Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

Wish it were the speeder in the ditch.

Both times I'm thinking about, I made the mistake of trying to drive a "little" faster, and I was the one who landed, backwards, on the guard rail.

Though, I have seen plenty of people in the ditch as I crawled by at a safe speed.

.

And a few moments later you find the "hot dog" backwards in the ditch.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been trapped in white outs, that's no fun. I try to keep rolling, carefully. Low beams. Four way flashers if going slowly.

Christ>Getting as far off the road as

best option really. And don't

guardrail or barrier and

That works with fog - but what do you do in a BLIZZARD. At below zero F.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Per Stormin Mormon:

In my case, what momentarily confused me was that I was not trying to drive faster. In fact, I was paying close attention to not varying the power at all (to avoid loosing traction).

What got me was that the road's grade had increased very slightly and I was apparently close to the edge of adhesion to begin with.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

If you're as far off the road as possible you'd be beyond guardrails and barriers. If there's a guardrail/barrier limiting getting off the road, you don't want to stop there.

If you can get well off the road you want to stay in the vehicle for it's protection. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I'm familiar with that highway since I lived in Beaumont once. Some people who live there drive crazy like driving 70 mph in blinding fog when they can't even see in front of their car/truck. I saw this when I lived there unfortunately.

Reply to
Doug

Assuming there are berms. In many places, there is but a normal width shoulder, a very dangerous place to stop in good weather, let alone in fog. If no place to hide, I'm getting off.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A few years ago I was on my way to work and saw flashing lights ahead. Turned out to be a woman off the road. Fortunately, it was just grass and easily towed out. Going home that night, I aw her again. . . off the road.

Some people should just stay home when it snows.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's being worked on. Liability is the big reason it isn't here now.

Reply to
krw

Or get themselves a tracked vehicle. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If you have room, i.e., not a lot of traffic, front-wheel drive and cruise control is great.

If the drive wheels begin to slip, CC keeps them going at a speed consistent with the car's speed, so that as soon as the road gets a little less slippery, they grip again.

But fog and traction aren't related.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Maybe on older cars, but not on new ones with traction control or Electronic Stability Control. As soon as the computer senses a slip of a wheel, it cuts of the CC.

Besides, CC keeps the wheel going at a speed consistent with what the care "should" be traveling at so if it slows down due to slippage it is going to provide more power so it slips even more.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wrong: CC will maintain the same engine RPM needed to maintain a certain speed Set it for 60, hit a spot where it looses traction and those drive wheels will still be doing 60mph until traction is resumed.

Running CC in bad conditions is NOT recommended.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What year did that begin? My car is a 2005 and it would be nicee to have that. Dunno if it doe.

Ummm, sorta. It will actually _decrease_ power while the wheels are spinning as less power is neededd to keep them rotating at the set speed. It _will_ increase power to reaccelerate the vehicle to set speed when traction is regained - that is the cuase of that "It will take off like an airplane" moronic old wives tail that circulated around e-mail for awhile.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Same here. Came out of Boise ID back in the late 50s doing 65 on a 4- lane. Stopped with no problem out in the country to "releive the main vein" and went flat on my back. There was no clue that black ice had developed. Slowed WAY down after that.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Odd, I thought that was self evident...but apparently not. You also forgot to mention guard rails, deep ditchs, rock cliffs, etc.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It is the rare freeway that does not have wide, shallow berms. Of course the byways are another sory.

You are in dense fog and will wait for an exit? Not me, I will be as far off the road as I can get (withoing reason) as soon as I can find the edge of the highway.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

There's no easy answer if you can't see where you're going, unless you really know the road. Plenty of interstates have steep drop-offs past the edge. Am I driving into a river? I'm sure that many won't leave the road for that reason. And with drainage at the sides, you're probably looking at a tow and maybe some repairs. If it came to it, I'd probably go left into the median. But hell, you can't see that either.

Reply to
Vic Smith

My 2001 Buick was like that and my 2007, 2010, 2013 Hyundai Sonatas are like that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wow you guys don't know how to easily recognize it? No need to risk your life getting out of the car. You know it is there when you are suddenly going 50 mph backwards in the other lane. Slow rotation, but no loss of speed. Came to a gentle stop against a snow bank. All I had to do was turn around, change my underwear, and proceed much slower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Pardon????? Cruise control on a slippery surface? You've got a death wish, buddy. Read ANY operators manual - they expressly warn AGAINST using cruise on a slippery surface. Even with traction control, the Mystique warned against it - and that was ALL SPEED traction control - front drive.

Even worse if you happen to have a trac-loc front diff.

Reply to
clare