The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Page 10 of 16
On 8/27/2015 12:48 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Exactly. Yet they all (esp Trump, Perot types) beat their chests AS IF they are really going to "get 'er done". And, folks *buy* this BS.
*I* stand as much a chance of getting it done as *they* do! And, I've got far less "Washington insider" (even those who claim NOT to be "insiders" have already been tainted by serving elsewhere *or* paying the way of those who did!). Yet, I'm not foolish (nor arrogant!) enough to make the claim (or innuendo) that I could get any of these things "done".

Exactly. She found something that got an emotional response from the voters. Rode that into office. Then, realized that The Reality was a lot harder to deal with than the Campaign Rhetoric. "But, I was elected so I'll server my term..." (boo hoo)

People think *their* official is doing a good job. It's the other 532 bozos on the bus that they blame for all the problems! Yet, few folks can even *point* to anything that their officials have "done". Or, even tell you how many votes they *missed*!

You need a broad brush that regularly sweeps things out. *Risk* losing some of the good with ALL of the bad!

Yet we hear the likes of McCain claiming "nothing is too good for our vets". But, besides the rhetoric, what's being *done*? Gee, a guy with his stature and he can't promote change??? What's he wasting his time working on? More "party planks"??

I've not voted *for* anyone since I reached majority. Instead, I vote *against* people. Unfortunately, I can only vote against "all but one". Hence the idea of "None of the above" being used as "NONE of these people can be allowed to hold this office" instead of "I don't like any of them".
On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 13:19:24 -0700, Don Y

So when you hold your nose will you be voting for Hillary or Jeb?
On 8/27/2015 7:16 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

How I cast my vote wouldn't be any of your business! That's why it's called a SECRET BALLOT. Frankly, spouting off your bias suggests an uncertainty on your part -- as if you need to get others to share your belief lest it be *wrong*!

than

far

an

voters

It doesn't seem to be hurting him in the polls. It may come into play if he gets nominated as either a Republican or Independent. As far as the conservatives go, Trump has less baggage than Jeb, who's got his brother's war, his Hispanic wife, his Common Core work and his "act of love" immigration comments.
I suspect that because he doesn't really need the money that donors will be falling all over to give it to him.

They have probably been found already and paid off after signing non-disclosure agreements. Trump has the same wind at his back that Obama had: He's cast as a Washington outsider and lots of people want to break the revolving door of career politicians.
The fact that saying all the things that were thought to be career ending turned out to boost him to the top of the polls says he's turning the long-held rules on their head. And that's exactly what people *thought* they were getting from Obama. "Hope and change."
--
Bobby G.

Per Robert Green:

And, IRRC, self-admitted status as a drug dealer in his youth.
--
Pete Cresswell

brother's

Some people think Jeb was instrumental in getting his brother elected in 2000 and not in a positive way. I think people will be more critical of Bush than of Trump because of the family name. Not fair but it happens on both sides of the aisle.
One thing's sadly for sure - this will be the most entertaining primary race we've had in a long time - and maybe ever. Where are the conspiracy theorists who believe that Trump has a secret agreement with Hillary for him to run as a 3rd party candidate and spoil the election?
--
Bobby G.

On 8/26/2015 9:09 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Wasn't his brother an admitted alcoholic? Didn't stop him from serving as a *fine* commander-in-chief! But, I'm sure glad that, as president, he never had to make the Newqueuelur decision!

Didn't you know? Trump is Bill & Hilary's illegitimate love child from the days when Bill wasn't inhaling!! (the hair is a dead giveaway!)
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 12:29:18 PM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

If Trump has such an agreement, it's a waste. Hillary isn't going to be the candidate. She's going down in flames and it just keeps getting worse. Even Obama is openly dissing her now.

<stuff snipped>

race

him

worse.

