The cellphone paradox - where are all the accidents?

Page 14 of 16
On 8/19/2015 12:14 PM, Don Y wrote:

hmmm That's a good idea, too. There are lots of materials I could use like that.

ssssshhhhh Now everyone will want a third eye!
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 10:31 AM, Muggles wrote:

Yes. And, if tightly wrapped, noone would suspect that they were really two "backless" baskets tied together.

(sigh) Too late. I got the last one they had in stock. They may be able to back-order some, though...
On 8/19/2015 1:07 PM, Don Y wrote:

yeah ... great idea. Now, I just have to get the hardware and put it together, then I can look around for something like that.

I could use a third eye, too. Bummer.
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 11:09 AM, Muggles wrote:

And, of course, the *time*!

Well, it looked like they had a whole carton of *noses* -- and a couple of UNMATCHED ears!
Time to move the cheesecake into the freezer.
On 8/19/2015 1:22 PM, Don Y wrote:

You mustn't let anyone move your cheese when you're not around, so it's wise to do it before they do it.
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 11:26 AM, Muggles wrote:

SWMBO has an annual bloodtest coming next week -- so she's on her "best behavior". In fact, quite annoyed with my choice of "timing" for these (I have one more to bake tonight) -- as if intentionally chosen to coincide with her exam! :>
On 8/19/2015 1:29 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'm guessing a BS test? Those test for the last 3 months, I think, so what she eats today would only affect her recent bs reading. (I'm type 2 - diet controlled).
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 11:31 AM, Muggles wrote:

"BS"?
Afaict, it's just annual checkup. CBC, lipids, etc.
I learned many years ago NOT to schedule *my* physical around the holidays; with all the baking I do, even just the *taste testing* drives all my tests crazy! All that sugar and butter in such a short period of time (esp when it isn't normally in my diet)
Silly to alarm the doctor for a "transient" anomaly. Then, have him wondering where the "problem" went -- when he ops to retest a month later!
On 8/19/2015 1:36 PM, Don Y wrote:

Blood sugar.

I think they do the BS and CBC/lipds at the same time, at least they do when I go in for that checkup.

So, do you make fudge? My mom used to make it a lot, then suddenly her recipe wouldn't set up solid, so we'd get a spoonful of fudge when that would happen. mmmmmmmmm! Us kids loved it that way, but she quit making it after a few tries didn't turn out.
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 11:39 AM, Muggles wrote:

Ah.

Dunno. I think she is most concerned with the lipds. Esp if you're eating a block of (essentially) solid fat! :-/

No. I'm not big on sweets. I primarily bake -- cookies, coffee/cheese cakes, pizzelles, breads, etc. From time to time, I will make almonds coated with dark chocolate and rolled in cacao powder (SWMBO is a chocaholic) but my source of "quality" almonds has gone out of business.
Aside from "chocolate" (as in bar chocolate), I don't think I know many people who eat "candy". I guess as you get older, your tastes tend towards other ways of "acquiring sugar". I can't recall the last time I saw someone eat a "candy bar"...
On 8/19/2015 1:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

Occasionally, if I'm out running errands and have a low (bs low) I'll grab a candy bar that has a mix of nuts, salt, sugar, and fat in it. It'll level off the bs low and keep me going until I can eat something more substantial. There's been times when the bs low was to the point I couldn't communicate. Once I was at a Walmart check out and thought I had enough time to pay for my stuff and go get something to eat, but it didn't turn out that way. I looked at the cashier and couldn't really respond verbally except to say "food". She knew someone with a similar problem and asked if I was diabetic and all I could do is nod, so she ran and got me some candy bar with nuts in it, opened it up for me, and help me take the first couple of bites. About 10 mins. later I was back to normal, could talk fine, and thanked her for helping me.
I tend to make note of where the candy bars are in all the stores I go to, but that's usually the only time I'd even eat a candy bar.
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 12:04 PM, Muggles wrote:

Yes, I've complained to my MD that, from time to time, I will get "the shakes" and crave sugar (i.e., walk into a restaurant and eat a packet of sugar). He explains this as low blood sugar -- brought on by my "forgetting" to eat (for a day or two -- did I mention I'm not keen on eating?? :> )
His solution: remember to eat a couple of times a day! :>

