The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

Really depends on what I needed them for. If I needed an engineer, no, if I needed an elementary school teacher or a personnel wallah . . .

And if you hold people responsible for the names their parents stuck them with you're an ass.

Reply to
J. Clarke

All colleges that recieve any government aid have to practice affirmative action, including Harvard and MIT.

Reply to
J. Clarke

By definition, a person with a degree in something other than Elementary Education is not competent to teach in a government school.

For fifty dollars they, as an adult, can change their name. That they don't is evidence sufficient that they like it just the way it is. Inasmuch as I'm the one doing the hiring, I don't want my business held up to contempt and ridicule, so, no I wouldn't even interview such a person.

Reply to
HeyBub

You're all of those simultaneously? Wow - talented!

Reply to
Delma T. Ivey

I remember a young Bohemian woman from the university area telling me she was having trouble finding a job, this was in the mid 1990's. I asked her if she thought her green hair may have something to do with it and she said she would wear a hat. I then inquired about her 47 ear rings and other piercings? Her response was "Oh, I'll take them out." I don't think she was covered in tattoos. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Steven Levitt ("Freakonomics") addresses the ultra-black names issue. The names aren't what destine them more often than not to a bad, unproductive life. Rather, the fact their mamas had bad, unproductive ghetto lives is why those people have those names in the first place. The name isn't destiny, but the socio-economic background typically is. Taysh'aun and Kyeishi'a typically are born to uneducated unemployed/unemployable teenage black girls, so they start out with the deck stacked against them.

Reply to
George Plimpton

You're darned right it is. It seldom demonstrates competency in any well defined activity that is useful to employers, but what it does demonstrate is:

  • ability to set long range goals at a young age and see them through to conclusion
  • time management
  • some exposure to critical thinking
  • ability to navigate bureaucracy

Little of that ability was actually acquired *at* univeristy; rather, the fact they attended university and completed it is the proof that they have - probably already had before they started - that ability.

I used to chuckle silently about friends and colleagues of mine who grumbled about how it was "unfair" that they couldn't get in as many doors as I did, or were denied promotion opportunities, because they didn't have "that piece of paper." They had no idea what that degree actually represents.

Reply to
George Plimpton

You should not even invite in for an interview anyone with a degree in anything that has "studies" in the name. It is the hallmark of intellectually worthless programs that have no academic rigor and are nothing but ideological propaganda. This is especially true if the word "interdisciplinary" is part of the program title or description.

Reply to
George Plimpton

Well, he graduated the same year as Bush Jr IIRC and he's been starving for most of the interim.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Does he smell real bad or something? He has a law degree from Yale and he's starving? Perhaps he has such high morals which keep him from the practice of law? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Over the weekend I bought something on line and selected Free Economy Shipping. The item has already arrived at the UPS depot from which our deliveries are always made, but this item will be delivered tomorrow by... Ta-da! The US Postal Service. So the Postal Service can deliver items more economically than UPS itself can, even when they have to be trucked from UPS over to the Post Office?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

He never learned to steal big ticket items, like the other lawyers?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, he in theory works as a lawyer. In practice he's been the junior assistant to the associate peon's aide's apprentice for decades.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Nahh, he just goes in to the office, does as little as possible, then goes home and does as little as possible.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Like I said, he steals small. Starting with his pay. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell