Termites - I am curious

I am in a community of some 100 modulars and double-wides. Here in Delaware, this is said to be 'termite heaven'. Everyone seems to have them, one time or another.

Today, I find that I do too. I have the so-called 'tunnels' in my garage. Not the house however.

What I am curious about is this - everyone here finds evidence in their garage, but not in or under the house. What is different about a garage? Both the garage(s) and the house itself have cinder block walls on footers. Of course, our garages have a cement flooring. Could that be a factor? Seems like there must be something different in the garages.

Anyone?

Geezer

Reply to
geezer

They like listening to your car radio at night.

Reply to
m Ransley

Termites need water (moisture) to survive and build their tunnels. So my guess would be that they find it more accessible under the concrete slab. Jsck

Reply to
tinacci336

Makes more sense than the radio. :

Reply to
geezer

Perhaps the home was pre-treated for termites and the garage wasn't.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

In article , snipped-for-privacy@willy.com says... :) What I am curious about is this - everyone here finds evidence in :) their garage, but not in or under the house. What is different about :) a garage? Both the garage(s) and the house itself have cinder block :) walls on footers. Of course, our garages have a cement flooring. :) Could that be a factor? Seems like there must be something different :) in the garages. :) :) As mentioned it may be that the house pad was pretreated before construction and the garages were not. It may also be a case where activity is noticed first in the garage. Usually when I treat homes the termites have actually been there a few years before being found, hidden in the walls. If your plumbing is covered by plastic or foam sheathing, you may want to split it open and make sure the tubes are not hidden there.

Reply to
Lar

You may be right. Something obvious, but I wasn't thinking. Anyway thanks for words, and I certainly will look at underlayments when it warms up next.

Geezer

Reply to
geezer

Well I don't know why you would think that the garage is were you find them. In my old house they came in from the outside walls and under the house ( raised foundation) They never went in the garage at all, I had them in the sliding door header, eating the oak flooring , eating the paper on the drywall under the wall paint ( that's how I found them ) Most people assume the eat the wood from the outside in the enter that way then eat from the inside out, They actually tunnel threw the wood so it's impossible to tell what damage has been done. They are pretty interesting little varmints you should read up on them. So my advice termite inspection at least every two years Money well spent. But even they can't see into the walls. I have also hear they have dogs that can find, most likely retired bomb snifters.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave