Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

Page 3 of 6
On 11-25-2012 13:17, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nope, just doing what works.
--
Wes Groleau

β€œThere ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over.”
βœ–

Or like the time i hit black ice on the road along the Conestoga River with the 69 dart. I was just poking along and I thought it felt like I had a slack tire. I got out and promptly sat on my ass on the pavement. I couldn't stand on it - yet I could drive on it - and that was without studs.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Nov 24, 5:40 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Same here. Came out of Boise ID back in the late 50s doing 65 on a 4- lane. Stopped with no problem out in the country to "releive the main vein" and went flat on my back. There was no clue that black ice had developed. Slowed WAY down after that.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow you guys don't know how to easily recognize it? No need to risk your life getting out of the car. You know it is there when you are suddenly going 50 mph backwards in the other lane. Slow rotation, but no loss of speed. Came to a gentle stop against a snow bank. All I had to do was turn around, change my underwear, and proceed much slower.
Add pictures here
βœ–

At night it's easy to tell when you've hit black ice, even before the front end points backwards. It's called "black ice" for a reason. You can't see it because there is no back-scatter from the headlights.
When we lived in Vermont, I'd hit it occasionally. I usually found the shoulder (where the sand and other debris accumulates) before things got out of control but once in NY, I did the multiple 360s trick before I found the shoulder. I *didn't* see that one coming (though I should have). No paint lost, though.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Then there was the time I had to deliver/install about 20 CD Rom servers to libraries across eastern/northern Ontario in late November - rented cube-van, and away I went.Heading out the 401 eastboud around Kingston or Belleville I noticed vehicles starting to go "slideways". I was only doing about 85Kph, but when I lifted my foot to slow down., I felt the big van start to go too - popped it into neutral, foot off the brake, and right down the first ramp to the first Motel I could find. Then coming back around Bancroft a couple days later - with no load left in the truck and a pretty good snow going, I came down a hill and I felt it getting loose again - was getting dark, and there was a "motel" sign up the hill to the right. I just let the van into the turnoff lane and called it a night.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Nov 25, 5:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Reminds me of the time I got caught in a "Norther" in north Texas. Conditions got so bad I couldn't see to een turn around and go back to where I had spent the night. Slow, very careful driving got me into Amarillo where I hit a red light, steped on brake gently and went through light backwards. First Motel got my business.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/24/2012 12:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Me too. 75 is no issue for modern cars.

You see that all of the time. Someone decides to go 20 under the speed limit when conditions don't require it and everyone trying to figure out how to get around them.
Add pictures here
βœ–

The design of the car is neither here nor there In the event of accident,you have ten times the likelyhood of being dead at 75 rather then 35 mph.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Have any statistics to back that up?
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

The problem is that if one _does_ slow down to a reasonable speed they will be way slower than everybodyi else.
Very few people have any concept at all of driving on slick, snow or ice and especially in fog. They do not slow down enough and never allow enough space. Even on dry pavement the spacing is about 1-2 seconds between cars in the "parades" and they don't increase it if they do slow down.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

Around here if they don't "get a concept" pretty quickly they are not driving very long - we get enough slick, icy, snowy roads and fog in the average winter to take a fair number off the road within the first few weeks of winter.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:35:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A few years ago I was on my way to work and saw flashing lights ahead. Turned out to be a woman off the road. Fortunately, it was just grass and easily towed out. Going home that night, I aw her again. . . off the road.
Some people should just stay home when it snows.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/24/2012 10:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Or get themselves a tracked vehicle. ^_^
http://www.americantracktruck.com/uploads/images/American%20Track%20Truck%20Dominator%20Subaru%20Impreza%20WRX%20STI%20Rally%20Car.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/c7vy6co
http://www.americantracktruck.com /
http://www.trucktracks.com /
http://www.mattracks.com /
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Getting well off the road, and turning off your lights so other drivers do not follow your tail lights thinking that's where the road is would be sensible.

Total nonsense, may have been correct in the days of the Model T, but certainly not for any modern auto.

More nonsense. Following distance needs to account for your reaction time and the potential delta between your braking distance and that of the vehicle in front of you. This does not need to take speed into account since speed affects both your vehicle and the one in front of you. If you are in a big truck and following a small car you need more following distance since the vehicle you are following can stop in a shorter distance than you can. Conversely if you are in a small car following a large truck you need less following distance since you can stop in a shorter distance than the vehicle you are following.

Then you are causing a hazard and need to get off the road. If you cannot drive at the minimum speed limit for the road (45 for most highways) it's time to get off the road entirely.

This has nothing to do with Texas, the same sudden fog accidents happen regularly in other states as well.
Minimum speed limits are typically posted on major highways, usually they're 20 mph below the upper limit. In pretty much every state if you are traveling below 25mph (your heavy fog comment) you are legally required to have a slow vehicle triangular reflective sign on your vehicle (parades exempt).
Add pictures here
βœ–

The drivers aren't thinking simultaneously.. It is a cascade effect. The first driver has finished his thinking process before the second one starts his. So you are the one talking crap.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Loads of it.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 08:10:01 -0800 (PST), harry

That's what he said, dummy.

No, harry, once again you're proving yourself to be the illiterate old git that you are. Do try to read.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Before calling "nonsense" perhaps you should review some of the student driver course matieal. That _is_ what was taught. It has now been replaced by "3 seconds" and recommenteded is 4. At least one can quickly check the spacing and doesn't need to estimate "what is a car lenght and hwo many are between me and next guy".
Kinda pointless though as hardly anyone allows more than about 1 - 1 . 5 sec. That is the cause of all the multi car rear-enders. Those spaces should be increased greatly in foggy conditions.
Harry K
This does not need to take speed into
are you?

So somehow 1 car length per 10 mph is ignoring the speed factor? In what universe

The 3 second (or 4) takes that into account.

No shit Dick Tracy. Got any more words of wisdom that are already known by everybody?

Brilliant!! Minimum is posted say 45, fog conditions make that too fast but one is not allowed to slow down!! Wow!!

Agree, it also has zippo to do with that 85 mph speed limit. The accident didn't happen on that stretch of highway - not even close to it.

Holy Shit!! Do you care to rethink that asinine bit?? Ask any cop about it and prepare to be arrest ed for idiocy. That is for regular traffic, not for bad conditions. Actually you can get a ticket for 'too fast for conditions even at 25 mph.
I haven't seen a minimuim posted on any US or interstate highway out in this region.
Did see a few back when back East.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–

You are mostly headed in the right direction - but following a big truck too closely, and not being able to see what is ahead of the truck can give you a LOT of hurt if something happens that causes the trucker to try too hard to stop, and he ends up jack-knifed or otherwize crosswize across the road.

I don't think you drive in really adverse conditions very often. Minimum speed is ALSO for specific conditions.

Or your 4 way signals on.
Add pictures here
βœ–