teturing walls

Hello, I have never posted to this group in the past, but read when time permits. I now have a question. Our house was built in early 60s and the walls do not have a nice texture (old paneling was removed from one section). I want to re-texture the walls with this gun and hopper thing we have that hooks up to an air compressor. The walls have semi-gloss paint on them. Do these walls have to have something done to them (primer) before I do the retexturing? I fear that the mud will not stick to the semi-gloss paint. Or can I just spray on the mud, then prime, then paint?
Thank you very much for any comments.
--
Kathy
www.ambergriscaye.com/villadelsol
Kathy
www.ambergriscaye.com/villadelsol
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:45:26 -0700, "Kathycarp"

When you top posted, the thread quote was clipped by the server. -- Oren

Since my comment only pertained to the subject line, and not the text of the post, I guess that's okay.
Kathy
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:37:04 -0700, "Kathycarp"

Quoting here from the spray texture I've used:
"Surfaces must be dry, clean, firm and free of dust, dirt, oil, wax, loose paint and plaster." No mention of gloss-paint.
-- Oren

Thank you, Oren. I guess I can proceed without primer. Will check on the label of the texture I end up buying.
Kathy
I have re-textured walles with semi-gloss, and it works fine....if you can swing it...spray the primer.
good luck,
DAC

There really isn't much need for primer. You're better off simply using 2 coats of quality paint - the first acts as primer. There is no need for specialty primer because the texture coat is pretty much by definition clean, dry, and a good substrate for paint. Another reason is that you might be perfectly satisfied with the first coat only of a quality paint.

Thanks, Jeff.
Kathy