testing a GFCI where no ground is available?

If only it were that simple. The deposit is almost always held in escrow. And whoever is holding it in escrow, can't just release it unless both parties agree to it. Depending on exactly what the contract says about the inspection contigency, the buyer could be within their contractual rights. Or it could be unclear. Also, the above approach could make sense in a hot market, or even a reasonable market, but now?

Also unstated is what the buyer has asked to be done about this, if anything. All we know is the home inspector flagged it. Usually, the contract would say that after the inspection, the buyer has X days to notify the seller in writing of any issues they want remedied.

If they have done that, then I would probably call in a licensed electrician and have them take a look, then write me a letter stating that the wiring in question is safe and meets NEC. Send a copy of that to the buyer, along with responses to any other issues.

Reply to
trader4

Unless any protected receptacles have 3-wire connections and only have two (Hot/Neutral with no earth ground receptacle pin), everything is fine and there's no problem. I suspect he may be objecting to the lack of earth ground where you have 3-wire receptacles NOT marked. f they're marked as no ground, then I think you have to go down and talk to them - something's rotten in Denmark.

If a test needs to be done as you describe, that's the inspector's job to do, not yours. No tester will do anything any better than the 'test" button on your gfci; as should ANY decent gfci tester. And to prove what it protects, just push the TEST switch and see what goes out; everything protected will not have any power to it. Push the RESET switch to turn them back on.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I think you can argue this one yourself by simply arranging a vist to the office once you have your head firmly around the requirements of the NEC. Try googling for "gfci design" WITH THE QUOTES to learn more about how they work in 2-wire setups. Then be sure your receptacles/markings are all in place as the NEC requires for 2 and/or 3 wire receptacles or whatever else might be being protected. The gfci should also be properly current rated of course.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Right.

Reply to
Twayne

That's excellent that it all worked out. Thanks for posting a follow-up.

Reply to
RogerT

So, the gfci does not NEED a ground in order to work?

If yes, then would the presence of a ground make the gfci work (a) any better and (b) would downstream be any safer?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

In article , N8N wrote: ...

Suppose there were two gfcis on the same circuit -- am assuming you mean in series -- what WOULD be the problem if they actually did trip one?

Reply to
David Combs