the dim light of a CF starting up.

Has anyone ever confused the dim light of a Compact Fluorescent bulb starting up with smoke?
I just went down into the basement to turn off the AC fan, and when I got to the turn half way down the stairs, I thought I saw smoke. The dryer had been on, but it had stopped. I couldn't smell anything, and as time went on, 10 or 15 seconds, I either couldn't see the smoke or it wasn't there.
I think maybe it's just that the cf's got brighter. Possible?
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 02:08:30 -0400, mm wrote:

Yep. I once turned on a Sylvania/Osram cf and flames shot out the side of it. Never used another.

So that would be a combination of warming up AND fire. Very interesting!