testing fluorescent light fixture

I have a fluorescent light fixture that just went bad on me. Is there a way to test the fixture by using a volt meter or multimeter? where do i put the volt meter probs? in other words--my fixture is for a 48" bulb, do i need stretch the volt meter across the entire 48" or just across the 1" on one side of the fixture? what should my volt meter display?
i don't know if it matters or not but here's the details of my fixture and bulb: uses only 1 48" bulb, rapid start, 34Watts.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Ballast problem most likely or those fixtures are pretty cheap to replace.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If replacing the lamp does not fix it, just replace it. 98% of the 4 ft fixtures out there junk. I suggest you get a really good one this time and if you have more than one, plan on replacing them all one at a time. You may want to go to a real lighting store to find a really good one.
The good ones last far longer, are quiet and more efficient.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit