Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

Page 4 of 6
Per snipped-for-privacy@home.com:

I think turning off the stationary vehicle's lights would significantly decrease the chances of a collision.
I once heard an Atlantic City Expressway police rep characterize a car parked on the shoulder at night with lights on as a "Drunk Magnet".
--
Pete Cresswell

In driver ed, we learned to put the four way flashers on.
Love the "drunk magnet" descriptor.
I think turning off the stationary vehicle's lights would significantly decrease the chances of a collision.
I once heard an Atlantic City Expressway police rep characterize a car parked on the shoulder at night with lights on as a "Drunk Magnet".
--
Pete Cresswell

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Unfortunately, a lot of folks put the flashers on when they drop below the normal minimum speed. In some states the law says you have to have flashers on below 40mph on the highways. Getting as far off the road as possible and turning off the lights is the best option really. And don't stay in the vehicle either, get over the guardrail or barrier and further away.

That works with fog - but what do you do in a BLIZZARD. At below zero F.
I've been trapped in white outs, that's no fun. I try to keep rolling, carefully. Low beams. Four way flashers if going slowly.

best option really. And don't

guardrail or barrier and

That works with fog - but what do you do in a BLIZZARD. At below zero F.

If you're as far off the road as possible you'd be beyond guardrails and barriers. If there's a guardrail/barrier limiting getting off the road, you don't want to stop there.
If you can get well off the road you want to stay in the vehicle for it's protection. -----
- gpsman
Per Stormin Mormon:

The guy from the ACX specifically identified flashers as a problem.
Having read this thread, I'm with Pete C: Don't just get as far off the road as possible and turn the lights off; but exit the vehicle and get even further away. My choice in getting further away if I had a choice would be upstream from my vehicle as well as further laterally.
--
Pete Cresswell

<stuff snipped>

I used to be a police reporter and did lots of "ride alongs" with State Troopers and the county police. One of Maryland's first female troopers lost both legs below mid thigh because she stopped on the shoulder, standing between her cruiser and the car she had just pulled over when a drunk driver slammed into her cruiser and pinned her between the two cars, crushing her legs like mashed potatoes.
A veteran trooper gave me a very useful piece of information: When you need to pull over the the shoulder, get as far off the roadway as you can. Another important tip was to exit the travel lane very quickly, spending as little time riding on the shoulder as possible.
If you watch experienced troopers, they stay in the travel lanes as long as possible and then quickly pull onto the shoulder. The reason is that the shoulder is often littered with broken glass and all sorts of other debris that is knocked off the main roadway. The longer you drive on the shoulder, the more likely you are to get a flat tire.
-- Bobby G.
On Nov 23, 6:09pm, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

No, they won't. The shoulder isn't much safer, nitwits hit cops on the shoulder with their lights going in clear conditions, day and night.
"Good driver" choices are limited to getting _way_ away from the road, and that possibility can be extremely questionable. Fog can be so thick you can't even see the fog line much less an exit, much less where you're going without the benefit of the lights of other motorists (whatever little help they may be on the road, you miss them when they're gone).
If you get caught out there in extremely limited visibility there are often no good answers. If you don't know what you're talking about stop trying to provide them. -----
- gpsman
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:08:22 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a target. Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe place.
For sure, too easy to get hit from behind.
In Drivers Ed, they told if you had to pull over in fog, use the four way flashers.

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a target. Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe place.

That's fine if you can see to GET to the exit. You need a good GPS to tell you if there is one close when you can't see 10 feet in any direction.
On 11/23/2012 11:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For sure. Thats why in some areas with say winding roads they realized it makes sense to provide free towing service off the highway for breakdowns because a car on the shoulder is an accident waiting to happen. The Schuylkill Expressway in Philly area is one, PennDOT has a number of tow trucks in service just to get vehicles off the road/shoulder. Clearing such vehicles makes sense.

And they are going to tow off every car that pulls over in a bad bank of fog?? I don't think so! They pull the trucks off the road when visibility gets bad.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And if you are in a place that is far from the next exit, get as far off the road as possible, turn off your lights so other vehicles don't follow your tail lights thinking that's where the road is, and get out of your vehicle and further away, preferably beyond guardrails or other barriers.

Yes!!
Harry K
On 11-24-2012 10:38, Pete C. wrote:

OK for fog; not OK for blizzard.
--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible

Why so? You are just as likely to get smashed in low visibility in a blizzard as in a fog.. Of course plow berms, etc may prevent getting off the road.
Harry K

How are you going to keep from freezing to death in a howling 50 MPH wind at -4F if you get out of your car? And how are you going to get OFF the road in the first place if there is a snow-plow ridge 5 feet high on each side of the road??
Think about it. Then think again and consider your answer.
On Nov 26, 4:44am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm well off the roadway, why would I need to get out of the car? Cell to call a tow if one is needed and plenty of fuel to sit and wait.
And how are you going to get

Already mentioned by me in the very post you replied to.

BTW I am repeating information given in driver's ed manuals, many articles on "how to drive in bad conditions" and advice given in newspapers at the start of almost every wingter.
Where is your source for "continue to the next exit"?
Harry K

Not only thought about it before posting (more than once BTW) and know that that iss the advice given by professionals.
It is fine to come up with your own theories of stuff but don't expect people to buy them because _you_ said so.
Harry K