. Pliers
Steps: 1. Toward the opposite end from the gas tank spout, drill a 1/2" hole. 2. Remove the valve from the valve stem 3. Thread the wire from the spout thru the new hole 4. Thread the other end of the wire thru the valve stem, and then thru the newly-drilled hole 5. By tugging (hard) on the wire you should, eventually, manage to thread the valve stem through the 1/2" hole previously drilled. 6. Clip off the wire and remove it via the spout hole.
You can now use the valve-stem cap to open and close your new vent hole.

That just _has_ to be a joke. Small hole, screw, remove screw vented, replace screw = non-vented.
Jazuzz the things people dream up!!!
Harry K
On 5/11/2013 8:26 AM, HeyBub wrote:

First, before doing step 1, you might want to pray that the drill motor sparks don't ignite the fumes from the gas can.
Outdoors, windy day. The fumes won't reach the distance to the drill sparkler.
Watch for Youtubes "honey, hold my beer and watch" about exploding gas can drills. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 5/11/2013 8:26 AM, HeyBub wrote:

First, before doing step 1, you might want to pray that the drill motor sparks don't ignite the fumes from the gas can.

Or watch the Mythbusters attempts to even get a gas tank to "explode" - almost impossible to do. Vapors brning coming out of the can? Yes. Can's exloding? No.
I have been involved in two stupid episodes of such things.
!4YOA using a lantern to fill a gas can, vapors ignited and set my pants on fire. Can jusst sate ther and burned itself empty.
Using diesel to "encourage" a brush pile to burn. Big "whoosh" when I added some and a flickering flame from the spout of he can. Slapped my glove over the flame and discovered I had the gas can instead of the diesel can.
The problem with 'explodign cans" is that the internal "air" is too rich to ignite.
Harry K
Per HeyBub:

Personally, I think Rand Paul represents the lunatic fringe... but when I heard him going on about the toilet valves he gained a little credibility.
If somebody is getting their water from the Ogalalla (or however you spell it...) aquifer, that's one thing. Every drop that comes out of the spigot is *gone*.
But in our area, water comes from rivers. Big, dirty rivers. The more water I "waste" the more I dilute the sewage stream and the easier it is to process that stuff before it goes back into the same river. Wasted energy... maybe. Wasted water, no way.
--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

You can MAKE water by burning hydrogen.
Every other drop of water is USED water, meaning it has already passed thru something that made use of it for biological purposes.
Just think, every time you take a sip of designer water, you may be imbibing a molecule that once passed through the body of Julius Caesar.
On 5/11/2013 8:33 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Lot of us know about Avogadro's number.
I did speak to a Canadian official once at lunch that told me he would not to like to have a single atom of chlorine in his glass of water.
On Sat, 11 May 2013 13:47:14 -0400, Frank

Could you keep a straight face?
I hope you told him you were a mole, to the twenty third power?
Did you hand him the salt shaker, and encouraged him to use salt, instead of chlorine? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Could you keep a straight face?

Not quite but I did not say anything either. When I hear something so stupid, I don't try to teach them chemistry as obviously they have zero back ground knowledge. It was at a big table at a three day conference in Toronto on Canadian chemical regulations and the only day government officials came in for lunch with us.
All in all, at the time, a long time ago, I found Canadian regulations easier to work with than those in the US.

WATER SPOUT to fit the can if the cap and/or spout is bad. Problem solved.
--
Mr.E

ruined the gas can...:

How about cleaning out plastic 5-qt oil cans and storing gas in them? Use a funnel to fill.
CRNG wrote:

That's what I'm doing, no funnel though, just a steady hand.

I bought one 6 gallon water container last year to store kerosene. Sold where they sell other containers !!!
Greg
government ruined the gas can...:

Vote or write-in Libertarian and turn the tide. Vote Repub/Democ and get more of the same.
CRNG wrote:

Before you do, consider:
1. Both the Dems and GOP encourage the idea. It gets the lunatic fringe out of their respective parties so the normal politicians can get on with their work unimpeded.
2. The last 3rd party candidate that made a difference was Teddy Roosevelt running on the "Bull Moose" party in 1912, a century ago. The votes he got came almost entirely from the Republicans and their nominee, Robert Howard Taft, thereby guaranteeing the election of Woodrow Wilson. And we know how that turned out.
Want to change the government? Pick the major party that's CLOSEST to your inclinations and work from within.