Termites in decorative fixture

I've got a new house, built last year (2003-04). But I brought to it some ornate antique carved wooden panels to frame an archway -- eight feet tall, two-and-a-half feet wide. These panels haven't been installed yet. I've noticed the telltale signs of termite debris at the foot of these panels where I've got them stored (in a steel and drywall garage).
Is there a way of reasonably cheaply getting rid of the termites in a spot manner? My only experience killing termites has involved putting a tent over a house. I'd hate to throw away these antique panels.
Maybe I can find someone who's having THEIR house tented and get 'em to let me store the panels there during the tenting. ;-)
Jim Beaver
I found a spray can of stuff to kill termites, spray into the holes and no more. We had a couch with termites inside the wood and it got tented but we don't know what with.
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 18:04:00 GMT, "Jim Beaver"

snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.spam says... :) I've got a new house, built last year (2003-04). But I brought to it some :) ornate antique carved wooden panels to frame an archway -- eight feet tall, :) two-and-a-half feet wide. These panels haven't been installed yet. I've :) noticed the telltale signs of termite debris at the foot of these panels :) where I've got them stored (in a steel and drywall garage). :) :) Is there a way of reasonably cheaply getting rid of the termites in a spot :) manner? My only experience killing termites has involved putting a tent :) over a house. I'd hate to throw away these antique panels. :) :) Maybe I can find someone who's having THEIR house tented and get 'em to let :) me store the panels there during the tenting. ;-) :) :) Jim Beaver :) If you are located in an area that fumigations are common you might find a company that gives you access to a reasonably priced fumigation of the pieces. You can also have a company treat them with Termidor and should have good results. I haven't used it on dry wood termites, but termidor has way surpassed what they claimed with control of sub- terranean termites and ant control so I wouldn't think the results for dry woods should be any different.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
How big are these panels? If you can, see if they will fit in your freezer. I seem to remember a termite company advertising termite eradication with liquid nitrogen injections.
If they are bigger you might be able to go someplace with a walk in freezer. Ask your local university extension if this will work.
--

Roger Shoaf

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/tdrywood discusses pretty much exactly this topic. They don't mention liquid borate products like Boracare, Tim-Bor, which may work depending on what the panels are finished with, and whether you can inject or soak them without destroying them.