testing electric fence?

Page 2 of 2
On 7/5/2016 8:13 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Does the fence pulse have enough energy to cause a magnetic compass to "jump"? If so, hold a compass up to the wire and see if it jumps when the pulse fires. If it does, move further down the line until it stops jumping. The short to ground should be right there.

Very interesting. I usually visit mom once a week. Your suggestion, and others here, will be useful when I visit next week.
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 11:13:21 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. Normally an animal is grounded, standing on the earth, the wire insulated. The animal completes the circuit. Here the wire is on top of a creosote timber, sounds like the small animal, eg rabbit or squirrel is on top of the timber too, so there is no circuit.
Testing with a cheap neon tester like you'd use for AC or for a car ignition tester would work.
On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 06:08:39 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

There are two parallel wires along the tops of the ties. One is connected to ground.
Remember it worked for years, until this summer. What I am going to do on my next visit is to visually follow the wires around and see if I can spot some damage.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 22:13:15 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Standard fence insulators are very effective and reasonably priced. Something like ten bux for 30.

Find a city-slicker, grab their hand with your left, and grab the fence with your right. You'll find out rather quickly if it is working properly.
On 07/05/2016 8:51 PM, Don Wiss wrote: ...

What's to know? Either there's output or there's not.
Simplest way to check is simply take a screwdriver(*) and touch the hot to ground and see if get a hot spark...if not, you've either got a ground or an open.
Disconnect the fence/wire at the charger and check the outputs there the same way.
Don't know anything about the specific unit; older ones used a electro/mechanical "chopper" that could fail--a plug in unit looking physically much like the old turn signal chopper; functions same way. Some, in fact, actually used them altho afaik now if it's not all solid state they're 3- or 4-prong "timers"...same function.
<http://www.dareproducts.com/products/view/293/3-prong-timer
(*) Dad always carried a pair of CeeTee pliers which have no insulation on handles. _IF_ you are sure to get a good ground against the post, you can do the above test without getting shocked yourself. It does, however, take some practice to do it right every time... :)

Doesn't anyone own a neon tester anymore? Just getting it close to the wire should light it up. OTOH you could just touch it with the back of your hand. It won't kill you. If you are wearing rubber soled shoes it won't even hit you that hard.

Sure, but they're _way_ overkill for the job at hand... :)

There are no manly men left.
--
Tekkie

Grab the wire. If it doesn't set you on your ass it's not working.
Are the wires mounted properly on insulators??
Chippies can jump over / between the wires without touching the wires - and definitely without touching both wire and ground. To be effective you need wires stretched about 1.2 -2 inches apart - alternating between grounded and powered so the have to touch both going through.
Wed, 06 Jul 2016 01:51:40 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

The animals have to be able to complete the circuit, or, nothing will happen. You can hold a hot wire all day long, as long as you're not a source to ground. You might want to change your search parameters. Lowe's carries a simplistic one for less than ten dollars; Neon lights and resistors, I don't remember the exact range limit...5kv.. mebbe 10kv.. I don't think it'll do much
http://www.zarebasystems.com/store/electric-fence-accessories/deft-z
it's around $50 or so. Digital, more in lines of what you're looking for. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, though.

I know you said your meter says all is well, but, it does sound like you've got a short circuit in the fence wiring. If you don't resolve it, you can damage the chargers internal circuitry upto and including it's coil.
It's important to have a good ground and a ground 'bed' too. I run multiple wires myself. Switching between ground and 'hot' as I go. That way, the animal has a better chance of completing the circuit if they come across it. I don't have to rely on the critter to be standing on the ground and have the ground moist or anything to make it a good conductor. Redundancy is achieved with my additional wires on the fence that are ground wires. As in, ground, hot, ground, hot, ground, hot, etc.
I also have three wires in close proximity to each other across the top. The middle wire is hot (it's sitting on a thin piece of plastic on the top of the pole, so that it isn't shorted out as the pole is ground and has ground wires attached to it), the left and right are grounds; so if a critter decides to try some high tight rope walking, I *should* still get them. Unless the little bastard has small enough paws to walk the middle wire without touching anything else. I've yet to see one do that, though.
Funny story concerning continuity testing with a meter. I noticed wiring a house once, on an especially long run, the meter showed no short circuit, but firing the breaker for that wire resulted in a trip right away. A hard trip, so, yea, a short circuit. Nothing was plugged into the receptacles on the line; so it wasn't an issue of a plugged in device having a short. It was my meter not using enough juice for a continuity test of the distance I was trying.
Yours may also have the same problem.

Google is very helpful. I found instructions/schematics for building my own. So far, it works well, too. [g] It's using a coil intended for a v8 though.. Likely putting a lot more on the lines than I need, but, it's keeping critters away from my moms garden, quite nicely. Why, it's even removing weeds near the fence line. ROFL. And, it's made me want to piss myself on more than one occasion when I screwed up and made contact with it while it was energized.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/hfelv98
https://www.kencove.com/fence/26_Ground+Bed_resource.php
If you follow that wiring suggestion, you'll have better results with the electric fence.
Here's a nice schematic for one that I've tested based on it and succesfully built. A word of caution, when assembling/playing with these devices, do not touch any components while it's energized. you'll feel like you got kicked by a horse, hard! You might think a 12volt power source won't do anything, but, by the time it's coming out of the device, it's not 12volts anymore.. and, it'll do more than tingle.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/jxeulwv
That doesn't include the time I was using a push mower and got too close to one of my hot wires. It arced and I got it. Ouchie #2
Good luck and happy experimenting!