Thanks to the US Navy from Canada

Page 1 of 3
I'm sure I speak for all the Canadians in here, including Home Guy, when I give a great big Thank You to the US Navy for towing HMCS Protecteur into Pearl Harbour.
HMCS (Her Majesty's Canadian Ship) Protecteur is a supply ship that had a fire in it's engine room last night. The entire crew was up all night fighting the blaze but managed to get it put out by morning. However, the end result was that by morning, the ship was floating powerless in the Pacific Ocean about 180 miles north of Pearl Harbour.
The US Navy is sending it's ship USS Chosen to tow our crippled vessel into Pearl Harbour for repairs to it's engines. Canada will undoubtedly be paying the US Navy for the repair work needed to the Protecteur, and the crew of the Protecteur will be flown back to Canada while the repairs are done.
Obviously, the Canadian Navy will do an investigation to find out how that fire started. Fires on ships have always been the most dire of emergencies because you can't retreat from the fire. You either put it out, or you jump in the water and hope to Gawd that someone finds you before the sharks do.
--
nestork

On 3/1/2014 6:55 PM, nestork wrote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hmcs-protecteur-stranded-in-mid-pacific-after-fire-1.2555354
By golly, that made the news. I hope no one was injured.
I hope the US craft was able to validate your auto club membership before the tow?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/1/14 6:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We in the U.S. probably owe the Canadians. They, the Aussies, and Kiwis are probably the most loyal allies. Then there are those other loyal fellas on the east side of the big pond that almost speak American.
On 3/1/2014 8:13 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

At least the Canadians don't send us millions of diseased people who want taxpayer money.
Of course, that's mostly account of our US gov, who practices trap and release, and who dispenses taxpayer money to illegals. What you fund, increases. Stop funding, and it fades away.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 03/02/2014 07:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
Rebel:
Did you use an oil based or water based stain on the wood?
How long after staining did you apply the polyurethane?
To your knowledge, was the polyurethane ever "dry to the touch" after it was applied.
If you used oil based stain and oil based poly, you at least have the comfort of knowing that once the mineral spirits finish evaporating, it'll be good. Oil based products cure by reacting with the oxygen in the air. Cold temperatures slow that process, but don't interfere with the mechanism by which that curing happens. So, you can paint a fence in the middle of a Manitoba blizzard with oil based paint (or oil based polyurethane). The fence will be tacky all winter, but when the warm weather comes in spring, it'll dry normally just as though you you'd painted it in mid-summer.
--
nestork

nestork wrote:

-------- In 1991, Protecteur was part of the Canadian contingent sent to the Persian Gulf as part of Operation Desert Shield and later Operation Friction (the Canadian name for its operations during the Gulf War). The ship, part of a three-vessel force, the other two being the Iroquois-class destroyers Athabaskan and Terra Nova, saw extensive service in the Central Gulf. The ship was honoured with the Gulf and Kuwait Medal for her service in the war.
In 1992, the Protecteur was sent to help after Hurricane Andrew in Florida, with tasks including repairing schools, community centres, and hospitals in the region. A small pool was built on the helipad of the Protecteur providing some relief to hurricane ravaged Floridians.
On 19 September 2011, Protecteur departed from CFB Esquimalt for a two month deployment off southern California as part of the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group. Protecteur joined the destroyer Algonquin and the frigate Ottawa in Fleet Week activities in San Diego, California, between 26 and 30 September 2011. ---------

I'd say that the Protecteur has done a yeoman's service for the US navy and has served the US well as a tool for it's twisted foreign policy over the years.
It was the least the US could do to come to the ship's aid and tow it back to Pearl Harbor.
It is probably all for naught, as the ship was scheduled to be decommissioned in 2017. It is highly likely that if the ship's boiler or propulsion system was damaged, it might not be repairable anywhere - let alone in Pearl Harbor - which would in effect strand it in Hawaii and make it a hot potato. Based on what little we know right now, I'd say there's easily a 50/50 chance that the ship is now destined to become an artificial reef near Hawaii.
On 3/1/2014 5:55 PM, nestork wrote:

My Canadian cousins are wonderful people and Americans will always come to their aid when called. We share a continent and a lot of common heritage. We are family, even if the Canucks talk funny. ^_^
TDD
The Full-Quoting Daring Doorknob wrote:

Just like the Russians are coming to Ukraine's aid - eh?

Exactly the same reason that Putin is giving.
With friends like US, Canada doesn't need enemies. All the trade bullshit you people pull in spite of having treaties and agreements in place. We bent over backwards on 9/11 when hundreds if not thousands of americans had to land in Canada from overseas flights, we took you into our homes where-ever you landed, and still we're treated like North Koreans at the US/Canada border.
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:18:55 AM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

The Ukranian national govt didn't ask the Russians to come help. They specifically are telling them to get the hell out. See the difference, idiot?

