The economy -- are we replacing or repairing?

Page 2 of 5
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:27:52 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Both jobs show up as being "created"
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 16:09:35 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

...or "saved".
I don't know the answer to those. I've heard various radio hosts talking about the statistical lying that's being done to make the numbers artificially lower.
Are people who are no longer collecting unemployment benefits (because they have run out) still counted as unemployed? How would they be tracked?
How, if at all, are the underemployed tracked -- those working part time who would like to have full-time jobs?
Are people working two part-time jobs counted twice as "employed?"
Perce
On Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:27:52 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Yes. There are two "surveys", one of employers and one of households. They call people on the phone and ask "did you work last week". Did you want to?

They're "tracked" too. The government calls it the "U6" unemployment rate. The "normal" rate you hear quoted is the "U3". Wiki has a good article on these, and other, government numbers.

By the employer survey, quite likely.
Frank wrote:

The official "unemployment rate" is defined as those who are looking for work compared to the size of the labor force. This rate has been computed exactly the same way since 1940. Consider the basic definitions: 1. People with jobs are EMPLOYED 2. People who are jobless, looking for a job, and available for work are UNEMPLOYED 3. Everybody else doesn't count (not looking for a job, not available for work).
The "labor force" is defined as #1 plus #2 above.
Back when the definition was decided, the number of people in category #3 above was minuscule. Since then, category #3 has grown to be significant. It is so significant today, that it masks the unemployment rate. That is, when folks not looking for work are included as "unemployed", the unemployment rate skyrockets this past year from 11% to 19%.
I'm having a hard time remember, but a public official (Marion Barry, from Wash Dc?) said that the crime rate had dropped, if you disregard the murders.
I think it's manipulated numbers, when you don't count the people who want work, but have run out of benefits.
The official "unemployment rate" is defined as those who are looking for work compared to the size of the labor force. This rate has been computed exactly the same way since 1940. Consider the basic definitions: 1. People with jobs are EMPLOYED 2. People who are jobless, looking for a job, and available for work are UNEMPLOYED 3. Everybody else doesn't count (not looking for a job, not available for work).
The "labor force" is defined as #1 plus #2 above.
Back when the definition was decided, the number of people in category #3 above was minuscule. Since then, category #3 has grown to be significant. It is so significant today, that it masks the unemployment rate. That is, when folks not looking for work are included as "unemployed", the unemployment rate skyrockets this past year from 11% to 19%.
On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 08:29:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Those people are counted, as long as they're actively *looking* for work. If they've given up (haven't applied for a job in 30 days), they're not counted.
<...>

I see too many people struggling.
Greg
On 1/5/2012 9:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The contents of pawn shops are another good economic indicator. ^_^
TDD

YET, college enrollment sets new records every year. WTF????
Don't know how the stats are compiled tho -- if they include ivy, public/private, on-line, and these dinky for-profit ripoffs that proliferate/advertise all over.
If the stats are "legit", I find this surprising. They say unemployed people "go back to school", but I wonder if that's really true or part of the current stats. visavis "retraining". I'd like the stats on high-schoolers going to legit 4 year schools, and sep stats for junior colleges. And trade schools.
Personally, I think 4 year colleges are highly over-rated, except as the "entre" they provide for having that piece of paper -- whose value varies tremendously with the school, ivy obviously being the better entre.
But still, something of a benchmark, for, well, something.....
--
EA

> TDD
Existential Angst wrote:

google student loan, you can borrow your way through higher education and then borrow more for graduate degrees. But it's expected to be paid back..... with interest.
On Jan 5, 4:15pm, "Mr. Austerity" <"PrintMo.Money "> wrote:

new jobs pay far less........
source evening news
bob haller wrote:

It's a real trap for to many, http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/525/index.html
Austerity" says...

It's a "given" that one goes to college unless one is mentally deficient. Which means that a college degree these days has about the same value that a high school diploma did in the '30s.
The mistake that most students, myself included, make in going to college is to think that the piece of paper and the "knowledge" are what are important. While they are to some extent the really important thing you can get is connections. School I attended had a world class racing driver and a Saudi prince and the hottest pick in the NBA draft enrolled at the time. Think I made it a point to befriend any of them, no, I was hanging out with the nerds in the physics department.
My advice to high school graduates--get reasonable grades but don't make grades a priority to the point that you neglect your social life--join a frat or sorority, get involved in some activities, meet people and make connections.
Existential Angst wrote:

Well, some dinky for-profit (i.e., not a government school) don't reall advertise. I'm thinking of Harvard, William & Mary, etc.

The University of Houston ranks number two in the state in the number of warm bodies enrolled. It ranks about ninth in the number of classroom hours of instruction inasmuch as over half its student body attends class at night.

Would you "entre" someone who has a degree in Black or Women's Studies, History of Pellopenesia, Non-Traditional Religions, Gay Literature Studies, Elementary Education, and similar? I wouldn't even hire someone whose name was Chlamydia.

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Really depends on what I needed them for. If I needed an engineer, no, if I needed an elementary school teacher or a personnel wallah . . .
And if you hold people responsible for the names their parents stuck them with you're an ass.
J. Clarke wrote:

By definition, a person with a degree in something other than Elementary Education is not competent to teach in a government school.

For fifty dollars they, as an adult, can change their name. That they don't is evidence sufficient that they like it just the way it is. Inasmuch as I'm the one doing the hiring, I don't want my business held up to contempt and ridicule, so, no I wouldn't even interview such a person.
On 1/9/2012 1:55 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I remember a young Bohemian woman from the university area telling me she was having trouble finding a job, this was in the mid 1990's. I asked her if she thought her green hair may have something to do with it and she said she would wear a hat. I then inquired about her 47 ear rings and other piercings? Her response was "Oh, I'll take them out." I don't think she was covered in tattoos. ^_^
TDD
On 1/9/2012 6:27 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Steven Levitt ("Freakonomics") addresses the ultra-black names issue. The names aren't what destine them more often than not to a bad, unproductive life. Rather, the fact their mamas had bad, unproductive ghetto lives is why those people have those names in the first place. The name isn't destiny, but the socio-economic background typically is. Taysh'aun and Kyeishi'a typically are born to uneducated unemployed/unemployable teenage black girls, so they start out with the deck stacked against them.