Thank you, amateur gutter hanger, wherever you are

Spent some time cleaning out my raingutters today. I have to shout out a very special "thank you" to the halfwit who installed them before I bought the house. For sloping them incorrectly so they hold water. For using spikes and ferrules. For mounting them way below the drip edge. For creating downspout holes by perforating with a 1/4" drill until it could be punched out with a hammer, leaving a scad of sharp little metal hooks sticking into the hole. For attaching the spout adapters using gobs of caulk and too-long screws.
The only thing I don't hate about it is that it isn't rusting. Yet.
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
snipped-for-privacy@asgard.slcc.edu wrote:

So that was you up on my roof today, while I was out running errands? I wondered who moved my ladder. You described my place to a T.
-- aem sends...

Do you live so far from civilization that you were unable to do better research and find someone better? Or what?

What part of "installed before I bought the house" did you find confusing?

Or what. You have SERIOUS reading comprehension problems. He wrote, "before I bought the house". You even quoted it in your reply. The OP had NOTHING to do with the installation of the gutters.

Yeah, I missed that. So shoot me.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In your case, Joe, probably not a good invitation to make to this group.
-- aem sends...

Heh. :)

BANG! Sorry, couldn't resist. It was a blank, anyway.
Joe

Then why's there a hole in JoeSpareBedroom's head?
The Ranger

What is the best type of hanger to use?

On Mon, 11 May 2009 20:53:49 -0400, in alt.home.repair, "David B."
When I did it for a living (so many years ago) we used hidden hangers, little bracket jobbies that go inside the gutter, hook under the front lip and over the back edge, then screwed into the fascia board. Very secure, very clean-looking from the outside. Or we'd rivet straps to the hangers (and rivet the hangers to the gutter) and run the straps into the roof if the fascia wasn't suitable.
Here's one that looks about right (no connection, just saying): http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/guttersdirect_2028_1422095