Termination

Page 1 of 2
I've followed this newsgroup for many years; picked up a lot of useful information, and on occasion given some.
But the newsgroup has deteriorated, and now rarely contains useful information but is flooded with half-witticisms, usually posted by people who couldn't even drive a nail. I don't have the time or inclination to follow the group anymore, so I am moving on.
When usenet became popular, many predicted that the vulgarians would destroy it; others felt that the vulgarians would be driven out by posters with useful information, who were not afraid to call a turd a turd. They felt that objectionable posters would find a more appropriate forum, realizing that they were only embarassing themselves, but that has not proven the case here; apparently a fool doesn't realize that he is a fool.

+1
On 8/3/2015 12:25 PM, No name wrote:

I can3er wreoaply to yaour foarie a eroear days tiatll my mashereierd fingers leharl. Ketper nitting my firnerse r with a hearmm3er.
lrieasnrke therj pusenrmp says, be weselll.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

My kill file for this group grows and grows. It seems like such a good idea, homeowners sharing their experience fixing things.
A few minutes here shows exactly why we can't have nice things.
Can't blame you one bit.
--
Dan Espen

On 8/3/2015 2:27 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

It's true we do have spammers, and trolls. We also have some folks who provide good help. Maggie got her toilet de-limed, and I got my customer's garage door weather stripping done. All, in large part, due to very kind people.
Overall, I do find value in reading this list.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Crap, you beat me to the punch. If this group is so distasteful to him maybe it's him and not the group.
Oren posted for all of us...

He keeps trying to pick it up by the clean end...
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I haven't tried to pick up anything soft and squishy with it yet, I'm afra id it would just smear it around. ¯\_(?)_/¯

l's butt with it. ?(¬ ? ¬)?

You will find that you have to adjust the string that closes the jaws on occasion. Like anything else sometimes you will be surprised what you can pick up but others disappointed and frustrated. My therapain puts a piece o f twine or shoelace through the hole in the handle to be a wrist lanyard.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Maybe you should have contributed more and bitched less. Personally, I don't see many questions that go unanswered, so I really don't know what you're talking about. As far as the noise ratio, it's like hanging out at the hardware store. When there's nothing to do or answer, we shoot the shit. But you will never see this because you've left the building and thats your loss, because there is still lots of good info here and not dying anytime soon Bub bye
In typed:

It's true that, more and more, when I open the group mostly all that I see are serial repetitive moronic posts by one or two posters. Then, buried in there somewhere are the valid questions and helpful replies.
A while back, I tried to get info on newsreaders that would let me do some kind of killfile system to just filter them out. But, I never was able to find such a newsreader or, for the ones that I did find, I honestly couldn't figure out how to set them up and use them.
Right now, I am using Outlook Express as a newsreader and I just now tried setting message filter rules to filter out the one or two complete morons. I'll have to see how that works.
In typed:

P.S. to the OP, No Name:
What newsreader are you using? Have you tried or considered doing a filter or killfile approach with it to block out the main village idiot(s)?
I am trying that now and will see what happens.

Let me know how that works. :-|
typed:

Wow! I think it worked!
I applied the filters and I no longer see Bozo Boy (you know who) and his symbiotic alter ego that replies to almost every one of his posts. The newsgroup screen now looks "normal" with all of the serial repetitive moronic posts no longer taking up the whole screen. I should have figured out how to do that a long time ago.

Thunderbird might suit you. SeaMonkey also has a newsreader function. Both free and from Mozilla.

TomR posted for all of us...

Micro planet Gravity from sourceforge, old but good and free.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

The phrase "Moving on" is what I have to question. What are you moving on to? Let me guess, "Facebook".
I agree there is a lot of trash on this newsgroup, and I have set a lot of filters. But if you think alt.home.repair is full of rubbish, just wait till you get on Facebook. From my very brief encounter with FB, (which lasted about 3 weeks before I deleted the account), I found 99% of the stuff on FB to be complete rubbish.
As far as I'm concerned, the newsgroups are the only thing left on the internet which have any value. About the only other thing I still do online is send/receive private email. Otherwise the internet is just useless crap, especially the WWW.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com writes:

Wikipedia - endless education
Google News (or some other aggregator) - just to know what's going on.
Slashdot - sometimes interesting tech stuff
Fark - fun stories
YouTube is great for instruction. Finally getting my flip turn (swimming) to look half way decent.
All kinds of shopping.
Usenet - discussion (or just plain disgust with the human condition)
--
Dan Espen

snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com posted for all of us...

Perhaps if Googled via the WWW you may gain some knowledge prior to posting you may make progress.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 8/3/15 12:25 PM, No name wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to review my posts and offer valuable criticism.
Thank you for showing the sensitivity not to embarrass me by naming me. I know who you mean, and that's what counts.
Thank you for letting me know why I'm being terminated. Usually, when I find that I'm no longer allowed to post to a group, I'm left to wonder who terminated me and why.
On 8/3/15 12:25 PM, No name wrote:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-send-large-files-for-free/
I've used FTP years ago, when size restrictions on email were tight.
Nowadays, people use cloud services like Google Drive. OS X comes with 5 GB of cloud availability, but I've never looked into it because I haven't had anything big to send.