The crazy things you see a Home Depot

Page 2 of 3

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:10:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Even selective ring could be done over two wires. The ring generator frequency determined which bell rang.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/The-crazy-things-you-see-a-Home-Depot-461710-.htm DA wrote:
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The guy was offering you a vastly superior product for something like $0.15/FT extra and you felt so angry you had to leave the store and go some place else? This must have been one of those Mondays...
Anyways, if you were adding an extension for a new employee, you could have used that one CAT5 to provide the person with 100Base-T Ethernet in addition to the phone, just split the pairs yet only pull one cable. Also, not knowing your environment it's hard to tell but the fact that the conductors are twisted (tightly, as opposed to loose twist in the cable you bought) could save you some EMI-noise aggravation.
But it all pales in comparison to a feeling you'll have one day when the boss wants to install a new IP PBX instead of the old one now that Nortel is out of business and he wants new bells and whistles. Had you spent $0.15/FT more that day, you'd have one less location to worry about ...
In any case, this may not be a good example of a Home Depot horror story anyways because there actually are digital PBXes out there that do use two pairs for extension cables (and some that use four) so the guy was just not familiar with the particular one you had - happens all the time even if he was still active in the field.
I think we ought to give HD employees some credit for trying to help.
Cheers! ------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Sometime you are better off not giving advice if you don't know the details of the situation.
My favorite HD story happened when I had retired from my real job and was filling my time as a peddler at the local RadioSchlock. A women came in and wanted to get a line cord with a plug at each end. I tried to explain that it was dangerous and most likely illegal. And yes, we did not have such a thing. She said the guy at HD had assured her that we had those items in stock.
He didn't try to dissuade her. At least he didn't sell her the parts and explained how easy it was to make your own assembly.
Charlie
NIGHT

Give them credit ?? Surely you jest...LOL..What I find the most amusing is those that slam HD even go there...You HD haters know that doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a sign oif insanity , don't you...LOL ?? Don't like them then don't go there..Nobody is forcing you to...Shop where you want and let others shop where they want..No need to belittle some poor smuck making 10 bucks an hour probably working 2 jobs to get by or do you perfer him and his family be on welfare ???..Or are the horror stories even real ??? I think that this topic is brought up every few weeks for those with BBDS (Big Box Derangement Syndrome) can have a therapy session...LOL...Oh well , continue on..Don't let me interupt your therapy session....LOL...
On 8/26/2010 10:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You could use CAT3 2 pair. Even though the Nortel will work with a single pair. It's advisable to use twisted pair because the Nortel phone will get noisy if you don't use twisted pair. I've never seen any single twisted pair phone wire except for the very old cloth insulated stuff. I know this because I've installed and programed a lot of Nortel systems. Nortel has merged with Avaya and a lot of Nortel stuff will no longer be manufactured. What kind of wire did you wind up using?
TDD
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:55:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Doorbell wire is usually twisted? And you use twisted pair to keep the proper impedance along the cable which prevents crosstalk. The same reason Cat5e is able to do gigabit though you'd really want cat6.

re: "Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse"
The best I can do at this point is 2 out of 3.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:11:35 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

So you've already lived fast and died young? Good to know they have broadband in Heaven.....or did you go somewhere else ?
On 8/26/2010 4:05 PM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

hugh's net works anywhere. (so they say)
--
Steve Barker
On 8/26/2010 3:03 PM, Meat Plow wrote:

The last Cat5 I certified yesterday tested better than Cat6 and the speed tested better than 1 GbE in speed. It's all in how careful you are when you install it.
TDD
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:49:42 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Well that's cool. I supposed you used one of those time domain things to test.
On 8/27/2010 7:21 AM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Nope, well sort of, it's a Byte Brothers Real World Certifier. We got it for less than $400.00 from one of our suppliers. It works very well and I can Email or print the results for whomever we do the work for.
http://www.bytebrothers.com/bb_tester/Real%20World%20Certifier.htm
TDD
On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:46:06 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

That's a good price but I wonder how it stands up to a Fluke TDR (time domain reflectometer). I've used one to verify and troubleshoot CAT5.
Also wonder if your Byte Bros uses TDR technology too?
On 8/27/2010 9:02 AM, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Yes, it has a TDR built in. It actually gives me the length of each pair then averages it so I can report how much wire I install. It uses a serial interface to connect to a PC and the output is an Excel spread sheet which I convert to a PDF to Email. It has the best toner I've ever used because it puts the tone on all the pairs at the same time. As for TDR's, I've repaired several old analog Tektronix 1503 units with the cute little chart recorder installed.
http://www.valuetronics.com/Used_Tektronix_1503.aspx
TDD
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 14:55:27 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I ended up using the same (Belden , I believe) unsheilded twisted pair cable the rest of the premises was wired with. I think it was 8442.? Black and red, single unsheilded twisted pair in grey PVC jacket. Similar to fire alarm cable but in grey jacket instead of red. Something like 6 cents a foot.
On 8/26/2010 4:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That works OK, it may confuse the next telecom tech who shows up but who cares, it works. 8-)
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I sympathize, but it's not just Home Depot.
I tried to buy perfume for a Christmas present. "May I help you," inquired the matron at the perfume counter of an upscale store.
"Yes, I want that bottle of perfume - 'Woman' by Jovan"
"No," she said. "You want the one next to it, 'Man' "
"Uh, no, I want 'Woman' "
"Really, sir, 'Man' is the one for you" she insisted.
"You're beginning to sound like my ex-wife. I know what I want"
"Sir," she explained, but her patience was clearly being exhausted. "They work completely different. You're a male and 'Man' is the fragrance for you."
I fixed her with a steely stare. "If you must know, I'm having a sex change operation right after the first of the year and I'm trying to stock up on all the gear. Gimmie 'Woman'!"
I distinctly hear the word "Eek" as she hurriedly shuffled away to get a supervisor.
On 8/26/2010 5:42 PM, HeyBub wrote:

I see you enjoy my favorite sport, "brain fondling".
TDD
Now, that is either clueless or insensetive. Like she thinks no one buys stuff as presents. I also rather don't much like clerks who tell me what I need.
I had a similar experience attempting to buy a shock absorber for my vehicle at Sears. The clerk insisted to know what kind of vehicle, and refused to sell me the one I wanted. Actually, I have bought nearly nothing at Shears after that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
HeyBub wrote:

Amusing, but I suspect you are pulling our leg. The default assumption almost all clerks would have is that a male coming to the counter alone, is buying a gift for a female, especially near Xmas or Valentines day. There are Very Few males that buy high-end stinkum for themselves- almost all male-oriented fragrances (other than the kiddy crap in spray cans, which is really more like deodorant) are purchased by females trying to 'improve' the guy they are stuck with.
--
aem sends...