On 8/19/2015 2:52 PM, Don Y wrote:

Gotta put some fuel in the tank!
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 1:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

Yes. MD just shakes his head wondering how *anyone* can FORGET to eat! :<
"Priororities"
On 8/19/2015 3:56 PM, Don Y wrote:

funny cuz I've been known to forget to eat when I'm working and then wonder why I'm feeling "bad" and my stomach is growling.
--
Maggie

On 8/19/2015 1:59 PM, Muggles wrote:

I just forget ("it's not important").
Wife used to grill me every day when I got home from work: "Did you eat today?"
Then, when she suspected I was just answering "yes" to avoid the confrontation, she'd start asking for details: "Ok, *what*?"
As eating wasn't a priority, I would really have to struggle to remember if & what I ate: "I had pizza!" "No, you had that *yesterday*..."
<frown>
On 8/19/2015 8:56 PM, Don Y wrote:

She's a good wife!
--
Maggie

On 08/17/2015 02:21 PM, Don Y wrote:

Nobody can multitask, it's just sequential flipping back and forth. Women may just need to do more flipping than guys do.

When I needed shoes for my daughter's wedding I ended up trying up everything that might vaguely go with my dress in the quest for something that didn't hurt. I took the winners off as soon as I could sit down at the reception. Some men's tennies are OK, but they suck for formal wear.

Our only REAL hardware store closed several months ago. One of the things of which I'm most proud is that Mrs. Berg offered me a job there 45 years ago when I was buying a lot of weird stuff to build a tape recorder. Couldn't take it, but it made me really feel good. Still does.

Damn Harbor Freight stopped giving them out even if you didn't buy anything. Those are nifty little flashlights.

Yard sales. People buy way too many clothes, so I might as well buy used t-shirts for a quarter and levi's for $2. This means that *I* buy way too many clothes.

T-shirt, shorts/pants. I'm good.

--
Cheers,
Bev
On 8/17/2015 8:01 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

In software engineering, multitasking is a commonly used mechanism for making more robust, reliable, maintainable, etc. programs. Do a bunch of little things AS IF that was *all* you had to do.
But, there is an implicit overhead in doing so -- because a computer can really only *do* one thing at a time. So, you have to "switch" between these different tasks. That means remembering EVERYTHING about what you *were* doing on the first task while you *recall* everything that you had previously *done* on the second task. The time/effort that it takes to do this is "overhead" (waste).
The same things apply to human brains. It takes effort to remember where you are in a given task in enough ACCURATE detail that you will be able to later return to that point -- while simultaneously recalling the details of the *other* task that you are now going to resume. All that effort "switching" is "waste".
And, opportunity to screw up!

I wasn't specifically commenting on shoes -- though understand your reference in light of the point at which I injected my comments.
Rather, women (sorry to generalize) tend to be content to look at lots of *anything* and then leave with *nothing*. AND, not be distressed over this fact! If I've made a trip out to buy/acquire something, I am upset if I don't come home *with* it! "Wasted trip".
Furthermore, men will tend to keep that on their ToDo list as an unfinished task. Women seem not to mind (arbitraily?) deciding that they don't *need* it, afterall! ("I'll make do with what I have...")
[If the man could have rationalized a way of "making do", he would have done so to get out of that *task*!]
[Of course, I am painting with a broad brush...]

I haven't been in a "real" hardware store since I left New England.

It was silly of them to offer them as free WITHOUT purchase. OTOH, much of their stuff is of dubious quality. I was looking to buy a drywall lift and looked at their offering: would I want to be standing under a sheet of drywall supported by *this*??
<frown>

The idea of "previously worn" clothing gives me the heebie-jeebies. Kind of like a *used* toothbrush... who cares how many times it's been WASHED!!! <frown>

Jeans (several identical pair) and black or white T-shirt (see post elsewhere re: how I invariably choose the wrong color to wear).
If it's a special occasion (party, funeral, etc.) I drag out black dress slacks and a black shirt (the "Johnny Cash" look).
Once in a blue moon I'll get "to the nines" in a three-piece suit. Usually, my friends find that disturbing...
On 8/17/2015 10:01 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

This is certainly what the science seems to indicate.