The US hasn't sent troops into Canada with the Canadian govt telling them to stay out. Idiot

Liar. You wouldn't even know what goes on at the border. You hate the US, so why would you ever go anywhere near the border? Hell, last week you didn't even know that US Customs is part of Homeland Security.
The full-quoting door knob trader4 @ optonline.net wrote:

==============Russian Foreign Ministry cites threats, call for help from Aksenov
Meanwhile, Russia's Foreign Ministry justified incursions by saying that Sergei Aksenov, the newly installed Crimean prime minister, asked for the Kremlin’s help in bringing public order to the region.
Moreover, Aksenov issued a statement calling on Crimean voters to vote in a March 30 referendum to decide among three choices: "to retain its current status as an autonomous republic within Ukraine, to become an independent state, or to become part of Russia." Aksenov moved up the referendum date from the previously scheduled May 25 date.
Aksenov also claimed March 1 to have command of all military forces, police and other security services in the region. He declared that the armed forces, the police, the national security service and border guards will answer only to his orders. He says that any commanders who don't agree should leave their posts.
Aksenov, the head of the main pro-Russia party in the region, was appointed by the Crimean parliament on Feb. 27 as tensions soared over Crimea's resistance to the new authorities in Kyiv who replaced ousted President Viktor Yanukovych and his former top officials. Aksenov replaced Yanukovych's appointee, Anatoly Mogilev, the former interior minister.
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/tensions-rise-in-armed-standoff-in-crimea-between-ukrainian-and-russian-backed-forces-337942.html ============= Sergei Aksenov is the prime minister of the Crimea - the area of Ukraine that Russian soldiers are now present in.
Something else you are apparently ignorant of is that Russia has military and naval installations on Ukrainian soil - something that makes their "interest" in the area somewhat compelling.
There is no doubt that the US would reinforce and distribute troops in any similar border area of Canada that was undergoing civil or political breakdown, especially if the US military had assets in the area.

It happened in 1812 - 1814. It could happen again if a power vacuum and resulting loss of civil control or confusion happened in any area of Canada close to the US border.

I've crossed the US/Canada border hundreds if not thousands of times over the past 30-odd years. The average Canadian is FAR MORE knowledgable about what happens at that border than the average american. Any Canadian you talk to will tell you that US customs and Immigration agents are pricks to Canadians who enter the US for shopping, vacations, etc, in spite of the fact that your economy (especially that of northern border cities) desperately needs the commerce that comes from cross-border Canadian shoppers.

Again, like a typical american - you confuse criticism with hatred.
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:35:04 AM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

That isn't the national govt of Ukraine calling for Russia to intervene. It's a commie puppet who just managed to get himself installed as prime minister of Crimea. But Crimea is still part of the Ukraine and subject to it's constitution, national govt, and armed forces. This is like saying if Rob Ford invited the Russians into Toronto, that makes it OK. Or a better example, if the chief executive of Hong Kong, invited the USA to invade Hong Kong. How do you think that would go over with China and international law?

Which clearly he has no authority to do. Why is it that you always side with the most repressive, commie regimes? You think Putin is a swell guy with good intentions? Just look at what he's supporting in Syria. You have 150,000 dead, the military dropping barrel bombs indiscriminantly on civilians, Assad using nerve gas, and Putin is supplying arms and backing him up while the world condemns it.

Nothing has threatened those military installations in any way. Ukrainian forces haven't done a thing. I suppose the USA should just invade Cuba because Gitmo is there. Of course if that happened, why it would be a whole different story, because you're a commie pinko bed wetter that hates the USA.

BS. Not unless the legitimate Canadian govt couldn't control it and asked for help. This is like the US invading Toronto because Rob Ford smoked some crack and asked for it.

I'm sure you're lying again. With your blind hatred of all things USA, why would you come here? Go visit Putin and kiss his ass. Try saying some things about him that you've said about Bush, the USA etc and see what happens to you.

