!@#$ Textured Paint

A previouse owner of the house I just bought used textured paint ON THE WALLS in the kitchen.
When I say textured, I MEAN textured. This stuff is nasty.
My wife (SWMBO) wants the walls smooth. As I see it, I have two choices. Belt sand the garbage off, or go over the walls with another layer of drywall.
I'm really considering the layer of drywall route. I drywalled 3 rooms in a previous house with pretty good results.
Does anyone know if they still make 1/4 inch drywall or is 3/8 the thinnest available.
Any other ideas / suggestions?
Thanks Brad

I was able to find 1/4" a year or two when I needed some.
I would also go the belt sander route. Also, I am wonder why you don't just take out the wall and drywall with regular thickness drywall.

When I say textured, I MEAN textured. This stuff is nasty.
My wife (SWMBO) wants the walls smooth. As I see it, I have two choices. Belt sand the garbage off, or go over the walls with another layer of drywall.
I'm really considering the layer of drywall route. I drywalled 3 rooms in a previous house with pretty good results.
Does anyone know if they still make 1/4 inch drywall or is 3/8 the thinnest available.
Any other ideas / suggestions? <<<<<<
Be REALLy careful if you try the belt sander, I guy I was working w/ didn't like a mud job he had done so he was going to "belt sand it smooth". He was through the mud, ppaer & into the drywall core in a heartbeat! I would tearoff & replace before I would belt sand.
Yes they do make 1/4" drwall, I got some from HD & used it to cover a small area in a kitchen where I moved a fan & some lights. Are you sure the 1/4" will lay flat over the testure?
Maybe knock of some of the texture & remud to "smooth" or a combo of the two ideas.
cheers Bob
You could use drywall mud and skim the walls. Two coats and some sanding should do it. Of course the resulting dust in the rest of the house will make probably make your wife file for divorce. Damned if you do, and damned if you dont...
BobK207 wrote:

What kind of paint was used? If it was a latex, use a new, clean pump up style sprayer and wet the walls and then lightly scrape it with a 12" knife.

Hmmm... Worth a try...
Brad

Belt sander is the worst choice.