Tentest walls throughout house

I was wondering if anyone had experience with redoing the old tentest walls. Can they be sanded down or plastered to make them smoother looking? There's no wallpaper on them, just paint. What's that stuff made out of anyway?
You are describing a name not familiar. Perhaps only called tentest in canada, describe it.
Andy Hill wrote:

i am familiar with this stuff. be very carefull with this stuff. it was more than likely installed when lead was in paints - as it was in mine so don't sand it. we wall papered over it 1x but found wall paper to be the dirtiest thing in the house - as well the pattern of the tentest showed through.in the end we drywalled right over it.
If it is what I think plaster will crack as that board flexes. You might try texture paint but it may not help much.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

but not as dense. I've heard it called "buffalo board", too.