Yeah, this from the man who assured us that Obama was going to be a one-term president. The sad facts are that if he could run again he'd probably win a third term.
Forgive me if I give your predictions about Hillary the same big yawn I gave your predictions about Obama. The way the Republican race is going, the Democratics could nominate and elect a ham sandwich. <hyperbole alert>
To be convinced Hillary will be knocked out of the race over an email server (or double yawn - Benghazi) is to fall into the same trap that Mitt Romney did. Look where his belief in his own faulty polling led him.
The Republicans have failed to put anybody out there that stands out enough to win - unless it's Trump and if he doesn't get the Republican nod, he's made it clear he'll go independent and sink anyone the Republicans choose instead by splitting the Republican vote.
Even worse for the Republicans is that once again the candidates for the nomination will begin tearing into each other and that will only help Hillary. Yet there's not enough party discipline left to stop the backstabbing that's sure to come as the race heats up.
As I have said before, I didn't leave the Republican Party - they left me. When they decided that unlike Congresses before them that they would not compromise or "horse trade" to get bills passed I realized that sanity had passed from the party. As you pointed out, laws get passed because of the give and take that no longer exists. And while I am sure you'd like to blame that all on Obama, remember - it's Congress that's got only a 13% approval rate while Obama runs much, much higher. Most people know where the problem lies.
That's why I could easily bring myself to vote for Trump. Out of almost all the candidates, he's the true outsider - the one Obama pretended to be - and he might be capable of really shaking things up.
--
Bobby G.

Per Robert Green:

Now that you have said such a thing, I have to take it seriously....
But do you think he could function in a political environment where he cannot rule by edict: "Do this or you're fired!"...
I imagined the same problem for Perot.
--
Pete Cresswell

What evidence do you have that he runs his companies by "Do this or you're fired? Perhaps you confuse a TV show with real life?
On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 06:13:47 -0400, "Robert Green"

What laws do you think the republicans failed to compromise on and that you wished they had so they would have passed? What great programs are we doing without now because of that?
Per Robert Green:

A Trump/Palin ticket for 2016: a wet dream for every standup comic in the country.... maybe the world.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

almost as funny as the Palin/Nugent bumper stickers floating around prior to 2012.
Per Scott Lurndal:

Have been watching HBO's "Show Me a Hero", which reminded me what "The Voting Public" is like (having blissfully forgotten 20 years after serving 7 years as treasurer of a 1,200 member civic association).
Now I just Googled "palin nugent 2012 bumper sticker" and clicked on "Images"...... Now things look *much* worse than I recall...... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

Maybe you don't understand how bankruptcy works. When a company goes bankrupt it means they don't have the money to pay their bills.
On 8/25/2015 10:13 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

That does not mean no one gets paid anything. Various chapters outline the situation. In some cases, creditors will get a portion of what is owed over a time period to be determined.
In other cases they get 100% Companies have gone bankrupt when faced with high future liabilities, such as when asbestos lawsuits started.

Yes, and the JUDGE decides who gets the money, not TRUMP. Yet some people are bashing Trump because he didn't go around the bankruptcy court and make payments to people. If he did so he probably would have been sued by someone he DIDN'T go around back and pay.
On 8/25/2015 12:34 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

There was a caller on Rush Limbaugh, yesterday (Aug 25, 2015) who said he did some work for D. Trump. $85,000 worth of work, actualy. He wrote toask to get paid (can't remember the cicumstances) and two days later had a fedex envelope from D. Trump with the check for the full 85K, singened by D. Trump himself. So, this one anecdotal evidence is that D. Trump did pay the bill, in this one case, if the caller is for real.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I can't speak for Trumps jobs but for the contractors I've know about, many of them go to great pains to avoid paying their bills till the last possible minute. It's entirely possible trump's company was PART of a consortium on some project that was delaying payments. The longer you delay paying the longer you earn interest/or the shorter time you have to borrow on the construction loan. To think Trump can know which bills are paid and which aren't for the thousands and thousands of contractors and subcontractors on all his projects is to imagine he is a superman. People love to hate rich famous people and with Trump's ego he's a big target. I don't think Trump has any interest in screwing people out of money they are due and it's good to hear this story. There's a lot of "personal" in the contracting business, everyone knows everyone, a true deadbeat will probably not be around for long.