Texas secedes

Page 1 of 3
From the light-bulb ban.
"Texas Gov. Rick Perry today signed a law that will free Texans from the federal governments impending incandescent light bulb ban..."
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/06/20/everythings-bigger-and-now-also-brighter-in-texas/

Go ahead and succeed. What did you ever contribute, other than ZZ Top! ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

Uh, in many areas, Texas HAS succeeded.

What? Prison guards?
On 07/01/2011 08:17 AM, notbob wrote:

More likely the direct result of increased US military activity.
cjt wrote:

You may have a point there. Virtually all military folks cycle through Ft Hood on their way overseas. During orientation someone probably points out that by switching a soldier's state of residence to Texas, he can avoid his original state's income tax. Two to ten percent of a meager paycheck is a significant amount.

This guy IS running for President, isn't he?
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Nah. Recent polling says Perry would lose to Obama. In Texas! http://race42012.com/2011/06/29/poll-analysis-ppp-vs-obama-texas /
Of course the polling outfit, PPP, is a Democratic-affiliated group but I'm sure that has no bearing on the results.

Uh, yeah, maybe take a look at the Wall Street Journal's opinion of this "Democratic-affiliated group"
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/track.asp
HP
Higgs Boson wrote:

Like I said...
Bob F wrote:

Texas has ocean ports, we can directly import all the incandescent lamps that China wants to send us.
Bob F wrote:

And another cottage-industry springs up!

Imports are controlled by the Feds. Intrastate commerce isn't supposed to be but don't bet on it.

Maybe someone can buy the Sylvania(?) plant that just closed and move it. Meanwhile, I'll continue laying in a lifetime supply.

Wasn't it former Texas governor George W. Bush that signed the stinkin' CFL provision into law? Ironic that a sitting Texas governor is trying to undo it. Incandescent bulbs need tungsten and I don't recall Texas producing much of it. The Feds may control the issue after all. I'm laying in a lifetime supply as well.
-- Bobby G.

I don't believe anyone, other than himself perhaps, called GWB conservative. Certainly not I.

Sure, they could ban the sale of tungsten, for the children, of course. It would pretty much have to be an outright bad, though.

I have about 50 clear 60W bulbs in my house. I figure 500 spares ought to do it.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

Perhaps you haven't noticed that there is a rapidly expanding array of encapsulated halogen lamps to take the place of conventional incandescents if you don't like CFLs. Halogens are more efficient, have better color temperature and longer service life than conventional incandescents, and other wise have the instant on performance that some seem to prefer over the 100ms turn on of a CFL.

Medium-base tungsten-halogens are on the endangered list, too.
Smitty Two wrote:

I use a lot of CFLs and I've yet to find a single one remotely close to "5 minutes to get to full brightness". Even for little 9W CFLs used in a ISO storage container at about 10F winter, total warmup time was on the order of 45 seconds.

Yet I've had some (especially the circle types) that took even longer to come to full brightness. Since 90% of the bulbs in my house are never on for five minutes (some never on for even 45 seconds), it's not acceptable.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

As noted, the only slow warm-up I have ever seen on a CFL was at 10F which is below their normal operating temp range, and even then it was only about 45 seconds.
As I've noted in the past, CFLs seem to need a couple hours of burn-in time from new to settle in, if you give them that time upfront they never seem to have the slightest issue for the next 5 or 6 years or better.