The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

Page 5 of 5
On 1/6/2012 1:32 PM, Mr. Grumpypants wrote:

That's not what it ever was. Affirmative action *always* meant preference for minorities - in other words, UNEQUAL opportunity.

I think the problem is that the above was just the beginning, not where we are today. In the beginning the goal was to eliminate discrimnation against minorities in employment. A goal which conservatives support. What it has turned into 45 years later, through more legislation and insane court decisions, is reverse discrimination.

Yes. since certain groups are granted preferences in employment,there is no longer any "equality" in the process.

"progressives" have skewed that to be "WITH regard",meaning certain minority groups get DO preference. Just look at government hiring. It's all part of their Newspeak.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 1/7/2012 11:55 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

The Postal Service is the best/worst example of Affirmative Action and Quota hiring as best illustrated by their poor performance and hemorrhaging of Red Ink. o_O
TDD
On 01/07/12 04:51 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Our USPS Regional Manager had a piece in the paper a few days ago saying that they know exactly how to make the USPS more efficient but Congress won't let them do it.
Perce

I wonder, was the piece of paper lost in the mail? ^_^
TDD
On 01/07/12 04:58 pm, I wrote:

Over the weekend I bought something on line and selected Free Economy Shipping. The item has already arrived at the UPS depot from which our deliveries are always made, but this item will be delivered tomorrow by... Ta-da! The US Postal Service. So the Postal Service can deliver items more economically than UPS itself can, even when they have to be trucked from UPS over to the Post Office?
Perce

FYI,FEDGOV gives hiring preference to veterans. that alone destroys your claim of "equality" in hiring.
that hiring preferences also extends to other groups. IF you open your eyes and look around.Go in any FEDGOV office.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 1/7/2012 1:00 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

I would sure hope veterans get preferential treatment.
People who have served our country deserve a break, don't you think?
Besides, with the exception of a disability or a candy ass, there is nothing stopping someone from serving.
On 1/7/2012 1:48 PM, Sgt. Hulka wrote:

I tried twice and was turned away for medical reasons. Perhaps I can join Obama's Brown Shirts when they get machine guns and nuclear weapons? ^_^
http://theobamafile.com/ObamasOrganization.htm
TDD
says...

All colleges that recieve any government aid have to practice affirmative action, including Harvard and MIT.

The college debt is also increasing like mad. There is a video about " the conspiracy" I don't think colleges are doing anything to reduce costs. They let the govt help build more buildings, and can't pay for upkeep.
Greg

You're darned right it is. It seldom demonstrates competency in any well defined activity that is useful to employers, but what it does demonstrate is:
* ability to set long range goals at a young age and see them through to conclusion * time management * some exposure to critical thinking * ability to navigate bureaucracy
Little of that ability was actually acquired *at* univeristy; rather, the fact they attended university and completed it is the proof that they have - probably already had before they started - that ability.
I used to chuckle silently about friends and colleagues of mine who grumbled about how it was "unfair" that they couldn't get in as many doors as I did, or were denied promotion opportunities, because they didn't have "that piece of paper." They had no idea what that degree actually represents.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't think the economy can be repaired. We need to replace it.

That's certainly Obummer's intention.

Bingo!