The British sure do talk funnily (gobsmacked barmy)

"Alan Hinkes, the only Briton to have climbed all 14 mountains higher than 26,246ft (8,000m) and who reached the top of K2 a few weeks before Alison's death, said: 'I was gobsmacked when I heard. You can never say something's impossible in mountaineering - good luck to him. But this is barmy."

Reply to
Solon Levin

I usually check

every morning. It's primarily a techie site but I sometimes have to click on the headlines to figure out what the hell they're talking about. Combine techspeak with Brit and you really have something.

Reply to
rbowman

Per Solon Levin:

"The USA and Britain: two great countries separated by a common language."

My personal favorite BritSpeak phrase is "Barking Mad".

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I am NOT fond of "spot on"...which some American's have adopted! *L* Have you notice when we catch on to a pronunciation, that the Brit's will change it back to the way we used to say it? ex. kilometer!

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

Apparently, just as in dumbstuck, gob is mouth and smacked is hit. It means you can't talk because it hit your mouth.

Barmy is from the crazy froth of beer fermentation, so it means crazy.

Reply to
Solon Levin

"I said yes of course, I'm through and the silly girl disconnected me!"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon