Thank You, Lowe's

Page 1 of 4
Had a little shopping venture to get supplies for a couple of projects. Nuts, bolts, plywood, paint remover. Check out, paint remover on bottom of cart, small stuff in cart, plywood on top. Load up the car, get home, don't have paint remover.....$30 gone? Call Lowe's, talk to Chris in customer service. Chris went out to the parking lot, retrieved my paint remover and kept it until I could claim it. There was plenty of help on hand to help shoppers, too. Now, if only I could find a couple of spring-clamps like they used to use on old, wood-frame storm windows and screens.............
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:54:48 +0000, Norminn wrote:

I really prefer Lowes to HD. People are more helpful and available. Plus my neighbor works there and always finds things that have been returned unwrapped and sold at bottom dollar :) Oh and since I am currently disabled, those little electric shopping buggies are much faster at Lowes :)

Me too, but they suck at checkout, at least at our local Lowes.
EVERYTIME I go there, and I mean EVERYTIME, they only have 1 checkout lane open and the customer service desk/checkout. No matter how busy they are, or how empty the place is. And there can be 25 people in line and THEY STILL WON'T OPEN ANY OTHER FRIGGIN' REGISTERS !
That is why I stopped going there, unless I know the place is going to be empty.
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:18:58 -0400, "Postal68"

The fourth floor of E. J. Korvettes was like that too. A few years later the chain closed, but I don't know if that was related.

That would be the fault of a poor store manager, not Lowe's as a whole. Ours is the opposite. Glad to hear that someone is making good use of the electric carts - they look like they would be great.

Except that someone from corporate** should visit the store periodcially and make sure things are running well, especially something as obvious as a long check out line.
**Not necessarily *from* corporate. My ex-girlfriend is a mystery shopper. She doesn't leave Baltimore but works/worked for lots of companies. She checks out the store and sends a report back to the main office. It's usually a specfic set of questions*** written up the the main office of the particular compnay. She's notice that a substantial percentage of the companies she checks out go out of business within 6 months. Hirilng her is their last ditch effort to fix things. They should probably hire her earlier. Starbucks does. But the fees they pay her have gone down, and she doesn't do it much anymore.
***They often ask questions I think are not of much value. details on request.

That must mean you have a good manager, but coroporate is supposed to look out for bad managers.

Postal68 wrote:

They solved that problem at the newest store here in town. They now have self checkout like the grocery stores.
Now I can find, load and pay for my stuff with no need to find an employee. :)
Colbyt
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:26:12 -0400, "Colbyt"

For some reason I'm not attracted too, or use these checkouts. I have once or twice. They still have one employee to monitor the six or so checkouts.

Just the other day I noticed HD has automated the BBQ LP tank replacement method. Step up, slide the debit card, etc. and the cage door for your new tank will pop open. Remove it and place the old one in and close the door. Not sure yet, if you have to go back to the ATM/Debit for a receipt.

Oren

I love work. I could watch it all day.

I hate them things and refuse to use them. Seems I always have a problem with an item that won't scan or it won't take my money. I tried and failed three times and never went back to them. Besides, they don't give me a discount for doing someone else's work.

Our local Home Depot has them and around a year back when the last time I ever darkened their doors, I tried to check out through one with a shovel. I scanned the shovel and it gave the price and then said to put the shovel in a bag and scan the next item. I leaned the shovel up against the machine and tried to scan the next item but it wouldn't scan and said Put The Last Item In The Bag Before Continuing! I figured one of the geniuses at Microsoft must have programmed this thing. The HD "Associate" (political correct word for employee) couldn't get the stupid thing past the Shovel in the Bag hangup before continuing either.
For all I know, that thing is still sitting there waiting for someone to get that shovel in a bag before it will ever continue.
Makes you wonder just how bright the makers & programmers of this type of trash really are. Our latest and brightest college engineers. I guess they didn't cover in their programming classes that you can't fit a shovel in a 1ft x 1.5ft plastic bag and since they have no common sense, then all hope is lost.
Regards,

From the sounds of it you don't understand how they work. Scan item, put item in bag or on bag area so that it can check what you scanned with what you put down. It doesn't care if its in a bag or not, it just has to sit or lean on top of the scale those bags sit on. It has to weigh the item otherwise people could shoplift all day at those self-check stands.

is like a produce scale. A sandbag of the right weight would work, like Indiana Jones used. Maybe they should attach a sandbag avatar to all the big items, to use at the checkout? The droid scale at a place like that needs a HOOK to hang big things on.
I agree with the others- screw self serve. I'll wait an extra couple of minutes to deal with a human. (and I do computers for a living, so technopobe I'm not.)
aem sends...
Lowe's has been blowin' HD away for me lately (service and pricewise). I was looking for a self retracting extension cord reel to hang on the ceiling of my garage, and Lowe's even beat Harbor Freight (19.99-on sale- for a 30 ft. with 3 outlets!)..
Even the cage type workshop light that I purchased to go with it is of better gauge and quality than anything I've found anywhere.
The only thing I've been looking for lately that seems pricey (at lowes) is a dimmer switch for a 3 way light. It has those new rocker switches and 19 dollars seems like a bit much ... HD is aways away so I have't had time to check it yet..anyone notice how much those switches are there?
Charles Pisano wrote:

a Preval paint spray gun. Don't have them, don't know what I'm talking about but really interested. Told the clerk to check them out at H.D. So, we went on over 4 blocks to H.D., I went looking for my spray gun and hubby went looking for the clerk. Hubby found clerk, didn't know where the spray guns were so I found them - on a bottom shelf behind the sales desk (spray guns, not hubby and sales clerk) and showed the clerk where they had been. I took them all and got the heck out :o)

Umm, I've gone thru checkout with big items, just lay them next to the bag, I can't remember any problems.
I've used self checkout at HD and StopNShop in all cases they have a person right there to assist with problems. It doesn't really work well without someone there.
Our Lowe's self serve checkout machines have a button on screen that says "Skip Bagging" which one uses for large items. So there is no problem, like the one described. Hard to believe that ours is the only big box store with that feature.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Dan Espen" < snipped-for-privacy@MORE.mk.SPAMtelcordia.com> wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 20:23:11 -0700, "Eigenvector"

The word has nothing to do with political correctness, as the phrase is used by either side. It has to do with maximizing profits, by trying to make the employees fell important.
You didn't use the word negatively afaict, but there are those who do, and I just want to remind people of the first application of the phrase in the US, and that was to say that it was no longer acceptable for people to use the terms niggers, kikes, and spics, or to portray oneself as one who hates those people for the groups they belong to. The phrase has been applied to a lot of other groups in the years following, but it still seems to me that those people who deride political correctness allign themselves with and probably are the ones who would be still be talking about niggers, kikes, and spics if they could get away with it, and might well be lynching the first group when the spirit moved them.

Oh, bullshit, get over yourself. Calling a clerk an "associate" is just a useless word. There is nothing wrong with having a job as a retail clerk in a department store, matter of fact, they were usually good people that helped the customer and made you welcome in the store.
What happened to being deaf? Now deaf people are "hearing impaired" and while it may be more politically correct, they don't hear any better. No shame in being crippled either.
Where I work I'm considered an employee, not a "human resource" and I like that.
Honesty requires the use of proper descriptive words, not hiding behind some weasel words that make incompetent people feel god about themselves.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/