The Amazing MultiMaster! As seen on TV! Anyone have any experience w/one?

Out of sheer boredom the other night, I found myself actually watching one of those informercials on late-night TV. But this one actually seemed to be for a product worth having.
It was for the Fein MultiMaster, a vibrating cutting tool that seemed to be suitable for just about any cutting, grinding, sanding, abrading or other similar job. They showed it stripping thinset off tiles, carpet off flooring, cutting door trim right up to the wall without disturbing it and other amazing stuff.
(Website: https://www.4multimaster.com/vcc/feinpowertools/multimaster/190821 )
So I was wondering if anyone actually has used this tool. The annoying thing was that they never gave the price of the tool on the show; the web site shows it to be about $400, which is pretty steep. But if it does all the stuff they showed it doing, it might could be worth it.
I have bought a couple other things I've seen advertised by Billy Mays-like barkers at county fairs and such, and they've all performed as advertised.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Looks good, Fein have always been a good product in my mind (As a tool service repairman).
Cheers ...... Rheilly P
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I've had one for about 10 years. It's a fabulous tool, particularly in tight spaces. Better prices can be found if you shop around. Coastal Tool in Connecticut is one pace.
Boden

It's a fabulous tool,.........yup
particularly in tight spaces......yup
Better prices can be found if you shop around..........yup
Coastal Tool is a great place to buy accessories & blades.......the 10pk (though spendy) of the wood/metal cutting blade is a great values since you can go though those blades pretty quickly. Three packs at the local tool supply are nearly $80.
Keeping a soaking wet rag handy to cool the blade frequently, allowing the blade to overheat / burn will drastically reduce its life.
The wood / metal blades are great for wood or drywall but plaster or stucco will destroy them in short order
The blades with the grit bonded to the rim are great for plunge cutting into real plaster. I use them to cut holes in plaster walls for electrical receptacle boxes. It is possible to cut holes "net" such that boxes fit perfectly & switch plates cover them easily.
I'm lucky that my neighbor has one......I just have to buy blades.
cheers Bob
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 19:57:45 -0700, David Nebenzahl

As others have said: it works as advertised and Fein makes very high quality stuff. Biggest gripe most users have with it is that the blades and accessories are pretty pricey. I will add that you generally have to cut fairly slowly or the blades overheat.
If you like to have the best and can swing the cost, then you won't go wrong with the Fein. But be aware that this product space is starting to attract competition. For example, Dremel has introduced a version they call Multi-Max at about 1/3 the price. Of course the blades, etc. are not compatible with the Fein. I haven't see the Dremel tool, but while I doubt it is the equal of the Fein, it may be appropriate for the occasional user.
There is another version available that actually pre-dated the Fein, but the brand name escapes me. Perhaps someone else can help. I wouldn't be surprised to see other vendors introducing their own versions to take advantage of the heavy promotion Fein is doing in this product space.
HTH,
Paul F.
Paul Franklin wrote:

The Dremel Multi-max retails for $99 (Amazon's retail is $170!) and some say it's blades are interchngeable with the Fein. The Bosch PS50 is also new on the scene (Fein's patent expired - that's why there are two new competitors). The Dremel is wired; the Bosch is battery-operated (about 8 minutes endurance).
A six-minute video reviewing the Dremel and Bosch http://www.coptool.com/blog/2008/10/video_dremel_multimax_bosch_ps.html
Dremel: http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-1558-dremel-multi-max-tool-kit-6300-01.aspx
Bosch http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-1556-bosch-12v-max-multi-x-cutting-tool-ps50-2a.aspx
Absolutely fantastic tool. Limited uses, though, this will not replace a circular saw/router/etc. It is a specialty tool that excels at what it does. Be very aware of the cost of replacement blades, some are upwards of $100 each.
The saw should be available at any good lumber yard or tool store. Some of the cost is the blades, make sure you are comparing the same outfit with the same number of blades. Mine is the old style with the hex wrench for tightening blades, the newer model has a "quick change" system that is reported to be better.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

I'm curious how well the new Dremel Multi-Max compares to this. It's WAY cheaper and Dremels had a good rep for reliability as well. At $99 for an entire kit, that's much more within my price range. Especially since I'd probably use a tool like this no more than once a month for the occasional "around the house" handyman type stuff.
And, the replacement blades run less than $10 each.
The Dremel version just came out in Oct.

In additional to the Dremel corded version and the Bosch cordless version, there is another one from Rockwell called SoniCrafter (spelling?). I saw it in a Sears/Craftsman ad. It is a corded version, and can be fit with a dust collection hose.
Aside the cordless model from Bosch, there is a corded version also from Bosch. It has built-in dust collection function. That would have been my first choice (because I have many other Bosch tools and can share the same dust collection facility). Unfortunately, it is only available in Europe. I am still waiting and hoping that they will bring it to US market. If not, I will have to go for the one from Rockwell; hopefully their dust collection function is as good as the one in Bosch's.
I have a 6" Bosch Random Orbital Sander. When I connect it to a shop vac using Bosch dust collection adapter and hose, I can hardly see dusts floating in air when I operate the sander. That's why I have a lot of confidence with Bosch dust collection function in their tools. But if they don't sell their corded version of MultiMaster clone in US, I will have no choice but to try my luck in other manufacturer's offers. Bosch, are you listening?
Jay Chan