The crazy things you see a Home Depot

Page 1 of 3

I was in the electrical dept the other day having some wire cut. A lady pushing a cart comes along to ask the guy, who from all indications didn't know much, which wire is the right one to use to hook up her new stove. In the cart are Romex and armored cable, both 14 gauge. She was most concerned about getting the right kind to use in crawl space. She asked him if the armored was intended for use outdoors, which he avoided. It was also clear that she had spoken to him earlier before picking out her wire. After watching this for a couple mins, I did my best to get the lady pointed in the right direction, which was to tell her she most likely needs a 40 or 50 amp circuit, heavier wire capable of that kind of load and to go back to the appliance dept to find out what the stove installation manual called for and to seek an electrician.
I find it curious how someone with no technical knowledge can go from buying a stove to picking out 50ft of wire to hook it up.
Hooking up a stove with 14 gage wire? Hope she connects it to a 15 amp breaker.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nobody specified what kind of stove.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

Trader4 told her she would need the heavier circuit and cord, so he must have known it was an electric stove.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

I trust Trader4 to KNOW what kind of stove it was.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, it was an electric stove. Thanks for the confidence Bill :)
On Aug 26, 10:24am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What sort of fittings to you use on 14AWG to connect it to a gas line? ;-)

Sharkbites
On 8/26/2010 1:46 PM, keith wrote:

it's very similar to the connector you use to hook twisted pair to fiber.
--
Steve Barker

the clock, the electronic ignition, and possibly the rotisserie, as well as the oven light and stovetop lights (if so equipped)
Twist 'em together, and then electrical tape.
Clare is humorless, today?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:46:07 -0700, keith wrote:
[snip]

A spark plug?
--
"SENILE.COM found. Out Of Memory."

Somebody's got to keep the fire department busy or they'll get bored.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:36:20 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net

What is even scarier is that she probably had more electrical knowledge than the store clerk in the electrical department.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:02:35 -0500, AZ Nomad

I went to buy some single pair 22 ga cable to hook up a phone extension on the old Nortel digital PBX at the office - 27 phones already connected and working using that wire, just needed to add #28 and the "expert" who had apparently worked for the phone company as well as holding an electrician's licence, told me I needed cat5, or at minimum cat3 cable - 4 twisted pair. I told him he was wrong - all of the exixting phones were connected with single pair and had been working for years. He argued with me so I went elsewhere to buy my wire.

Insane. We're dealing with 19th century technology. used to be 4 wires, now only two are needed. Anything from 0000 to 30 guage wire will work; pick wire that can survive the environment and you're done.
I wouldn't trust such a monkey to sell flashlight batteries at radio shack.
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:42:08 -0500, AZ Nomad wrote:

PBX technology was 19th century?
On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:42:08 -0500, AZ Nomad

Phones have never needed more than a single pair unless you had selective ringing on a party line. Then it was 3 wire. Four wire cable came with the Princess phone to serve the light.

I used to install a lot of 25 and 50 pair telephones. 1A2 systems are tough and you could hit someone over the head with one of those monster phones and knock em out.
TDD