The government ruined the gas can...

+1.

But the attraction of steel cans went away for me one day when I found that a 2-gallon steel can had rusted trough and leaked it's entire contents on to the floor sometime during the winter.

Thankfully it was in a garden shed/paint locker instead of my garage or basement.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per notbob:

A long time ago somebody wrote a science fiction short story about the time when self-replicating robots had taken over the world.

One of their prime directives was to keep humans safe.

The final result was that everybody was imprisoned in padded cells eating jello and writing with crayons.

Jingoistic as it sounds, I kind of liked Philip Mudd's statement last month: "America is not the land of the safe. America is the land of the free... and the home of the brave."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

se the gas can accidents and idiot jurists that award them huge sums of cas h.

I wonder when they'll sue the oil companies because petrol/gasoline is dangerous. Non flammable petrol should be provided.

It's all down to ambulance chasing lawyers. American serf have to pay their dues to them along with the banksters.

Reply to
harry

I'd say it's a lack of lifelong experience.

I remember when refrigerators lasted 30 yrs. I remember toilets that didn't spit doody water all over the seat/floor upon flushing. I remember when top loading washers got clothes clean and didn't retain

30% of the dirty wash water to sit and ferment in the machine between washes. I remember when Cuisinart food processors had a lifetime warranty on the motor. No more. Don't tell me about newer being better. It jes isn't so. Perhaps the return policies are better, and well they should be, cuz the products are now short term junk.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Could you keep a straight face?

Reply to
krw

Granted. OTOH, don't buy a plastic gas can to sit in yer Jeep's spare fuel carrier. UV light will rot that plasic jes as fast as rust rots steel.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Me either. I used to enjoy changing light bulbs much more frequently.

And I miss our 27" TV that projected 3' feet out from the wall, weighed

100lbs and consumed 200 watts. And those new flat panels that have 1080p resolution can't compare to that fuzzy old picture...
Reply to
George

Thinking the same thing.

Reply to
George

My late step-mother used one of those wringer washers clear up into the mid '70s. It was all motorized and she had a modern kitchen, but she'd do all the wash once per week and while the next load was agitatin', she was running the last load through those wringers. Sucker still worked when she died.

I also remember when car windshields would last 10-15 yrs before becoming so hopelessly pitted they needed replacing. Now, the soft glass lasts 2-4 yrs max.

nb

Reply to
notbob
[snip]

[snip]

I must have missed that one, but I did read one where the robots were programmed to make people happy. Even when that requires brain surgery.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I don't know how recent the things are about which the OP is complaining, but every one of the items in those categories is doing just fine here: HE laundry detergent that washes clothes fine, front-load washer that uses very little water and in which water does not collect and stink (and how would the clean rinse water stink?),

1.6gpf toilets flush just fine and save water, CFL and LED bulbs illuminate just fine and save electricity(although the latter are still rather expensive), lawn mower starts first or second pull every time (has an electric starter that also works fine, but I hardly ever bother), haven't noticed any paint discoloration (but everybody knows that some colors fade more than others), refrigerator still going strong after about 8 years.

And our gas cans without vent caps work just fine -- two 6-gal. ones, three 2-gal. ones.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

See. That's it exactly. I have a food processor that's going on 30 years. A fridge that's over 10. Two low flow toilets that work flawlessly. A Whirlpool Duet that functions better (more efficiently) than the old Whirlpool I donated to the buyers of my old house 10 years ago. Which probably still works fine.

A couple of thing I've bought that didn't perform up to expectations:

1) Sealy "Posture Perfect" bed. I bought it from the Room Store.

2) A Dell laptop "Inspiron" 15. Best Buy.

I don't think the names "Cuisinart" or "Kitchen Aid" mean what they used to mean.

On the other hand, most of the things I have purchased have functioned even better than I expected.

Maybe it's the "glass half-full" type of thing. :)

Reply to
gonjah

Ain't that the truth. I have a Panasonic flat screen I was actually hoping would go out because I wanted to get a new LCD/LED flat screen. We ended up putting it in the bedroom. It still works as good as when we bought it 10 years ago. Damn it!

Reply to
gonjah

Mork, calling Obama! Come in, Obama!

Nah-noo, Nah-noo.

In what parallel universe would that be?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hope you told him you were a mole, to the twenty third power?

Could you keep a straight face?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You are both right. Some stuff is better, others stuff has been cheapened to the point that it is crap.

Anything electronic is cheaper and better.

Hand tools of good quality are hard to find.

Refrigerators have more features, but they do not last as long.

Cars no longer need rings and bearings at 50,000 miles and grease and oil changes every 1500 miles. When is the last time you pulled the spark plugs to clean them?

The 1.6 gallon toilets function very well. Originally, you needed 3 or more flushes to clear the solids.

Most clothing is thinner, cheaper, and not as well made

Houses are often built with cheaper materials, but do have more features. More energy efficient too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I got lucky. A power surge took out the TV.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

1/4-20 bolt to plug the hole.

Not only that but his insurance company is going to cancel his policy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do the stabil thing in fall before putting the toys away for winter, run the engines for a while to get it into the carbs. Left over gas in the cans go into one of the cars.

John

Reply to
John

First, before doing step 1, you might want to pray that the drill motor sparks don't ignite the fumes from the gas can.

Reply to
diy savant