The government ruined the gas can...

Page 1 of 7
"Soap doesnt work. Toilets dont flush. Clothes washers dont clean. Light bulbs dont illuminate. Refrigerators break too soon. Paint discolors. Lawnmowers have to be hacked. Its all caused by idiotic government regulations that are wrecking our lives one consumer product at a time, all in ways we hardly notice...
"The whole trend began in (wait for it) California. Regulations began in 2000, with the idea of preventing spillage. The notion spread and was picked up by the EPA, which is always looking for new and innovative ways to spread as much human misery as possible."
And check the part about "exploding" gas cans!
<http://lfb.org/today/how-government-wrecked-the-gas-can/
On 5/10/2013 2:41 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I just had to buy one of these new POS cans for the lawn mower. The old one got the seal pinched and torn and leaked. I've never spilled more gas since these new cans were mandated. Hardware store owner was roundly cursing the EPA.
I noticed the bulging 5 gallon cans and now I never buy gas for them in the winter. That is when the proportion of butane in the gas is highest and winter gas in the summer has more pressure in the can than gas bought in the summer.
Per Frank:

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger.
Mine worked, barely, when new. After a few months, the mechanism started jamming and I was spilling at least 20 times more gas than I was before this mess was foisted on me.
Now I'm shopping for a workaround that works.
In the meanwhile, I've resorted to poly milk bottles with an aftermarket twist-to-close spigot that works pretty well.
If I could find 5-gallon containers that took that spigot, I'd be home free.
--
Pete Cresswell

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the problem, but it seems to me that a hole drilled into the plastic gas can near where the former vent was located and plugged with a 1/4 inch long #8 sheet metal screw would solve the problem.
[image:
http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Photos/ChainPhotos/ChainGuardScrew.jpg ]
I think the real problem is that the people on the EPA committees don't live in the real world. With gas costing over $5 per gallon, people make an effort NOT to spill it all over the ground even without the government's efforts to prevent that from happening. Not providing a vent on a gas can only serves to annoy people. The high price of gas serves to prevent spillage more than the lack of a vent on the gas can.
--
nestork

There was a vid on utube about drilling a hole where the old vent plug used to be and using a tire valve that has the plunger removed. You use the cap on the tire valve to seal off the gas and remove it when you want to vent the can to pour the gas out.
I have 3 old style plastic gas cans with out the vent. I can live with that. The problem for me is a new two gallon can I have for the 2 cycle stuff. That has some kind of nospill spout that I spill out about as much as I use. It may work beter if I had a big gas tank on the weedeater, but that small fil hole on the weedeater tank just does not mate with the gas can.
I think the ones comming up with the ideas do not have to deal with the problem. Just how many congressmen mow their yard ?
On 5/10/2013 4:51 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcnwdIYEfI

John

That is the one I am thinking of.
I also do as the vid does, number the gas cans as I have 3 of them. I like to keep one or two full cans for the generator. I usually empty 2 of the cans and refill two at one stop at the station. That keeps fresh gas druing the summer months. While probably not need , I make it a habit of putting the Sta-bil in the cans when I leave the house to refill them.
On 5/11/2013 11:11 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I do the stabil thing in fall before putting the toys away for winter, run the engines for a while to get it into the carbs. Left over gas in the cans go into one of the cars.
John
On 5/12/2013 8:18 AM, John wrote:

Five 5 gallon gas containers (yeah, the new style crap mandated by the Nanny State to insure that you will always spill some<g>). Each is "numbered" with a number of black nylon wire ties around the handle.
Dosage of Stabil or, more recently (upon recommendation of several small engine mechanics) Sea Foam (Wally World, auto parts stores, Farm & Fleet, etc) gas treatment before heading to the gas station to fill up. Rotate them throughout the year for lawn equipment, snow thrower, rototiller, etc.

I have one of the cans with the vent (it's about 24 years old), but the cap on the vent has split and I am unable to find a replacement for the cap. Anyone have a good idea for a substitute?
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
On 5/11/13 12:25 AM, Larry Weil wrote:

The first thing that comes to mind is a short piece of rubber hose that slides over the vent nipple and a small bolt to fit into the hose.
About that many years ago, I had a vent cap that split. I used a 1/4-20 bolt to plug the hole. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I have one of the cans with the vent (it's about 24 years old), but the cap on the vent has split and I am unable to find a replacement for the cap. Anyone have a good idea for a substitute?
--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
On Sat, 11 May 2013 06:45:14 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

And you are bragging about it? When your house is surrounded by a SWAT team and the Bomb Squad you won't be so smug. Not to mention the environmental hazard that will have your land condemned.
EVACUATE NOW ! ! !
Oh, bother. And I mentioned it on a public forum. I guess, if you don't hear from me for a couple days, you know I'm in custody. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: > About that many years ago, I had a vent cap that

And you are bragging about it? When your house is surrounded by a SWAT team and the Bomb Squad you won't be so smug. Not to mention the environmental hazard that will have your land condemned.
EVACUATE NOW ! ! !

Not only that but his insurance company is going to cancel his policy.
That would explain the crowd of insurance agents with cameras, yesterday. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote:

1/4-20 bolt to plug the hole.
Not only that but his insurance company is going to cancel his policy.
On Sat, 11 May 2013 01:25:08 -0400, Larry Weil wrote:

Steve W suggests this: http://ezpourspout.bluesarthouse.ws/wp/ez-pour-products/parts/
On Fri, 10 May 2013 16:51:02 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Interestingly, you can buy that vent (for water jugs only, wink wink) online, at the site that Steve W. recommended: http://ezpourspout.bluesarthouse.ws/wp/ez-pour-products/parts/
They even recommend a 1/2 inch blade-type (wood) drill bit over a spiral flute drill bit (they say the hole won't be round with a spiral bit).
Once you've added back the missing vent, then you can follow the YouTube video which shows how to modify the spout to allow the gas to flow again.

Does anyone sell replacement old style vent caps ?

MOst of the problem lies with the spouts. The first ones needed 3 hands to operate. I havn't tried one of the new ones yet. I have head of a brand "No Spill" that supposedly works reasonably well.
Harry K