testing fluorescent light fixture

I have a fluorescent light fixture that just went bad on me. Is there a way to test the fixture by using a volt meter or multimeter? where do i put the volt meter probs? in other words--my fixture is for a 48" bulb, do i need stretch the volt meter across the entire 48" or just across the 1" on one side of the fixture? what should my volt meter display?

i don't know if it matters or not but here's the details of my fixture and bulb: uses only 1 48" bulb, rapid start, 34Watts.

Reply to
seannakasone

Hi, Ballast problem most likely or those fixtures are pretty cheap to replace.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If replacing the lamp does not fix it, just replace it. 98% of the 4 ft fixtures out there junk. I suggest you get a really good one this time and if you have more than one, plan on replacing them all one at a time. You may want to go to a real lighting store to find a really good one.

The good ones last far longer, are quiet and more efficient.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan