terlets

have they improved at all with the flushing now that all commodes are no more than 1.6 gallons per flush?

i think i posted here when I installed my first one and provided feedback, not all of it positive.

just wondering.

Reply to
ng_reader

American Standard Cadet 3 FloWise 1.28 GPF

Oversized discharge hole from the tank, oversized opening in the toilet itself. I have 2 in my house and haven't clogged either one in over 3 years. The plunger(s) used to sit right next to our old toilets. Now they're out in the garage someplace.

Don't believe the MSRP shown here. You can get them for under $200 at Home Depot.

DerbyDad03

Some of them ain't worth a shit.

Reply to
Studor Valve

Someone here recommended the Kohler Cimmaron. Doing some additional homework -- many other 'places' recommended it as well. I installed ours a few weeks ago and it has been flawless. A bit pricey at 300 bucks for the 1.6 gallon version, but I didn't want to chance ending up with an inferior product.

Reply to
83LowRider

I recently put in a Kohler 1.6 that is "comfort height" Love it, works perfectly every time. I'm going to put one upstairs soon too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can 2nd that. Good toilet, flushes well. The one I have is about 5 years old and never clogs.

John

Reply to
John

Boo, hiss!

Some of them ain't worth a shit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Toilets only have to deal with deification mormon, which is a comparatively small amount of the shit that comes out of you and Harry on a daily basis.

I've got two American Standard Cubs and a toilet plunger. I use the toilets every day but can't remember the last time I used the plunger. At six two and two hundred and thirty lbs. I can load the bowl. No problems with either of the toilets whatsoever.

If one were to try and flush the shit that you and your buddy produce no toilet in the world could handle it. There isn't enough water in an Olympic sized pool to do the job.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

I built a house 4 years ago with 2 Kohler Cimmarons. As to flushing, I've never had anything not go down in 1 flush. No matter how much paper you dump, it still goes down. A friend has Cimmarons and he said he always holds the flush handle down for more water. Nonsense. They work just the way they are. Now, I'd like to complain about the soft down feature of the seat. In 4 years, I've replaced one and the 2nd one needs replacing. I know Kohler will charge me for it. I don't think that 2 retired people should wear the thing out.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Read all comments with interest.

Few things:

  1. ISTR when low-flows were first mandated, people ordered old-style toile ts from Canada? T/F? Still available? Anybody order them?

  1. Hint to avoid clogging: "Wipes" that are advertised as flushable may n ot be so. Our City sent out a release a while back suggesting it's better not to flush. Excuse the play-by-play detail, but after using TP, use the "wipes", then wrap in TP and dispose in bathroom trash. It's not yucky an d could avoid problems down the line.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Yes I enjoyed perusing them as well.

I have an Eljer one-piece that I do not like at all. Except for the looks, maybe.

I will definitely consider replacing with American Standard, as noted previously.

The biggest problem by far is it is *un-plungable* if that were such a word. The drain is 90 degrees to the bowl.

This Old House still has conventionals that work just fine. It's the new-fangled ones that are cause for consternation.

Reply to
ng_reader

The old toilets can use 5 gallons of water. Big Brother mandated less and the manufacturers just modified existing designs a bit. They were horrid. If you used 1.6 gallons a flush for water you may have save some, but for solids, two or three flushes were needed and even then they were easily clogged.

Finally, the designers got it right. Larger passages got the water to the bowl faster making for a quick and positive flush. The new "comfort height" models allow for a better trap design also.

We remodeled our offices at work in 2008. we installed four new toilets, all 1.6 models and none have clogged yet. I put one in at home and will be doing the other in a month or so.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What the f*ck is a terlet?

Reply to
Jesus.Christ

By 2nd...I assume you mean #2! 8^0

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Hmm. Did you research it on the net?

Better off to ask "what kind of crap is..."

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, I called Kohler to order a replacement 'soft closing' hinge. I complained that there were only 2 of us and I had already replaced the hinge on one of them and had to pay for the part from Kohler. They are sending out a part for the 2nd toilet for free. She said it's covered under warranty. Funny the 1st one wasn't, but I didn't press the issue. I just said thank you.

Reply to
Art Todesco

A little receptacle for terds.

Reply to
hah

You probably never watched the TV show "All In The Family". ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Men gets these here, waddya call, surges, where the chromostones are burlin' over.

Reply to
DerbyDad03