The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Page 16 of 16
On 8/17/2015 3:23 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I dislike shopping generally, and look at almost all of it as a mission. Get it, get what I want and get out. I have better things to do. Of course, I dislike watching television as well, unless it's football <g>
On 8/17/2015 12:54 AM, Muggles wrote:

The problem arises when people from the second category think they are in the first.
Per Muggles:

Understood that there may be people out there carrying on cell phone conversations who I do not notice, but I still have to wonder why is it so often obvious that somebody is talking on a phone even before one overtakes them and confirms it?
- Varying speed for no apparent reason
- Cruising the left lane below lane speed
- Wandering back-and-forth across lines....
Seems like a virtual definition of "Distracted" and all seem to me tb highly correlated with talking on a phone - and I see it on a daily basis... My guesstimate is 3-5 times on an 80-mile round trip. Yesterday it was 4.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 13:59:25 +0000 (UTC), ceg

I have been posting (not here but in other newsgroups) that same question for several years and no one can answer it but they ALWAYS attack me for asking it. What you have stated is the $64K question ... if cell phone use is as bad as driving drunk, etc, etc, and if cell phone use has gone from essentially zero percent of drivers in 1985 to at least 50% of drivers in 2015, WHERE ARE ALL THE ACCIDENTS????
The closest thing to an answer I get is "well, if people didn't have cell phones the rate of accidents would have dropped much more then it has. But that's not realistic. There are simply too many people using cell phones to think that if it was the problem the alarmist portray it would not have caused a spike in accident statistics that was noticeable.
Also, I strongly question most of the studies that purport to show how cell phones "distract' people. They usually put a person in a simulator, tell them they MUST talk on a cell phone, and then when THEY know it's the most inopportune time for a 'surprise' they flash a cow on the road ahead and the simulating driver hits it. They ignore that in the REAL world, most drivers are not simply stuck on their cell phone completely ignoring everything around them as if in a trance waiting for a guy in the back seat to hit the button for EMERGENCY at the worst possible moment.
They also have no good idea whether cell phone use has simply replaced prior distractions. It may well be that the person on the cell phone who IS distracted is the same person who 15 years ago would have been fiddling with their CDs and CD player trying to select a new CD to play, or would have been fiddling with the radio looking for a better music station, etc and would have been equally distracted and would have been equally adding to the accident statistics.
On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 06:10:23 +0000 (UTC), ceg wrote:

Probably 'cause cars are safer, people don't drive drunk as much, etc.
If you identify accidents caused soly by cellphone use, I'm sure the statistics would show none before cell phones were invented.
--
http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm