Texas secedes

Page 3 of 3
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Back then, I considered my self a "pragmatic conservative", i.e., a Republican. My three best friends were:
Richard - A libertarian before there was such a thing, Larry - A conservative Democrat a la Bill Clinton Mike - A liberal Democrat, nephew of Ralph Yarborough
We got along famously, probably because there was a lot of one-upsmanship, but never any personal insults. There were even some things we could agree on, like the time we got the president of the student body drafted. (Well, ALMOST drafted - he got his notice of pre-induction physical and joined the Air Force Reserve. Chickenshit bastard. If you're interested in the story, I'll gladly repeat it.)

The last draftee apparently retired this week as a Command Sgt. Major.
On 7/5/2011 8:21 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I saw the interview, an interesting story about a fellow who never would have thought he would spend 40 years in the Army. :-)
TDD
On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 08:29:52 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I liked the part where he said he was all excited because the President actually wrote to him! and where he talked about trying to negotiate with recruiters.<BG>
Meanwhile--- I enlisted in '68 with every intention of doing 20. 4 years was 2 too many. Amazing how dumb a 17yr old can be.
Jim

Harvard: Roberts(56), Scalia(75), Kennedy(74), Breyer(72), Kagan(51) Yale: Alito(61), Sotomayer(57), and Thomas (63) Columbia: Ginsburg(78)
Law School: Not so diverse. Age: None young (as would be expected for a number of reasons)

Thanks. Who are you? (-:
-- Bobby G.

Me, of course.
<stuff snipped>

It's scary and very annoying. I spend a lot of time on the net just because a lapse usually passes in a minute or two. That's OK for written responses but as my wife says, breaking into the 1000 yard stare every few minutes makes good conversation harder and harder. So I hang out with the dog alot and my friend who's even farther along the memory loss trail than I am. My wife says watching us talk is like watching a very demented Abbot and Costello sketch. I wish I could recall some examples. It is kind of funny sometimes because one of us will complete the other's stalled thought. When I get bored I sign on to Usenet and beat up on HeyBub. (-:
For instance, I didn't remember that I wrote this answer before I sent the other one. Oh well.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Nah! The older you get, there are more things to remember. The time lag is merely searching through all the brain's file cabinets.
Still, it could be worse.
I heard one Texan lament that he forgot to remember the Alamo.