The government ruined the gas can...

I had a 1gal can that isn't too bad but I lost the plastic "hose" in the move last year. I just bought a replacement can from HD. It looks like I'll be spilling half the gas filling my weed whacker. There is no way to completely plug the thing, either. The "valve" is a butterfly in the neck that doesn't close completely and the end cover doesn't double as a tank seal. Like everything Congress does, it screwed this one up *badly*. Dumb, really dumb.
On Sat, 11 May 2013 14:01:04 -0400, krw wrote:

I've been reading up on this.
The CARB/EPA apparently worked in cahoots with the gas can manufacturer (Blitz USA, in Chapter 11 currently, who advertises they sell 75% of all the gas cans in the USA, says so on their web page).
Together, they "designed" the gasoline to stay *in* the can. They did a wonderful job meeting that requirement!
The problem is that they never looked at the second half of the requirements equation ... i.e., that the gas comes *out*.
EPA/CARB = 2 points Consumer = 0 points

Someone is missing the beauty of the master plan.
When coming out with a few model, ALWAYS make sure that it's less than optimal.
If you don't do that, you have NO replacement market.
Maybe Blitz shot too low on their first volley.
Sort of like MSFT with their new OS versions. Seems like they really messed up with W2K and XP. Really not enough warts there, but how people put up with the tinker toy interface is beyond me. But then they unleashed Vista and created a whole new replacement market for Win 7. Now we're in the ridiculous touch interface where it doesn't belong phase. Whatever they come out with as a fix MUST have some warts or they're living on OS's for new computers only revenue.
Personally, I've adapted to the new smaller cans. Had me confused for a while, but now I think I've got it. Fortunately I have an older larger can with a few more years on it.
--
Dan Espen

On Tue, 14 May 2013 14:39:31 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Well, it worked for seatbelts, didn't it?
In the beginning, they didn't retract, and had those clunky belt buckles, and didn't allow you to adjust position.
Then they got comfortable.
I don't remember (I was a kid) how long it took between clunky seatbelts and decent ones?
It might take *that* long for the gas can to become usable again.

Then they got shoulder harnesses. Then they got uncomfortable again.

Four-point harnesses are still illegal. Go figure.

Or not.

It appears that people are not using a combination of big and small tanks for the job Big (5 gal) for storage Med (2-3 gal) for emergency resupply of cars\ Filled at gas station Small (1 gal) for gas-oil premix. Filled at home with a funnel from the big ones. I also have a few metal premix bottles that I refill
Hardly have any spillage
On Fri, 10 May 2013 21:12:45 -0700, Harry K wrote:

I agree. I don't use the spout except as a "cap", so, I'm on a quest for a dozen caps to fit.
Ideas welcome ...

"new" and "old" caps do not interchange, thread size changed so that option is out.
Harry K
On Tue, 14 May 2013 10:56:15 -0700, Harry K wrote:

Shhhh. Here's my *secret* plan.
We know, from the Plastics Group of Willowbrook, Illinois, that *nobody* bought the spout molds from the now defunct Blitz USA of Miami Oklahoma; but, at the same time, we are aware that Hopkins Manufacturing Corp. of Emporia, Kansas paid $14.6 million for everything *but* the gas can molds.
That means, if we're lucky, that the Hopkins Manufacturing *water* jugs might use the *same cap* as the Blitz USA gasoline cans!
To find out if that's true, I ordered a set of water jug caps from Hopkins Manufacturing today. Cross your fingers and maybe they'll fit!

The water jugs seem pretty much the same material. I bought it at kmart, but a lot cheaper than gas or kero. I put kero in mine. I think it's blue. 6 gal.
Greg
On 5/10/2013 3:14 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Don't use the polyethylene milk bottles. The plastic falls apart after long exposure to light and even if it didn't it is too thin to be safe.
I regretted throwing away an empty deck stain can. I could have used it for the limited amount of two cycle gas I use.

Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled
I also bought a 12-pack of one shot premix oil I refill them from a gallon of premix oil Automatic measurement of oil
One fire department near me bought a couple 5 gal metal cans of "ethanol free" gasoline. For the small engines they use in the trade. I told them of the couple gas stations nearby that had ethanol free gas, but they didn't seem to be interested. I'm guessing the gas from the lawn mower shop in 5 gal tins was more pricey. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Keep your eyes peeled for the metal 1-2 quart premix bottles They are sturdy, close well and are easily refilled
I also bought a 12-pack of one shot premix oil I refill them from a gallon of premix oil Automatic measurement of oil
On Fri, 17 May 2013 09:57:33 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

The explanation is easy. OPM.
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you're right. This department also appears to suffer from two foot syndrome. Often seen in pleasure boat owners. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

The explanation is easy. OPM.
Per Attila Iskander:

This may be an indication that I have more money than common sense, but I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these: http://tinyurl.com/c4qffmy and two more if it works out.
--
Pete Cresswell

Looks to me from the Youtube vids that the new plastic jugs can easily be made to work well. This is a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI
But I've heard Blitz is gone, so don't know what's up with other jugs. Saw other Youtube vids and it don't doesn't look like rocket science to get a can working well. Just an added PITA. Steel NATO cans might be rusty inside and out, and there's no reason to think they won't leak when pouring. I've seen a lot of metal cans that leaked where the nozzle is connected to the can. Gasketing has to be right.
Per Vic Smith:

In fact, I went off of steel cans after one (that looked perfect on the outside) rusted through over the winter and vented it's contents to the floor of my shed/paint locker.
But from what I can read about the NATO cans - the real ones, at least - they are coated inside as well as outside.
I guess the critical call is whether they're coated on the inside with the same stuff as the original Jerry cans were.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 05/17/13 07:37 pm, Vic Smith wrote:

I have several of the Blitz ventless gas cans, and they work fine.
As for his mods,:
1. The cans are no longer childproof.
2. I cannot help wondering how well the rubber part of the tire valves he used will stand up to gasoline.
3. He complains about having to turn the can vertical to get the last drop of gas out, but ISTR that the th4e same was true for the old "Jerry cans."
BTW, I don't know whether the video a home garage or a commercial workshop, but I wonder what his insurance company thinks about the amount of gas he is storing there.
Perce
On Fri, 17 May 2013 20:50:13 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

No longer "old weak hand-proof" either. But that does look like an unnecessary mod.

Good point there. I have no idea. You can get this or equivalent, drill a hole, and use a gasoline-proof epoxy to cement it in. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/80217/10002/-1?parentProductIdt8910 Really though, if I wanted a vent I'd just drill a hole and put a screw in it.

Yep.

Survivalists seem to be "self-insured."