Texture Ceiling - Water Stain

All,

my bathroom flooded and caused a water stain on the kitchen ceiling. is it possible to just use an aerosol can of bin and just dab it on the ceiling to remove the stain and be done?

the ceiling is white and textured....

i am new at this and looking for a quick and easy solution. i have searched this forum, but didnt find an exact answer.

regards,

tom

Reply to
tdurlach

If it's just a water stain, you might try bathroom mildew stain remover (with bleach). Give it a light spraying and the stain *should* disappear. Worked for me once at any rate. KB

Reply to
KB

If that doesn't do it. bring some Rustoleum and Krylon spray color chips home and see how well you can match the ceiling paint. It won't be perfect, but odds are that in few months you won't even notice it and in five years it will allblend together. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Use a spray bottle with a bleach/water mixture and mist the area and wipe away. I've used this method and it worked well. It may take a few attempt, but I did remove a ceiling stain this way.

Don't try this on a pop corn ceiling texture.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Water stains are a stubborn bunch. You can try all the rest of the suggestions and when the stain comes back, do this:

Find a can of Kilz Upshot. It is in most of the homeowner stores and is an aerosol can of stain sealer that sprays straight up. Use this to paint over the stain. May take two cans depending upon the size of the stain.

If you have acoustic texture on your ceiling, then get a can of acoustic white paint and paint over the Kilz. Should match pretty closely. Use a thick nap roller to paint over the ceiling texture.

If you have other types of texture and it is painted, then you will have to get a sample and have it matched at a paint store, then paint over the kilz with that. You can often get a sample of your ceiling color (a square inch or less will be enough) from the ceiling in your closet or someplace that will not be as noticeable as on your kitchen ceiling if all of your ceilings are the same.

Good luck.

Reply to
Robert Allison

hey guys

thanks for our suggestions. i am a new home owner, and i think this group is GREAT (alot of activity). right now, i am trying the bleach method which is going well. i think a few more applications, and the stain will be gone.

once again thanks,

timis

ps i am sure i will be posting more questions, problems in the future

- i appreciate all the suggestions!

Reply to
tdurlach

If the stain remains an eye-soar, do as others mention about prime and paint. Try to keep the work area small!

-- Oren

Oren