The Electrician's Credo, part XXXIV

I swear, there must be a vow that all licensed electricians take before setting out to work on their own. I believe it could be summed up thus:
XXXIV. Thou shalt never affix identifying labels to any household breaker panels.
What is it with these guys? Yesterday I saw a new client, looked at their panel in the garage to try to figure out which one the back-porch light was on, and, sure 'nuf, not a SINGLE MARKING anywhere to disturb the pristine beauty of the blank box.
I guess it just isn't macho enough to actually let the poor bastard who owns the house know which breaker goes where.
(On the other hand, another client is the ultimate counter-example: both of their breaker boxes have envelopes taped to their doors, inside of which is a complete list of breakers and devices on each. But I suspect that's because one of their sons did a lot of remodeling work for their parents.)
conversation with the average voter.
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:30:26 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Pull the cover off the panel, All the wires are marked in Spanish.
Translate that into English and mark / label the panel. Job well done!

The NEC requires the panel to be labeled, but it's doubtful that any electrician is going to make up charts showing each light and outlet in a dwelling. Typically you'll get general labels like first floor lighting , bedroom outlets, etc.
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Similar here, when I replaced my panel I mapped every circuit and made a CAD print of the whole house with every fixture and receptacle marked with circuit number. When you do the work yourself, you can take the time to do every detail perfectly.

Agreed, and it certainly isn't rocket science to label a panel, but it can get costly if you want a licensed electrician to do what you did. Just last week a customer of mine had me map and label his service panels, which I did using a table in MS Word. I only charged for my time on the job ringing out the circuits and it cost over $400
RBM wrote:

Yep, details cost money and most homeowners don't want to pay for anything that isn't essential.

Very time consuming, but code requires markings. We have been doing a LOT of electrical in our shop over the past 6 months. We have about 15 panels to finish the markings. Some new work (easy) and some old work.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten"
David Nebenzahl wrote:

containing a complete listing, by subpanel and breaker showing each load and its location was attached to the side of the switchboard (600 amp SB type.) This has prove quite useful when making changes to balance the load on my generator and place power factor correction capacitors.
I'm quite happy with the installation my electrician did.
Boden
Boden wrote:

The difference there is it's commercial work. Commercial is where there can be more attention to detail since there is generally more budget to do things properly. Residential is where the budget doesn't want to even pay for the necessities, much less the extra details.
Pete C. wrote:

This isn't commercial work,it's residential...located in the basement of our home. Budget did matter. The job was competitively bid and I watched the cost like a hawk. I think I just had an electrician that cared about doing a good job.
Boden