No I don't. You're a total hateful loon and everyone here knows it.
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:56:44 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:
Oh and there's this HomeLess Guy:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-crisis-harper-recalls-ambassador-tells -putin-to-withdraw-1.2556228
"Ukraine crisis: Harper recalls ambassador, tells Putin to withdraw"
and this:
"8 European countries condemn Russian threats Publication time: 3 September 2013, 22:47
The foreign ministers of 8 Nordic and Baltic states on Tuesday censured the Russian pressure upon Ukraine and Moldova, which are urged to give up thei r Association and Free Trade Agreements with the European Union (EU), repor ts Delfi.
"Any economic threat or political pressure directed against Eastern partner s because of their European aspirations and engagement with the EU is unacc eptable. The countries have the right to choose themselves what is best for their future," reads a communiqué signed by the eight countries."
and this:
"France, Britain and Germany issued calls for de-escalation in Crimea hours after U.S. President Barack Obama warned that military intervention in the region would be deeply destabilising and "carry costs".
"France is extremely concerned by the reports from Crimea, which describe s ignificant troop movements," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement."
So, if this is a US thing and Russia is right and justified in what Putin is doing, why is it that Canada, Britain, France, Germany and 8 other European countries are all agreeing with the US position, that the Russian invasion is illegal and unwarranted?
trader4 @ optonline.net" wrote:

Because the west can do nothing but posture.
Anyone who thinks that Russia would do nothing and lose political control or affiliation with Ukraine (especially the Crimea - with Sevastopol) is crazy.
By all accounts, most of the population of that region feel more like ethnic Russians anyways, so for them it's a matter of fighting the western half of Ukraine as they try to tear them *away* from Russia.
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

What they can or cannot do has nothing to do with the fact that all these countries agree that what Russia is doing violates international law and is an invasion of the Ukraine. A rape is still a rape, whether anyone does anything about it or not. And we have a dozen countries, not just the USA, condemning what Putin has done. Including *your* country, Canada, so why aren't you out there demonstrating and bitching about that, instead of what the USA is doing? On the other side, we have Putin, his Crimean puppet and you.....

WTF should Putin and Russia have political control of the Crimea? Should the US have political control of Toronto?

Which would you rather be affiliated with? Western Europe, ie Germany, France, UK, Italy, Switzerland with a tradition of freedom for individuals, open, fair elections, freedom of the press, or Russia and Putin?
But you do have a point, if those in the eastern Ukraine are dumb enough to subjugate themselves to Russia, run by the former KGB and they want to do so in a fair and internationally supervised election, then that's their choice. Maybe they've forgotten the long lines for food, the KGB, the gulags, the 20 million dead under Stalin. Putin wants to put all that back into place. Now ask yourself, is giving the people in the Crimea that choice in a fair referendum supported by Russia invading the place? Idiot.

Hi, Can't you see Israelis do whatever they want to? She is an exception, right? U.S. on their back.

On Sunday, March 2, 2014 9:56:18 PM UTC-5, Tony Hwang wrote:

No, I don't see Israel doing whatever they want to. I see them doing what they have to do in order to defend themselves, using force as a last resort when attacked, which they have every right to do. I also see that whenever Israel makes a unilateral move which could help lead toward piece, eg withdrawing from Gaza, it's met by even more hostility from the Palestinians. In the case of Gaza, the Palestinians promptly elected the Hamas terrorists as their govt and used Gaza to launch rockets into Israel.

They were put there by Stalin. Many Ukrainians/Tatars were deported at the same time.
Oh and there's this HomeLess Guy:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ukraine-crisis-harper-recalls-ambassador-tells-putin-to-withdraw-1.2556228
"Ukraine crisis: Harper recalls ambassador, tells Putin to withdraw"
and this:
"8 European countries condemn Russian threats Publication time: 3 September 2013, 22:47
The foreign ministers of 8 Nordic and Baltic states on Tuesday censured the Russian pressure upon Ukraine and Moldova, which are urged to give up their Association and Free Trade Agreements with the European Union (EU), reports Delfi.
"Any economic threat or political pressure directed against Eastern partners because of their European aspirations and engagement with the EU is unacceptable. The countries have the right to choose themselves what is best for their future," reads a communiqu signed by the eight countries."
and this:
"France, Britain and Germany issued calls for de-escalation in Crimea hours after U.S. President Barack Obama warned that military intervention in the region would be deeply destabilising and "carry costs".
"France is extremely concerned by the reports from Crimea, which describe significant troop movements," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said in a statement."
So, if this is a US thing and Russia is right and justified in what Putin is doing, why is it that Canada, Britain, France, Germany and 8 other European countries are all agreeing with the US position, that the Russian invasion is illegal and unwarranted?
The position is that the excuse offered by Russia is the "protection" of Russian descended people in Crimea. However, there are Russian descended people in many other ex-soviet republics too. What happens there? Where will it end?
On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:01:48 -0000, "harryagain"

    Money. They gain financially.     Screw the Ukrainians, put a dictator in and end all this fuss about democracy. Ukraine's main income is the electricity it transports from Russia to the EU, oil too. Those enterprises will be "privatized". Which means poverty to the Ukraine.     Egypt and Iraq are doing nicely. They have curfews, and no more civil rights. But are very profitable.     That's nice.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012